ibex 300 build

As the sun was out it was a good weekend to pull the heater out. I've always had low air output and had a suspicion the seal to the bulkhead was leaking. Heater out I've made a new seal hopefully shaped to fit better and in much better condition than the one in there. Was toying with doing daveturnbull's swift motor conversion but have decided to leave that for another day. It does feel better but I guess I'll find out on a wet and horrible morning.

Mike

On 2/26/2021 at 2:21 PM, Retroanaconda said:

Britannica Restorations over the pond have a modification kit to install the bush into the Tdi arm, to help longevity and smoothness of action.

I like the look of those.  It’s quite similar to the SIII pivot, which never seems to wear out.

• 3 months later...

My winch (ep9) has never been quite right but recently the brake spears to jam on or not hold. I've enquired about new brake arrangement but been told they haven't made them for years.

Now our 110 has a fairey 525 PTO winch and it's phenomenal I love it. What if I could do this in the ibex....... :rtfm::im-ok-smiley-emoticon:

I've got a PTO drive but it faces forward and hopefully I've got a superwinch PTO winch and shafts coming. Once it's all here I'm going to look into the viability.......

Mike

• Like 2

you can drill through the cover to make the shaft pointing the other way, still utilizing the chain drive in your drop box. Or get a rear facing PTO. I Don't know how the winch is positioned relative to the transfer box.

Daan

4 minutes ago, Daan said:

you can drill through the cover to make the shaft pointing the other way, still utilizing the chain drive in your drop box. Or get a rear facing PTO. I Don't know how the winch is positioned relative to the transfer box.

Daan

A rear facing PTO would be ideal if I could find/afford one. I think I can either use the chain drive and switch it front to rear or chop the drop part off and mount the shaft to the back if the overload clutch. I'll also need to switch the input from one side to the other on the winch and I'm not sure if rotation will need reversing. 

Mike

Is the winch reversible? As in put the worm box to the left rather than the right, viewing from the front.

you can always put it upside down, with the worm on top. When I switched from the 36:1 to the 9:1 ratio, it turned out they rotate a different direction; I had to change the fairlead position so it spools from the bottom rather than the top of the drum.

I have a rear facing PTO in bits, that I might be convinced to part with, or swap for a willys jeep PTO....

Daan

• Like 1

The worm definitely needs to stay at the bottom. I've not got the winch yet so until it arrives I don't know what I can do with it. I'll keep your PTO in mind mind I've still got to find the one I have as it's in a post house move box somewhere.

Mike

Rear-facing LT230 PTO's may be expensive but the basic thing is a very simple device, especially if you just make a very small adapter to take the LT230 output into a standard industrial dog clutch so that part is done for you.

Not that I've thought about it of course.

You're welcome to look at my rear-facing PTO for inspiration, pretty sure we must know a few folks who could machine something up from scratch without too much effort.

I've got the complicated part of the PTO in the fwd facing one and I can either adapt that to rear facing or attach to the main shaft. The tricky bit will be mounting the winch low enough and getting drive to it, but until it gets here and I can throw a tape at it I won't know how viable it all is. Worst case is I sell the lot and just get another electric winch.

Mike

37 minutes ago, darthdicky said:

I've got a broken forward facing PTO going spare if it would be any use? Broken as in the casing hit a tree stump (nothing to do with my driving!) and cracked it in two...

I may well be interested as the one I have is technically a spare for the 110 for exactly that reason.

Mike

On 6/17/2021 at 9:47 PM, darthdicky said:

I've got a broken forward facing PTO going spare if it would be any use? Broken as in the casing hit a tree stump (nothing to do with my driving!) and cracked it in two...

If Mike doesn't want it I'd be interested.

4 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

So, am I collecting a PTO fro Mr Dicky by any chance? ;)

I'm sure one of us could make use of it. :popcorn-and-drink-smiley-emotic

I need to measure up to see if it will even fit under the seat now before I get carried away looking at modifications.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the drawing board has been re-erected...doh. the H14 will not fit. Even a husky looks like it would require a fair bit of work. Not sure where to go now, the ep9 has been good so could get similar but I like the idea of no brake.

Mike