ibex 300 build

Probably not but only from a financial point of view. I build on such a shoe string that the nearly £600 it costs is crippling. Especially when it takes 3 months in which time it's been insured and mot'ed but I can't use it. This whole build has cost me in the region of £15000 which sounds a lot until you realise I've not reconditioned anything and bought as much second hand as possible. If I was to build it with a proper budget it would be nearer to £30000. So building to pass the test is not a problem you just need to read the book before you start and during.

Besides my next projects are likely to be an Aussie style caravan built on a commercial trailer chassis and a mini Jem which will be a restoration.

Mike

Well done, Mike.  Long may you enjoy the results of your labour.

I'm not that familiar with the IVA requirements, but can imagine it being a real pain to navigate.  How does it affect road tax?  What is that costing?

2-6 weeks from application. As to what reg they could give me an age related but whether that would be an E or an L I don't know as I can't work out what identifies the age. However I am expecting a q plate due to the use of two donors.

Mike 

The engine etc hasn't been rebuilt so no need to "run in". They try not to issue q plates but if they can't determine the age of the donor then it gets a q. So in the case of mine I've used two donors so theoretically a q plate.

Mike

Playing devils advocate, say the engine and box are from "K" Reg date vehicle and the axles are from "L" Reg date vehicle (but are same as the K reg date vehicle) then would it get an "K" reg as the dateable component the engine is that age and the other components are the same spec as those used with that reg anyway (along the lines of the original or like for like replacement on the points system?)

9 minutes ago, NRS91 said:

Playing devils advocate, say the engine and box are from "K" Reg date vehicle and the axles are from "L" Reg date vehicle (but are same as the K reg date vehicle) then would it get an "K" reg as the dateable component the engine is that age and the other components are the same spec as those used with that reg anyway (along the lines of the original or like for like replacement on the points system?)

I get where your going but that's not the way I read the paperwork. If anything they would use the older of the two identities for the age related plate if they were that hell bent on not giving me a q.

Mike

Sorry just re read your post and you said the same thing.

Edited by miketomcat

13 hours ago, miketomcat said:

I get where your going but that's not the way I read the paperwork. If anything they would use the older of the two identities for the age related plate if they were that hell bent on not giving me a q.

Mike

Sorry just re read your post and you said the same thing.

Haha no worries Mike, was just thinking that because all the components are pretty much the same bar the brake system that on the points system you should be grand for an age related plate but I suppose it all depends on who processes the paperwork!

With a bit of luck I've sorted the fuel gauge which I may of bodged to show full for the IVA. It look like two wires got transposed on the sender plug at some point. I don't understand how as it worked in the disco and it's the same sender, loom and gauge.

On a side note for those that are interested the total weight including winch and a full tank of fuel is 2080kg which I think is quite good compared to a 110 with a winch and a cage (ibex space frame is stronger than a bolt on cage).

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I've had several dumb questions but no still waiting. It would appear even though you have to give both a phone number and email they can only contact you via post which takes a week each time. I've even replied to their question via email and they still posted the second set of questions. I may well complain about the whole process once I get my registration as it's a mess from start to finish.

Mike