ibex 300 build

Are we sure the switch is before the cooler as that would explain a lot.

On another note I've established that I can do 350 miles on a tank full. But that was full to run out. It took 65 ltr to refill but the seal on the sender/pick up is weeping. The guage seems to be relatively accurate the light came on solid at 300 miles.

Mike

Oil and filter change this morning. I've fitted a genuine filter though looking inside they certainly look similar. I also took the opportunity to re visit the oil cooler ports.

20180916_092743.thumb.jpg.30698bd783f1d1ac10041e2482104904.jpginlet and output were like this it measures 5.5mm the tube from the filter housing is 9.5mm id.

20180916_100608.thumb.jpg.cc266561dbf614f3b1bea02cd5a4a85f.jpg

Some very carefully drilling later, that looks a bit better. Hopefully this will solve the problem of low oil pressure at tick over after a run.

Mike

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

Interesting. How do you deal with swarf when doing that,  jam a vacuum cleaner pipe next to the drill? Also how do the oil pipes locate there, I can’t see any thread?

I've found if you use a thick cutting compound like Rocol and have a decent drill (Presta / Dorma and it's sharp) you can get most of it stuck to the cutting grease if you take it slow.

You've got to be careful not to snap the bits, or if you've got a torquey drill like my Milwaukee, your wrist :blink:.

I don't think the photo shows it well but I think it's an external thread, you can just make out one or two threads possibly.

The thread is on the outside. The pipe has a swage on it with an o-ring between it and the spigot on the rad. The nut pulls up on the back side of the swage. 

Swarf was felt with by having the radiator leaning back towards the drill taking it nice and slow so it cuts nice curly swarf that you can just pull out then clean anything else out when done. The core in there was close to where I was drilling (you can see a little damage in the second pic) so there was next to no room for swarf to drop inwards.

Mike

Edited by miketomcat

Cheers Mike, 

I always wondered how the Ibex Vector winching system was packaged as its something I wanted to implement on my 90 rebuild.
Its the same set up as my Scammell Explorer to be honest and very similar to the Nokken winch on the 101FC.

If you want to winch from the rear I guess you will just pick the rope off the rear pulley and hook a snatch block on?

6 hours ago, NRS91 said:

If you want to winch from the rear I guess you will just pick the rope off the rear pulley and hook a snatch block on?

Yes exactly that. I didn't like the idea of a snatch block in the rear 1, because it has no bearings the pulleys I have fitted do. 2, I was always going to be running plasma which tends to be loser when stowed thus allowing the snatch to rattle and 3, the standard set up only has rollers on each side of the hole in the rear crossmember which means any up or down angle and the plasma will run over a sharp edge.

Mike

The pulley is mounted in the crossmember with an Ali cheek to keep the rope on the pulley. The Ali Hawse is bolted over the hole to close it down to rope size. 20170714_155237.thumb.jpg.4c90914b24f8f544a2a937ef811a678c.jpgpicture is looking backwards over the fuel tank. I can't remember where I got the pulleys from.