ibex 300 build

Steering wheel done.

20180414_174502.thumb.jpg.82ea3480854457ef364992ea1834fe9f.jpg

Rear number plate space and light. This serves several purposes first it covers some sharp edges. Second I covers the rear fairlead. However this is all temporary because I don't want the number plate in this position. I can't fit it where I want it because although there's enough room for a number plate the "test" plate is bigger.

20180414_174444.thumb.jpg.24fffaa0f68a147f94095b63a27ebdeb.jpg

Unfortunately life is very much getting in the way at the moment so progress is desperately slow. The front seat belts are also in as is the glove box cover.

The finishing list is.

Hand brake gaiter 

Sand rust off discs

Fit tow bar

Clear out 

Fit rear carpet

Sort the leaks if I get chance (these have badly marked the load bay head lining to the point it will need replacing)

Fit the "IVA" wheels

I want to MOT it before the IVA as I have a friendly MOT man who will allow me to check and adjust if necessary the brakes and emissions.

Stamp the axle and gross weights on the vin plate (I may leave this as I'm not sure what weights to use and I can take stamps with me)

IVA......

Mike

if its unladen weight is less than 2020kg or so and it either has two rows or seats or is 4wd it is a dual purpose vehicle and therefore can be entered as class 4 as far as I know... I would go for the full 3500kg 110HD weights personally so if you ever need to use the full carrying capacity you can 

• Like 1

According to my MOT man above 3000kg is class 7. Which is why a 110 station wagon is 2950kg and a hard top etc is 3050kg. The disco is 2720kg and 90 is 2400 station and 2550 hard top etc but they all have a 3500kg towing weight. I need it to be class 4 because a I like my mot man, he doesn't do class 7 and my brother in law lives in London (£120 a day or whatever it is now is not appealing).

The biggest problem I'm having is wheels i need disco diameter but most alloys aren't rated high enough. So I either need boosts or steels but with either 205x16 or 235/75x16. That or I drop the gvw down to discovery. 

Your MOT tester is mistaken; Class 4 has no upper weight restrictions for private passengers vehicles. You could de-plate a 7.5tonne truck and call it a car and it would become class 4 (obviously physical size restrictions of the MOT lane would likely render this a moot point, I merely include this as an example)

Details are in the testers manual, first page, link below

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/m4i00000401.htm

More detail in the testing guide

mot-testing-guide.pdf#page9

Class 7 is only for goods vehicles, which surely an Ibex is not?

The other problems with the weights is the IVA. There are gotchas something along the line of if it's a two seater and over the 2020kg limit you can't get it through as a dual use and test becomes N1 rather than M1 test.

Suddenly a lot of the external projection amd sharp edge rules go but you are then subject to van/light commercial speed limits on the road.

Tomcat motorsport have put some builds through a N1 IVA tests. I look forward to hearing about a not-super-seven or sportscar IVA experience!

Edited by WesBrooks

Why not phone the DVLA/VOSA and ask them what the actual rules are rather than faff about?

My 1st MOT with the 109 the guy had to phone them to find out if it was a failure to be missing the arches, they said it's not road legal (C+U) but it's not in the MOT book so give the man an MOT!

I had to ring DVSA (was VOSA) recently regarding IVA for a project at work. They tried their best to be helpful but were unable to offer any clarity over and above what was published in existing manuals. I wouldn’t bother again

Mine is 5 seat and I'm putting in for m1 IVA I believe all other ibex have gone through n1 as it is easier but as said the restrictions are a pain. I'd forgotten the 50mph on dual carriageway and 60 on motorway thing there is A lot of vans being caught on this at the moment. 

My previous experience with phoning the DVLA puts me off when I built the tomcat I phoned them about registration and was told just mot it. I phoned again and was told it needed sva but was then put through to someone who said it needed a Vic. It transpired at that time if it passed the Vic you re-registered it kept your number plate but changed the discription (this is what I did). If it failed the Vic then it needed an sva.

Mike

I reckon the tyres with the matt lee wheels are going to pass. It is arguable as you could call them spit rims rather than beadlocks. The whole load rating thing is a bit theoretical, as on my SVA, noone asked the question. Alternativly, the wheels on your 90 or 110 any good?

Just a thought - speedo drive gear can be swapped fairly easily for a 90/110 item then use the wheels/tyres from its parent vehicle, for example the 20tooth blue frc3310 is used with 7.50 or 235/85 or 255/85 tyres, my 10 runs 255 & speedo is almost spot on with my gps & within the 10% slowed by the relevant laws 

OR is it not that easy to satisfy the IVA test ?

Another rule that is written somewhere in the rule book but seems to get forgotten about by testers. In the week running up to the SVA, I phoned every land rover parts store in the country to try get the right speedo drive gear, without succes. I ended up going as is, only to be told that as the test centre does not have a 4wd rolling road, it s not a testable item.

Daan

It's not that easy and if I remember correctly disco and 110 use the same Speedo gear. 45's Speedo (discovery speedo) read about 20% out when I swapped to 33's (until I pulled the needle off and re-positioned it :ph34r:, it's bang on till 50 now). Where as the 110 (standard Speedo) is only 10% out. Hopefully I've found a set of wolf's with 205's on I can borrow.

When I built my abs freestyle it used a push bike Speedo (now banned for IVA). I had to provide proof that it was calibrated correctly, I had a print out from a 1/4 mile run granted it wasn't for my car but the sva man didn't need to know that. Where as if you use tyres (the correct size any way), gearbox (Speedo drive) and Speedo head from the same vehicle it's taken as calibrated correctly.

Mike

Edited by miketomcat

Thinking about it I'm not sure whether the transer boxes in either 45 or the 110 came out of 90's or 110's.

The ibex transfer box is from a 110 but figured they won't check that if they see a disco Speedo and disco size tyres. I couldn't use the mach5's even if I wanted to as they project slightly outside the arches, that's also a fail.

Mike