300 tdi 90 versus v8

orange rover

looking to built a challenge truck. love the rangie, but the bodywork doesn't lend itself to challenge events so thinking about getting a 90. the rangie will stay and be used for expedition travel.

thinking about getting a 300 tdi, don't want the electronics of the td5. currently i'm used to driving a 4.6 V8 auto rangie off road, wich i think is perfect. how shocking will be the performance of a standard 300tdi in comparision to a v8? will a larger intercooler make a difference? or should i face it andf stick a v8 into the 90?

regards

orange

A lot comes down to personal choice really. IMHO the main advantage with a tdi is the waterproofness, although a V8 can be made fairly waterproof too it just requires a lot of work, see HFH threads on MegaJolt/EDIS/etc. If it's a challenge truck rather than daily driver I guess the fuel consumption won't be too much of an issue.

As you are used to a V8 auto are you planning in sticking with the auto ? (I know having gone auto myself I wouldn't want to go back to manual for off road, well not for challenge events anyway) if so that might affect your choice as even a tweeked tdi would be lacking in power compared to a reasonable V8.

Me, I love the V8 auto off road, so much control and instant power when you floor it, oh and the noise of course :D I just keep away from deep water :unsure:

I build all my cars to be LHD, just buy a right hooker and convert it :)

well good idea!

but i thought it was rather difficult to do, new bulkhead, moving brake cylinder + pipes new steering box, new rods new panels, heating etc?

would be happy if it wouldn't, don't hesitate to offer all the right hooker 4.6 90 autos standing around in your backyards :D

regards

orange

Bulkhead is the same, column is the same, minor bits of dash are different but for a challenge truck I'd just strip it back to Series styleee (less carp, less weight),

the big bits you'll need are a steering box, swan neck on the steering linkage and a new RHS (LHD) swivel housing, new PAS pipework, new throttle cable (unless you use a series throttle bar setup), re-pipe the clutch hydraulics and you are on the home straights ;)

or go full hydro and you can put the steering wheel in the boot if you fancy :)