ibex 300 build

• 2 weeks later...

Just got to sort some engine mounts now I feel some cad (cardboard aided design) coming on.

Mike

do you need chassis part of the engine mounts ?

as I've kept my old ones [td/Defender 200tdi] from old chassis, happy to pass them on if needed,

post-20-0-52405300-1402223432_thumb.jpg

The front seats are freelander all I've done is cut off some brackets they will then be bolted through the floorpan and tunnel. I will try to pick up the floor framework but not to worried as the seat belt mounts are separate.

Thanks for the offer Ralf but I'm using the disco mounts plus I've discovered the chassis rails are further apart then land rovers so I'm fabbing from scratch.

Mike

So engine mounts I cut the td5 mounts off the plates that bolt to the chassis only to find the bolt holes didn't line up later. Then I cut the mounts from the disco chassis with the plan to weld them to the plates yeah right that would be easy wouldn't it the chassis rails on an ibex are about 30mm further apart so scratch that idea and fab them from scratch. I hung the engine in the right place then using the disco mounts I copied the shape only wider and thicker.

IMAG1151.thumb.jpg.af719bb3e66111dd07ebbca2173ea939.jpg

IMAG1164_1.thumb.JPG.6d055a76a98cb48b5f7d6269c398251b.JPG

IMAG1171.thumb.jpg.011cf25e64993c70c2379a9ba4e09a2b.jpg

IMAG1182.thumb.jpg.4f84cf3a285f32bcb0ecc296645f28eb.jpg

Originally they bolt to the chassis with five M8 bolts but my mounts cover one of these holes and I think they need to be bigger so I've opened them up to four M10's. I've also added a web running towards the rear bolts to stop the plate flexing now the middle bolt is no longer used. Finally I painted them ready to fit on Friday.

Mike

Edited by miketomcat

My work bench drive's me nuts but because of the short length of time I get in the garage I try to make the most of it so tidying up goes right down the list. I must admit work and two kids does stifle progress some what but I have a very understanding wife (she knew what she was getting into when we got together) so I get out there most evenings in return for family time at the weekends.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Got a slightly interesting problem the gearbox (disco lt77) is locked up now it's been stored for a while stood on the bell housing and is now in the car. Before I put it in I checked it still turned ok, it did then locked up as I went through the gears with a bit of jiggling it freed up. I think it was stuck in two gears ie engaged one but didn't release it when engaging the next my problem is it's done it again but now it's in the car. Is there any way I might be able to sort this without removing and stripping it.

Mike