ibex 300 build

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I'm getting back on track and getting some work done. I haven't looked into the gearbox problem yet but I have got the radiator and standard intercooler mounted up unfortunately I couldn't make the large intercooler I have work in the space.

IMAG1313.thumb.jpg.723730ca21105b6f8a70d94f6c43d70b.jpg

IMAG1314.thumb.jpg.ba32ffe14c58f4fb5565f81ef03ffd1f.jpg

I've also got the power steering bottle mounted I've used the defender bracket upside down then drilled out the studs and bolted it through the inner wheelarch.

Mike

Edited by miketomcat

Looks like it's really starting to get close ... :)

I wish it needs:-

Some more bodywork.

Painting.

Brake lines and front calipers changing.

Wiring.

Lights.

Fuel lines and tank fill, pick up and sender.

Interior.

Props.

Glass.

Sort gearbox.

Handbrake.

And that's just off the top of my head.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I decided that given the time of year it's the next two months or spring to be able to paint my ibex. On that basis I'm trying to finish off the last few bits of body work ready for paint prep.

Today I've fitted the front valance, made up and glued in place the infill bits around the doors and cut the apature for the windscreen.

IMAG1318.jpg.f5d528140eb26e5a6c14e1d696e228e9.jpg

IMAG1319.jpg.ecc494af8f5ef4754e80942662941748.jpg

I've got two rear corners and the strip for the rear door seal left to make.

Mike

Edited by miketomcat

They are freelander seats (not bolted down yet) but I have changed the ibex to suit the seats. I removed the seat box from the front and fitted flat floors the tunnel has been made to take the in board runner as the runners are at different heights. The seat box is now in the rear and modified to take the seat and allow it to latch as normal (allows access to the winch and batterys underneath).

Front

IMAG1048.thumb.jpg.7ad31792ce4d6cb206209d393174a608.jpg

Rear

IMAG1864.thumb.JPG.e7e64820c510c3be37b53027d2417299.JPG

I bought the seats to go in my 110 but was planning to cut the runners about on the front ones to sit them on the seat box the rear was going to be fitted similar to the ibex solution. But the ibex turned up so kept them for that.

Mike

Edited by miketomcat

• 3 weeks later...

As I'm planning to paint it very soon I thought I better finish off the panel work.

IMAG1339.jpg.b0a2cf1bb3cfcf32a5a8dfbefd2dc7be.jpg

Just got the seal return to do tomorrow night along with trimming the hinge covers to fit. Then I need to throw some more sealant around, some filler and then paint.

Mike

Edited by miketomcat

So engine mounts I cut the td5 mounts off the plates that bolt to the chassis only to find the bolt holes didn't line up later. Then I cut the mounts from the disco chassis with the plan to weld them to the plates yeah right that would be easy wouldn't it the chassis rails on an ibex are about 30mm further apart so scratch that idea and fab them from scratch. I hung the engine in the right place then using the disco mounts I copied the shape only wider and thicker.

IMAG1151.jpg

IMAG1164.jpg

IMAG1165.jpg

IMAG1172.jpg

IMAG1183.jpg

Originally they bolt to the chassis with five M8 bolts but my mounts cover one of these holes and I think they need to be bigger so I've opened them up to four M10's. I've also added a web running towards the rear bolts to stop the plate flexing now the middle bolt is no longer used. Finally I painted them ready to fit on Friday.

Mike

wow !!!! great build !! any ideas where i can get one of those press tools that you have mounted in the hydraulic press? i need to bend 5mm x 100mm bars for suspension mounts?

thanks

The press tool came up on eBay but it came with a very narrow v block that is only any good with thin sheet. However you could make this very easily the blade is only a bit of 8mm plate with a block on top to keep it straight and a 90° point on the other. I keep meaning to make a new v block which only needs to be a base plate with a bit of angle welded on top to form the v then supported by a plate on either side. Then all you need is a press mine is a 10 ton cheapy.

Mike

The paint colour will be gun metal grey.

The garage has just gone from bad to worse. It desperately needed a tidy up but now I have a whole other problem a car I've spent the last 10 years looking for a mini jem came up on eBay this week. So now I've got a double garage with a mini Marcos under a bench, a mini jem which will go on top of said bench once I've cleared it, all the tools and spares/parts for four different cars and I've still got to get the ibex back in there once I've finished the painting. Not to mention the disco in bits and a sankey outside I think I need to find a warehouse to live in.

Mike

Ok so i get a call from the wife "your paints here but it's leaking so i've left it in the garden stinks of pear drops" no biggy i think they've obviously dropped it and split the thinners i'll sort it when i get home.

1 hour 30 mins later......

Wife calls again "come home NOW the police are here something to do with that leaking package"

15 mins later......

I get home to: two coppers "can you come through to the front of the house, next door has been evacuated along with your wife/kids. What is in the package sir?"

Me "2k paint and by the smell of it leaking thinners"

Coppers " so you know how to deal with it then"

Me "yeah i've got a tin i'll decant it into that why what's going on? "

Coppers " the delivery drive has collapsed at the wheel overcome by fumes we have 5 fire engines, 2 ambulances and 6 police cars dealing with it. Your sure your ok here"

Me slightly bewildered "yeah no problem"

Wife "can we go back in now"

Me "yeah i'll go clear it up"

10 mins later......

Fire brigade turn up "just came by to check your ok but figured you would know what to do with it"

Me "i don't believe this is happening"

Fireman "yeah theres been a bit of over reaction"

Me "your not joking it's only some thinners"

Fireman " yeah it all got a bit carried away and though you might want some sanity. We'll leave you in peace"

Wife "you owe me a cup of tea!"

Me " alright but i'll finish clearing up out back first"

So i've got the paint for the ibex the paint company are sending me a new tin of thinners after laughing there heads off on the phone (the police had already called them) and the wife/next door have something to talk about.

Mike

• Haha 1