Stub Axle seal....help!

Hello all,

Hopefully the collected brains on here can help...

Rebuilding the front 10-spline axle on my 1989 110 project. I ordered some new stub-axle seals FRC3099, as per the various parts catalogues online. Seal appears to be several mm too big for the hole!

Any ideas?

Matt

Never changed that seal or the bush on my truck, it might come out with a suitable puller or a long drift from the other end of the stub axle,

a poor seal will allow diff oil into the wheel bearings, shaft splines & help to keep these items well lubricated..

I removed the bush by drilling a hole in it to one side and then collapsing it with a cold chisel. Then replaced the seal and drifted a new bush into place.

If you don't have a new bush then your option will be a puller or a long drift from the other side as above.

A poor seal will allow diff oil into the wheel bearings, shaft splines & help to keep these items well lubricated..

Ralph, I thought that was ok on the rear but not wise at the front as all it'll do is drain the one-shot from the swivel housings?

I removed the bush by drilling a hole in it to one side and then collapsing it with a cold chisel. Then replaced the seal and drifted a new bush into place.

If you don't have a new bush then your option will be a puller or a long drift from the other side as above.

Thanks James - destructive it is then. I couldn't get even my longest drift down the through the stub-axle and onto the bush surfaces. I say drift like it was a proper tool. More of a "bit o' bar". I did see some very smart 'Bergen' long drifts at Newbury on Sunday but decided I was too tight to buy them!

Bushes are mildly marked, so could probably dress them and and reassemble, but as the axle's been stripped to its component parts and rebuilt, seems silly not to do these last little bits, especially as I already have new OEM seals. Bushes on order anyway.