ibex 300 build

• 2 weeks later...

The defender wiper system is hateful and antiquated so I wanted to use a modified discovery 1 system as I did on the tomcat. Que agro and head scratching see the tomcat system bolted through a single sheet of steel.... So of coarse the ibex has a bit of 25mm x 50mm box plus the Ali skin. The disco 1 spindles are to short however the disco 3 system has nice long spindles is to wide the crank arm is in the wrong place and the motor won't plug into the loom. Right then take one disco 3 system cut the motor and frame off remove spindles press off crank arms cut a new circlip grove where the arms were and weld the arms on the back end of the spindles. Next cut and bend a new frame to go between the spindle housings bolt into car and shorten one push rod. Finally take the disco 1 frame and motor ditch the rest, adjust frame to suit and bolt to the modified disco 3 bit and hey presto one new wiper system.

IMAG1572.JPG.46183befc6ab67c4c3a2a664d00962f1.JPG

Also my new props have arrived after Xmas I had given up chasing and was looking for another company then out of the blue I got an email from d&f say your props are in build they'll be shipped on Wednesday.IMAG1574.thumb.JPG.144007f2c0ca84807e1b9fa374aaa435.JPG

Mike

Edited by miketomcat

• 2 weeks later...

Got some odds and sods sorted the props and td5 hand brake are on, throttle cable is fitted and because I've had a rubbish week I've glued the top hinge covers on to make me feel like I'm moving forward still. The other job I've got done is modifying a discovery stalk set to fit the defender column this has involved opening up the diameter of where it fits on the column with a die grinder. I just need to get a steering wheel boss now to check the self cancel and how the cover will fit.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to get to my dad's to do some machining.

IMAG1641.JPG.b87baa7c146814a2343311db10cbec81.JPG

Cutting some rebates into the back of the fairlead so it fits snug to the cross member.

IMAG1642.JPG.20a69a3d2f4a41b1647ce1559b5cd2c3.JPG

And two spacers to fit either side of the chassis pulley A. To stop any slop and B. To stop the rope getting jammed between pulley and mount.

IMAG1643.JPG.20ef49e64bc0a770e5c501c96ac752e0.JPG

Hopefully my dad is going to do the other bits as I ran out of time today then I can get the winch system buttoned up.

Mike

Edited by miketomcat

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2015 at 11:11 PM, landroversforever said:

Looks good mike! Trying to work out where on the car the first picture is? Currently failing!

Not my build but this may help make sense.

downloadfile.JPEG.b2f4a10e340c51d41730e330e78b5b9e.JPEG

In this set up they use a snatch block mounted through the rear cross member where as I have a permanent pulley.

Mike

Edited by miketomcat

Not my build but this may help make sense.

In this set up they use a snatch block mounted through the rear cross member where as I have a permanent pulley.

Mike

Ahhhh, so the pulley is the one where the rope disappears inside the chassis rail.

how do you get the rope along it? I assume the inside has a tube.