ibex 300 build

When I was younger and knowing even less than I do now(which ain't much ya know LOL) I once offended an owner by asking "How much did you spend modifying your G-wagon?" Need less to say I soon found out all about the Ibex and although mortally offended he taught me humility very well!

• 2 weeks later...

So a little update managed to extract my ibex from Dave's garage. How else would you winch an ibex onto a trailer than with another ibex.

IMAG0207.jpg.2821dcd6897e06975905e8301c87e76f.jpg

Thanks to dave for storage it allowed me to finish some work on the house to keep the wife happy (condition of the purchase). With a gap cleared in my garage where did all that junk come from! It's all ready to start on then..

IMAG0272.thumb.JPG.03c0d487619fb0614785232ca014f1ca.JPG

Lisbeth decided to put in a 6 week premature appearance so as you can imagine all I've done since is look at it briefly and start planning:-

Ideas as follows.

Create a joggle to allow a bonded windscreen.

Thinking about a perspex roof section but not sure this is a good idea.

Engine and transmission I have got a 200tdi but would it be better with something else the only trouble is if I put something different in then really need a gearbox from whatever motor I choose as none of the lr gearboxes are an good with more power/touque thus opening another can of worms.

The other thing going round in my head is I really like the pto winch on the 110 but it's slow could I sort a pto winch for the vector system and match it's speed for drive assist hmmm need to get some paint on it and hang a gearbox and axles on it.

Mike

Edited by miketomcat

Will a standard defender windscreen fit for a bonded windscreen or do you already have a 'standard' screen in mind.

What about fitting a TD5? And maybe definitely the gauges as well!

Keep up the progress, but I you may will have others things to deal with!

Steve

Windscreen is a flat sheet cut to shape so can be any shape size to fit.

The trouble with td5 is it's £1500 for an engine etc plus a gearbox for something that's electronic which I don't like and I'm not convinced it's that much better than a good 200tdi.

I have spoken to daan in the past about his may have to have a catch up at some point.

Mike

Ah ok, I suppose its cheap enough to get a flat windscreen cut to size, just thought it would be cheaper to buy an off the shelf item, but they maybe none!

True TD5's are quite expensive so maybe stick with the 200TDi or what about some of the other popular (I think?) options such as the Izuzu 2.8 or the 3.9.

Or some 6 cylinder diesel goodness form Range rover/BMW, but I'm not sure how much electrickery they have.

Steve

Mike, congratulations on yet another spruit. Bet you wont have much time now to build the machine. Dont worry, sleep is overrated!

Given the situation, I would throw the 200 in, you can always swap later.

Yes, we have spoken in some pretty weird places in the past, and sure will do again.

Daan :P

Ok I've been thinking about the td5 option so where is the best place to get a crashed defender td5 preferably rear shunt or a roll and what sort of money am I looking at? It doesn't matter what defender it is or would I be just as well to use the 110 I have and sorce an engine and box as I should be able to use a disco or defender item plus loom and pedal obviously.

Mike

Td5 will bolt straight into the ibex and if I were to sell the 110 I have I may be able to finance a crashed td5. The merc is nice but I can't help thinking keeping it all land rover keeps it simple. Yes there are lots of nice engines out there but I can't afford to up rate the transmission and my fabrication skills are limited.

Mike

Td5 will bolt straight into the ibex and if I were to sell the 110 I have I may be able to finance a crashed td5. The merc is nice but I can't help thinking keeping it all land rover keeps it simple. Yes there are lots of nice engines out there but I can't afford to up rate the transmission and my fabrication skills are limited.

Mike

Just have to make some fibreglass engine mounts then!

The drivetrain (engine, g/box, t/box) is very long on the 1HZ in the 80 series cruiser, I don't have any dimensions to hand but we're talking much longer than 300tdi r380 lt230, plus rear prop output is central. 1HZ is non turbo and fairly underpowered, turbo kits are available and reliable but costly (£1200+) or the other option is the 1HD, more powerful, twin cam and more refined, but fly by wire and dependant on electrics - not my first choice.

Don't get me wrong, a 1HZ turbo'd with Toyota engine and box would be incredibly strong and reliable, and would certainly be my choice for this kind of vehicle but I doubt it would fit easily in a product designed to accept LR parts

Sorry there was a bit of guesswork involved in my post - I don't get to deal with anything as old as an 80 series - just 100 and 105's, I assumed the 80 used the same drivetrain as the 105 (chassis is based on 80) which only has the 1HZ. The twin cam diesel in the 100 is called the 1HD and is electronic injection etc

Edit:

Dan, this is what you call the 1HD?

CFA04278-68EF-4100-8FD2-217D333E93FC-567

(btw the engine fitted in 105 series is visually identical to this but NA and called the 1HZ)

This is what I call the 1HD, as fitted to 100 series

4BB28B59-E1F9-4208-8725-84A7F6F61269-567

Sorry Mike, getting a bit OT here in Toyota engine nomenclature semantics

Matt a 300tdi in my opinion is no better than a 200tdi in some respects I think it's worse.

Dan my thinking behind the td5 is I can maybe buy a complete vehicle thus supplying all the other bits i need and sell the 110 donor I have. Putting a another engine in means either linking to an lt230 as I don't think any of the lr gearboxes are up to anything other than what lr tried. Or I've got special props etc which can make things tricky when things break/wear remember this will be my daily driver so can't be off the road for long periods. The trouble is I just can't decide what's best at the moment.

Mike