Swapping a 90 onto a galvanised chassis

Yes is the answer to that, it is a great learning experience and will serve you well in the future if you are not mechanically minded.

Loads of people on here will help with any questions you may have.

I did my one about two years ago but I must say I am a mechanic or I should say was at the early point in my life.

You can do as I did and strip every part down or you can go the fast route, Disconnect your axles, shocks and brake pipes and some body bolts and wiring and lift the whole lot of in one go.

If you go the way I did it will land up costing you more than you think - well it did me - but temptation drove the price up with lots of upgrades.

Hello

Do some googling, there is a lot of infomation on the web for doing this.

Its quite easily do-able for the amateur, but be aware the cost associated with such work can spiral out of control if not budgeted for properly...

Take into account "nasties" you may find and 1) have to replace 2) want to replace... while the body is in bits...

If you're happy using old bolts and such like then it can be done very cheaply... just try and get a hard picture in your head of what work you want to do when its in bits... or you end up re-building the whole truck... like I did! - then spend more time workin gon it than actually driving it...

Mav

As the other learned chaps have indicated, it can be done by the enthusiastic amateur.

But it will cost you far more than you imagine and you'll have to give up any life you have :)

However it is tremendously rewarding to drive a vehicle that you've rebuilt and I would do it again :)

Have a look in the members vehicles section, there's plenty of rebuilds in there and you can get a better idea of the jobs involved.

HTH

Mo

As the other learned chaps have indicated, it can be done by the enthusiastic amateur.

But it will cost you far more than you imagine and you'll have to give up any life you have :)

However it is tremendously rewarding to drive a vehicle that you've rebuilt and I would do it again :)

Have a look in the members vehicles section, there's plenty of rebuilds in there and you can get a better idea of the jobs involved.

HTH

Mo

Correct! can't wait to pick my next one up!!!!

Some will tell you it can be done in a weekend with a few mates and a crate of beer.. but I fear you just end up with a shed sitting on a new chassis.

A full rebuild will cost several thousand pounds, mine is currently about seven! but I've been a bit anal and swapped just about everything.

The killer is the time it takes, as said above your entire life on hold. Mine is knocking on for nine months with still a bit to go.

Is it worth it, hard money wise - not a chance.... enjoyment and satisfaction - every penny and skinned knuckle.

Have you enough space to do this? You need space for the old vehicle, space for the new build and space for the bits. Once the doors are back on you need a wide area to work in as squeezing past the doors in a small garage soon gets old.

Have a plan and decide what you want in the end game, allow for lots of contingency and have fun.

HTH

• 1 month later...

I may have missed it ....... But, its worth considering how good the chassis is now and what else needs doing.

My 2000 Td5 90 is a keeper but, apart from the cross member, the chassis is excellent. There has also been a list of other jobs to do and money going into them.

So whilst its my intention to fit one - it will come further down the line.