ibex 300 build

What's the reasoning behind losing the 35s? Gearing too tall for them?

I find with my set up that the gears are quite well suited for what I do. Although towing through the Scottish Highlands in the height of tourist season it does feel a little gutless down low. Well compared to the 3.6l twin turbo V8 :lol:... But once I get rid of that I think I'm going to experiment a little with the boost and a VNT to help the bottom end. Failing that me thinks it'll be time for a V8, thinking 4.2 or 5.0 supercharged... :ph34r:.

Perhaps that's an option? (The turbos) after all it does look right on 35s and having just got a new set of tyres its not far off the same cost if you're sticking with the BFGs!

The tyres on there came with the wheels. They are km1's loads of tread but quite old so I would be looking to swap them for 33's or sell them and buy some 33's. :hysterical:

I don't like the gearing at present I'm always between gears and rarely use 5th. I knew this would be the case when I bought them but love the look so went with it. Also I suspect I will have some rubbing when the suspension is flexed, don't get me wrong I'm happy to trim for clearance. Transfer box would be a good solution but they seem to be expensive these days. Axle ratio is always going to be a pain because the rear is a Salisbury. 

I guess it comes down to what becomes available at the right price.

They looks pretty good on 33's as well so I'm not worried for looks.

Ibex-300-5-Door-Hard-Top.jpg.7799c4be165e161dceea01e8169f9146.jpg

20180820_200605.thumb.jpg.37c3400a54b6182f54d51d6e4cc5720f.jpg

Mike

• Like 1

No hurry gents I've got plenty of other things to sort.

On that note I've got the winch dash switch fitted along with;

A 12v socket.

CB radio though no ariel yet.

Radio

And a clock (that's not working at the moment).

Oh and a pair of tie down points in the boot that I would happily lift the car on.

Mikr

• 2 weeks later...

Currently waiting to run out of fuel so I know my tank range at 260miles and the gauge is just above empty with the light flickering on and off. But the tank is a foers item designed for a td5 pump assembly and I've got a 200tdi disco pick up in there.:ph34r:

On another note I'm getting a flickering oil pressure warning light at tickover after a motorway run. Never had this problem when it was in the disco. Now it does need an oil and filter (*#itpart filter) change and I think I read on here somewhere of someone having the same problem solved with a gen filter. My other thought is the radiator (cheap alloy job) when it turned up I remember thinking the oil ports looked a little constricted. I've just put a shield in to force the air through the rad as well just in case it's not cooling properly. 

Other than that still loving it and getting a few thumbs up / confused looks.:rofl:

Mike

• Like 1

5 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Currently waiting to run out of fuel so I know my tank range at 260miles and the gauge is just above empty with the light flickering on and off. But the tank is a foers item designed for a td5 pump assembly and I've got a 200tdi disco pick up in there.:ph34r:

On another note I'm getting a flickering oil pressure warning light at tickover after a motorway run. Never had this problem when it was in the disco. Now it does need an oil and filter (*#itpart filter) change and I think I read on here somewhere of someone having the same problem solved with a gen filter. My other thought is the radiator (cheap alloy job) when it turned up I remember thinking the oil ports looked a little constricted. I've just put a shield in to force the air through the rad as well just in case it's not cooling properly. 

Other than that still loving it and getting a few thumbs up / confused looks.:rofl:

Mike

I had a flickering oil light with a Britpart filter fitted, swapped the filter for a Mahle unit & the flickering ceased as a bonus the oil pressure was better too.

• Like 1

Intersting remark about the filter and the flickering light.. I'm just back from a 1,120 miles test drive with the new to me 300 Tdi in the 110 and had the oil light flicker on me when stopped after a long hard run. Filter & oil due to be changed this week...

3 hours ago, Cynic-al said:

If it was a restrictive port somewhere around the engine wouldn't that cause higher pressure? :ph34r:

Agreed but as it's the only part that's different from when it was in the disco I don't know. I'm not sure if the cooler circuit is on the feed or return side but either way my thought is the restriction could be causing higher temps.

5 hours ago, Cynic-al said:

If it was a restrictive port somewhere around the engine wouldn't that cause higher pressure? :ph34r:

Engine side, yes. Sadly not when part of the filter is causing the restriction:

Any bets they've pulled the same lovely trick on the 200tdi filter?