ibex 300 build

With good valves the hydraulic motor should provide enough braking on its own I'd have thought. I mean excavators don't have brakes usually in their track motors and those will comfortably hold 40+t stationary.

• Like 1

As above, if the valves are sealing as they should, there can be little or no oil flow through the motor, so it can't turn and will hold everything in place. An electric motor can't do that so needs to rely on a brake but also needz to be able to spool out so that's a bit of a compromise.

I've got a lot less room than I thought the tray is only 190Dx190Hx680W. I can cut the tray if need be but short of moving the seat I won't get much more height (maybe 210). I have considered converting a husky to PTO but again without buying one I can't work out if it'll fit let alone convert. If it did fit I'd probably leave it electric anyway.

Mike

Have a look at Ramsey winches - electric with reduction gears then a worm drive  so self braking . Often to be found on recovery flat beds and the smaller ones are reasonably compact . Line capacity might be a negative factor though . 

A milemarker type hydraulic with direct mounted over centre valve will not move at all without hyd. pressure from the spool valve

Steve

Thanks for the offer Ross but I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion I should just buy a TDS and call it done. Everything else requires lots of mods to a galv chassis or additional expensive hydraulic parts. 

Anyone want to buy a PTO winch........:ph34r:

Mike

8 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Not going to be up there for a couple of days but I can grab some measurements if that is helpful?

I did find some online, the body might just fit but the motor and possibly the gearbox cover will require some tray/chassis mods.

Mike

• Sad 1

@Hybrid_From_Hell has a chunky hydro winch, ISTR he put a valve on the motor that locks it if a pipe should burst so pretty fail-safe, although a worm drive is preferable for your needs it may prove a tall order to fit in the Ibex winch tray?

Edit to add: Milemarkers were pretty low-line and compact, very similar to an electric one. The hard part is always the pump, the PAS/belt driven ones just can't shift enough fluid. Crank driven (like Petal & Mouse) work lovely, PTO driven you'll hit the same limitations as your mechanical PTO in that the pump needs you to be in 4th/5th gear to run at about ~1500rpm in order to shift the volume.

All of this assumes standard gear pumps & motors, you can get variable displacement pumps & motors but they're uncommon (on winches) and ££££, unless you should find one lying round the yard of course :ph34r:

22 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

The hard part is always the pump, the PAS/belt driven ones just can't shift enough fluid.

Depends on the speed you want. For doing regular off-road recoveries, the small pumps are fine as long as they can deliver the pressure. But yeah, not cheap sadly...

39 minutes ago, elbekko said:

Depends on the speed you want. For doing regular off-road recoveries, the small pumps are fine as long as they can deliver the pressure. But yeah, not cheap sadly...

Entirely - but there's a limit on the total HP you can put through the stock polyvee belt, and an even lower one on single-v belts which I assume Mike's 200TDi would be using?

Speed will be governed by flow, pressure will dictate the pulling power available. Both those combined will give total HP required.

If Mike already has the pto adapter plate from the winch then mounting a hydraulic pump on the back should be fairly straightforward.

My PTO pump in 4th on idle has more than enough flow to run my 16.5m cherry picker and that has some fairly hefty rams on it.

I would happily go hydraulic but I suspect it will be cost prohibitive. There looks to be winches small enough to fit, PTO drive pump makes the most sense (mine is a drop box so would need alterations). I have some room for a tank under the seat where the winch is but I suspect it would need to be a bespoke tank. 

Mike

If the drop box doesn't foul anything why not just bolt the pump to the output as a cheap method.

Hoses will add up quickly but I know someone who might trade you some fibreglass work for free hoses / scrounging. Probably also has a suitable tank lying around knowing him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2021 at 12:10 PM, Ed Poore said:

With good valves the hydraulic motor should provide enough braking on its own I'd have thought. I mean excavators don't have brakes usually in their track motors and those will comfortably hold 40+t stationary.

True, but you have to take internal leaking from the hydraulic motor itself in account too.

• 4 weeks later...

The ep9 is out. I've had to alter the seat mount that runs over the top as the X9 is a bit bigger. I think I may of worked out what killed the brake on the ep9. When I mounted the ep9 in the tray originally It obviously didn't occur to me the the winch line now goes out the back therefore the winch needs to be fitted the opposite way round. This may not be the problem but in my head it would explain it.

Mike

24 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Is the mount nice and flat? I can’t see pulling out the back making a difference unless you were pulling off the top of the drum? 

I think it might be to do with the way the brake engages and drum rotation, ironically if I'd pulled of the top of the drum it would of been rotating the same way as if mounted on the front in this orientation.

Mike

Don't know for sure.

Anyway more done tonight.

IMG_20210826_191848.thumb.jpg.25ef3c0258009f98e2ae054481d8c22f.jpg

I've had to relive the cross beam in way of the winch mounting uprights (the light grey painted area).

IMG_20210826_193712.thumb.jpg.4750141d1c857e554c10becda9bfc5df.jpg

The X9 is in (the right way round) and working but still need to splice the rope onto the drum and finish putting the seatbox back together tomorrow.

Mike