ibex 300 build

Don't be fooled Wabbit. Mike could do fibreglass wearing a formal suit and step out looking immaculate. For us mere mortals, just looking in through the window is enough to cause a small pool of gelcoat to collect inside your left sock.

Then again, Mikes never explained how he managed to spray the inside of my fridge (and worse, my coffee mug) a lovely shade of blue :hysterical:

The first three layers of mat on once this has cured I can add the other bits then lots of filling and sanding.

IMAG1038.jpg

Mike

Thats just wrong how you can make it look so perfect :angry2:

I always end up with air bubbles and wear aprox 50% of the resin, I admire the skill there Mike.

Don't be fooled Wabbit. Mike could do fibreglass wearing a formal suit and step out looking immaculate. For us mere mortals, just looking in through the window is enough to cause a small pool of gelcoat to collect inside your left sock.

Then again, Mikes never explained how he managed to spray the inside of my fridge (and worse, my coffee mug) a lovely shade of blue :hysterical:

Laminating is easy doing it and staying clean is a different matter. I learnt back when you didn't wear gloves so you soon learn to stay clean. The best advice is wear latex style gloves but put 2 or 3 on each hand as soon as they get sticky BIN THEM and try to use one hand for the fluffy and the other to place mat then with clean gloves use the consolidator. Keep the handles clean have a rag handy to wipe them.

Now spraying on the other hand, it doesn't matter how well I mask up it always seems to get every where. But Dave you still drink from that cup though don't you and the fridge looks much better in the same blue as 45.

Mike

The other thing you have to remember is there is quite a difference between laying up in a proper mould, doing a repair with fibreglass and doing the sort of things I end up doing (i do things that I know I can get away with because I've been doing it a lot of years). Most people could be taught in a couple of days the rest is experience.

Mike

Interesting, and good skills. 1 point though: could'nt you have done a female mould, so you get the smooth side up?

Daan

The simple answer is yes but it takes a lot longer because you need to mock it up to make sure it fits/works then you need to make it in reverse out of a suitable material then you can lay it up. This is all fine if you plan to make more than one or you want a particular finish.but if it's a one off that's can either be painted or carpeted then this a lot quicker but you do need to allow for thinkness plus as you will see in the coming days this is going to grow quite a bit before it's finished.

My dashboards were made with a plug(the shape you want to make) then a mould(the reverse) then a finished job.

The panels I did for mouse were make the rough shape laminate over the top fill fair and paint.

Mike

Mike,

You wouldn't happen to make Defender bonnets with better clearance over the centreline of the engine would you? I've put my air filter behind the plenum chamber and it's a tad snug...

I don't have a mould for a defender bonnet but I could modify a fibreglass bonnet to suit your needs if you have/got one.

Mike

Ibex are designed to take any land rover gearbox/engine combination you want. Mine was set up to be td5/r380 so I figured short stick lt77/200tdi would sit in roughly the same position. Mine also has bolt on engine mounts so that allows me to fiddle the position to keep as much standard as possible.

Mike

I only ask, as after seeing a few f8 build pics, the tunnel seems to only permit a defender style gear leaver infront of the seat box.

Looks great, would love to give fiberglassing ago. I presume it gives better sound insulation over stock landrover ali tunnel design?

Ever done a surfboard lol?

I only ask, as after seeing a few f8 build pics, the tunnel seems to only permit a defender style gear leaver infront of the seat box.

Looks great, would love to give fiberglassing ago. I presume it gives better sound insulation over stock landrover ali tunnel design?

Ever done a surfboard lol?

The standard tunnel is defender style mainly because it's aimed at a 90 donor ie tank, seats and battery box. There's nothing to stop you going flat floor and long tunnel as I have. You just need different seats and to relocate batterys plus mine has a foers rear tank though it does have mounts for an under seat tank which I may make one to fit later. The bottom line is you can do what you want to a kit car as long as you stick within IVA rules.

Fibreglass is a very versatile but stinky horrible medium it's great for one piece complex shapes. My offer affliction is mini Marcos (fibreglass kit car) plus i'm a boat builder so yes I like and use it but doesn't suit a lot of applications.

Mike

Tunnel and floor pans in place not fixed yet. I've decided to leave the tunnel basic at the moment I've only put the ducts on for rear foot well heater vents.

IMAG1045.thumb.jpg.9813113a79862d6b089eb700fd778fa2.jpg

The main reason for not adding cubby box etc is I can make a removable section to go on top of the tunnel later on that way I can get it through the IVA drive it for a bit a see what I want where rather than guess and risk getting things wrong.

Mike

Edited by miketomcat

You'll be telling us you plan on fitting carpet in the footwells next!

I've got to carpet the floor pans I don't want to scratch the carbon fibre. (rofl)

Not sure on tunnel finish yet I may just carpet it for the IVA or I may fill fair and paint it ready to accept a cubby box etc later.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Finally I've managed to get back on the ibex. I've been side tracked for the last month converting our sankey into a camp kitchen. Due to us only having 45 as our family car there is no way you can fit 2 adults, 2 kids and camping gear in a 90 so a trailer was needed!! Anyway I digress I've removed the front axle from the disco cleaned, painted and it now resides under the front of the ibex along with the steering box from the 110.

IMAG1115.thumb.jpg.0ec2aa1f28da334117c6f4eea5609dc0.jpg

Hopefully later this week I'll put some wheels on it and I'll finally have a rolling chassis.

Mike

Edited by miketomcat

The white stuff is corex it's what for sale boards are made of normally it's used for protection but polyester resin didn't stick to it so no need to wax it. I just mock up the shape I want the same way you would with card but you can then lay up straight over the top of it.

Mike

First trial fit of the engine.

IMAG1122.thumb.jpg.c96f7d3dbe8f6d7f53054479b9db4cdd.jpg

IMAG1123.thumb.jpg.fa98bfb2387349b6f9f7ea6a8c85926c.jpg

So far so good exhaust clears the sump clears prop and axle. It looks like there's enough room for the radiator and intercooler. Just got to sort some engine mounts now I feel some cad (cardboard aided design) coming on.

Mike

Edited by miketomcat