ibex 300 build

• 3 weeks later...

As previously mentioned my preferred roof rack involves cage tube. This is outside my budget at the moment so a semi permanent solution. I have three lengths of 50mmx20mmx2mm Ali box these have been attacked with a holesaw and tapped into the spaceframe of the roof.

20190605_195113.thumb.jpg.6f9c2f050ec112fdf6e05542ac23dd67.jpg

Not the most aerodynamic solution but have you seen an ibex. :rofl:

Mike

• Like 2

1 hour ago, miketomcat said:

It doesn't whistle on the motorway so I'm not worried......

Mike

That's interesting, and I'm glad I held back, because I'd anticipated that those holes would whistle. Perhaps it's because they are holes into a box section, and taking  most of the width of the box so there is no maintained air flow after it separates on the sharp edge.

Regards.

On 6/6/2019 at 4:59 PM, Ed Poore said:

Chamfer the front and rear edges :rolleyes:...

That was my initial thought - use plastic extrusions to make fillet sections to smooth out the airflow.  But I think it’s the roughened airflow caused by the 90 degree profile that is preventing the whistling ; I’d wager that if you fit smoothing fillets, you’d substitute a faint roar (lost in the background of the other aerodynamic noise and tyres) for a more noticeable whistle.

1 hour ago, daveturnbull said:

I am however wondering how long you're going to get away with having your winch rope party obscuring the number plate.

Yeah I must get round to sorting something to loop the rope round lower down. :rtfm: It is readable from speed camera hight but I'm not sure anpr can read a Q plate anyway. :ph34r:

Mike

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...