Bunfight

dollythelw

Have you got a Rover down there Lewis? :)

any idea as to the tonnage? are we talking ocean liner father engine or about the same weight as Moglites rubber offcuts box? (300kgs)

Yes Jez, working here does mean theres a few lying around :)

I have no means to weigh it but I know that the crane creaks more when you lift it than when lifting a Lion V8 and thats made of horrible compacted graphite iron.

So using the Ocean Liner/Rubber Princess scale I would say a solid 6. :D

(1 being the entire yearly output of Ann Summers rubberware factory, 10 being the total tonnage of the Russian navys baltic fleet)

Sorry I cant be of more accurate help

Lion is the term designated by Land Rover for the PSA/Ford designed V engines, you probably know them as TDV6 and TDV8. :)

So a Lion auto is fitted to L322 07MY, L320 and L319. These are Land Rover project numbers, i'm not trying to geek you, its just that they are quicker to type :) . L322 is new Range Rover, 320 is Sport, 319 is Disco.

However if you wanted auto cologne then the best option would be the box from a foreign market petrol V6 auto, and if you wanted to add more go (in a big way) and were concerned about the box internals then you could use the bellhousing from a foreign market petrol V6 auto and mate it to an auto from a Lion V8.

The above assumes several things: 1) that the Lion V8 uses stronger internals (if any engine necessitates stronger box internals then surely Lion V8 would be it judging by the figures quoted above for output). 2) that the petrol V6 is cologne stud pattern. 3) that you could source the parts for reasonable money to make it worthwhile (PM me on this if you are truely contemplating this - I may know a man who can) ;) 4) that you could change the shift points in the g/box ecu to suit your engine (I assume this can be done but wouldnt know how to go about it).

Sounds like a nice engine/box combo tho, i especially like the cosworth bit. :D

Sorry to go slightly OT here but is there any aftermarket equivilent to MegaSquirt etc for diseasels? If so would it not be far easier and bling-worthy to go for Lion V8? then you would have no box mating issues etc

Sorry for the long post and probably undoubtedly poor spelling :)

Lewis

Lewis - its all good and the tech is appreciated :i-m_so_happy:

MS for diesels isnt about at the mo, it would be bliss if it was as Beemer lumps would get very very easy :(

if the 4 litre v6 is heavy and isnt make a heap of horse then IF it shares the same stud pattern as the Cologne then the roads open for a twin turbo Cossie 2.9 24v, gets round that annoying revvy bit by thumping out good power at bass end revs (7psi boost), Cossie lumps being 10 a penny seems to be a reasonably move - I think we need the guru of gearboxes to answer the stud pattern issue (where are you Mr Dave A?????????????????????) the Big 8 box (if it handles the power) screwed onto the end would get rid of any gearbox worries and cost a hell of a lot less than a Rakeway/Tremec combo (which I would love but cant afford)

The shift point on the auto is easy - megashift, turn it into a paddle shift bwah ha ha ha :ph34r: and IF my memory serves the 4.4V8 box has an E lockup so bye bye auto downhills issues and a 1st/reverse shuttle switch could be built in to allow quick shifts for when its deep in pooh...

more research necessary......

Lewis - its all good and the tech is appreciated :i-m_so_happy:

Glad to help Jez, its what they pay me for and I've got feck all else to do ;)

I'll see if I can find an engineer around here that knows anything (not likely) and ask the question re cologne bolt pattern.

much appreciated Lewis, the V6 4ltr seems cheap, rip the heads off and keep the injection, persuade some cossie heads on and its got to be worth a laugh :) Ive seen a 4ltr conversion before using a Ranger block so if its similar it should be pretty straightforward, twin turbo would be truly stupid worth doing :)

[fight mode/on]

oi Al you space monkey - are you purely playing Bobs the builders transvestite laborour all weekend or will you actually be doing something useful?

Well I only managed to find one engineer who didnt say "dont you mean diesel?" when I asked about the petrol V6. He hasnt a clue whether it retains the colognes bolt pattern but sees no reason why it shouldnt.

He did have some use though - he said that he could get the drawing of the bell housing off CAD plotted in 1:1 scale and you could hold it up against the back of the block to compare.

Is that any good to you?

[fight mode/on]

Jez, you call that a Competition car? I wouldnt take that boring Series wanna be shopping car to the Scrapiron Novice challenge let alone the Lagoda. Give me a bog standard 68 Series 2 with a thirst for oil and a non-functioning speedo any day!! :D

[fight mode/on]

oi Al you space monkey - are you purely playing Bobs the builders transvestite laborour all weekend or will you actually be doing something useful?

