ibex 300 build

2 hours ago, Blanco said:

I always reckon towing is the acid test, nice trailer there.

Hmm.....

Another 5,000 miles with trailers await me later this year.....

Holland in November with the 3-axle

UK in December with the 2-axle

Just back from a 4,500 miles round trip..

There was a reason asking about better seats in the 110.... 😎

I've got my winch switches fitted front, rear and dash. 

Next on the list is a front recovery point. This presents a small problem. My ibex front crossmember is tubed for a tow bar but it's off to one side, covered by the valence and even if I cut a hole obscured by the number plate. So that rules out all normal ball and pin hitches. TSD has some swivel shackles that mount through the lifting tubes. Whilst this works very well it's not the most elegant solution, needs the valence removing or cutting out and I can't find them anywhere. My plan is a short length of 100mm x 65mm x 10mm angle cut to clear the number plate and purtrude out of the valence. This will have some webs welded across the angle with holes to match the tow bar bolt pattern and a hole for either a shackle or big enough for the winch hook.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, miketomcat said:

The base of it is 10mm angle with an 8mm lashing eye welded on the bottom the two 10mm webs. The smallest part of the ring is 18mm x 12mm so I'm hoping that should be man enough to hand a winch on. It will be bolted on with two M16 bolts.

Mike

You could lift a small planet from that.

3 hours ago, miketomcat said:

The base of it is 10mm angle with an 8mm lashing eye welded on the bottom the two 10mm webs. The smallest part of the ring is 18mm x 12mm so I'm hoping that should be man enough to hand a winch on. It will be bolted on with two M16 bolts.

Mike

:lol: I'd completely lost track of it's scale as I was thinking it looked a bit small.... but it sounds more than strong enough when a size reference is put on it!! :D 

Looking good Mike.

With the front recovery point, make sure the hook can move freely in the hole  (looks like it is binding in the pic but that may be misleading) otherwise you might end up putting some odd loads on the hook which it might not like.

You might also need some panel trip around the hole the rope comes out of to stop the rope chaffing from road vibrations when stowed. :)

Bish the hole has about 5mm clearance on the hook so that will be fine. The valence hole has a 5mm radius on it (it had to for the iva) plus its fibreglass so it will probably wear the valence first but i will keep an eye on it. ;)

The split charge solenoid is now controlled by a land rover vsr and seems to be working ok now.

I've put a net in the roof of the load bay to stow waterproofs etc in. There's now a 12v socket in there as well powered from the winch battery. The caravan socket I now all wired up but I may change this to run on the winch battery later.

Mike

• Like 1

I may skip the beer but I do need milk for my tea.:hysterical: Mind the wife will fill it with wine given the chance.

It's looking like the caravan project may actually happen because.

A. The current one is shall we say tired. 

B. A trip we want to do doesn't suit a full size caravan.

Mike

7 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Offroad caravan if I remember correctly?

That will be pretty cool... Ive been looking at the O2 trailer IVA rules and it would be easier using a pre-built chassis but I dont think it will phase Mike much!