Wassat you land-lubber?

Ah - this weekend? Nah, I'll be playing with a digger all day saturday. Sounds like fun, so if I finish the trench too quickly, I'll just fill it all in again and re-dig it! :P In a hurry? Me?

Maybe you want to borrow the digger to lift that heavy-assed engine lump into the lab...? ;)

Absolutely NOTHING useful planned (except a few pints in 'The Bridge' - critical). Andy has gone quiet, but I think he may come over in his bright pink lycra and Captain Ginger cape and issue orders to the newbie digger driver. It's all going to be a bit X-rated for Bob The Builder...

[On a vaguely serious note - fair play to 'forum newbie' Lewis for coming straight in with the good tech! - Nice input B) ].

:ph34r: I might finish off my welding table and take some measurements for my Mog9s... :ph34r:;)

Al.

At this rate I may cruis past in the Gangsta wagon wiv me beatch and slammed out alloys (the 405 then :lol: )

whens pub time??

Cad works for me Lewis - dxf file available???

of course its not a competition car officer - its a bog standard series, wait till you see whats on the cards this time hehehehhehehe nurse pass me the grinder..................

Absolutely NOTHING useful planned (except a few pints in 'The Bridge' - critical). Andy has gone quiet, but I think he may come over in his bright pink lycra and Captain Ginger cape and issue orders to the newbie digger driver. It's all going to be a bit X-rated for Bob The Builder...

I normally end up in The Bridge two or three evenings a week when SHMBO can't be arsd to cook :lol:

Joking aside

If you need a digger my mate is the manager of Rentool in Chandler Ford.... if its any use

At this rate I may cruis past in the Gangsta wagon wiv me beatch and slammed out alloys (the 405 then :lol: )

For alloys read "missing hubcaps"

If you is out cruizin' stick Lagoda 2006 in your shell-suit. I've got a swap for you.

Beer and diggers could be good.

Cheers Al, thanks for your kind words. The last time I wielded a grinder I managed to almost mince through my finger, so because I cant Fab it means I get to live through you guys :D

Ahh the miracle of t'internet

Cad works for me Lewis - dxf file available???

of course its not a competition car officer - its a bog standard series, wait till you see whats on the cards this time hehehehhehehe nurse pass me the grinder..................

Jez, i'm not sure what format the file would be in - I'm not so highly placed within the company to see the magic happen, I only get to make the parts fit. :o I'll do my best to find out before end of play tomorrow (lunchtime).

whens pub time??

Usually whenever someone wipes their forehead, stretches their back, scribbles on the whiteboard or just picks up a tool...

I.e. whenever you're passing. Will there be a small, spectacle-wearing food-cooling/storage device with you? I think Captain Carrot could be coaxed out...

I know you're only coming to play on the digger - you don't really love me... sniff... :(

Thanks Jules - I think I'm already hooked up with him, if it's the guy Andy knows from Shires? (JR).

Al.

Someone has squirted a DuraTorq or whatever those big yank ones are - PowerMax? Meh, it's all deep fat friers to me...

It's a pity Dave H doesn't post on forums or this would get dangerous... I'll ring him :D

Beer & swearing on Saturday sounds good, the digger will be the only off-roader Al drives for a while yet :hysterical:

I'll see if I can nick borrow some of that "cable below" tape stuff, been flat out this week :(

Thanks Jules - I think I'm already hooked up with him, if it's the guy Andy knows from Shires? (JR).

Al.

Pass don't know

they are soooo much fun to play with although I have nearly killed my self when playing with plant on site more than once :ph34r:

d'ya reckon Bill could track down some more on the diesel squirt John? I didnt think it had been done yet <_<

Lewis - any drawing format you like works for me :) I can plot it out and trot off to the breakers with a bluepeter cutout of the bellhousing :i-m_so_happy: dont worry about knuckle slicing its all part of the fun - advanced grinder Fu calls for unguarded 4" spinning 9" blades, every car gets a little O positive to give it life :lol:

Al - how can you say we dont love you? thats hash fella, you're like the 6 fingered, hump backed brother/uncle/son Combo that lives in everyones outbuilding....... or could that just be on our farm?? John you didnt leave the chainsaw fuelled up again did you??