ibex 300 build

Well it's in and working. I need to make the freespool accessable, it needs a lever and push rod arrangement. Certainly with the X9 there is a destinct difference between winch in and out, it looks like the brake drags a little winching out. This isn't a problem if you freespool but that's always been tricky on the ibex. I'm fairly certain the ep9 was the wrong way round meaning the brake was dragging while winching in, thus the winch was down on pulling power. The only reason it lasted as long as it did is because I used to winch out instead of freespool and most my winching is on flat ground so didn't notice the brake failing.

Mike

• Like 2

On 8/28/2021 at 6:34 AM, miketomcat said:

Well it's in and working. I need to make the freespool accessable, it needs a lever and push rod arrangement. Certainly with the X9 there is a destinct difference between winch in and out, it looks like the brake drags a little winching out. This isn't a problem if you freespool but that's always been tricky on the ibex. I'm fairly certain the ep9 was the wrong way round meaning the brake was dragging while winching in, thus the winch was down on pulling power. The only reason it lasted as long as it did is because I used to winch out instead of freespool and most my winching is on flat ground so didn't notice the brake failing.

Mike

Mike, it will always drag on winch out, as it uses a one way bearing. The manufacturer states no more than 20seconds of winch out, without a break.  I tend to use rope protector on the first wrap of the drum. I have set up a bowden cable, previously, on a rear mounted X9 (belonging to a customer)

30 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

This certainly makes sense and I'm happy with the way it is now, just need to sort the freespool (a Bowden cable is on the cards). As for the ep9 the brake was playing up so I guess that's what killed it.

Mike

If I come accross an EP9 that's being broken, I'll let you know

8 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

I'm sure I can find an Allen bolt at somepoint. The end plate is bolted which means I'll have to take the end off to remove it but I plan to fit a grease nipple in the plate at some stage.

Mike

What size stainless Allen bolt do you need I have a selection could post you one down regards Stephen

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Synchromesh on third has been shot for a while, so I finally admitted defeat and pulled the gearbox out today. I've got a spare donated by TSD however as I discovered after I'd got mine out the spare is the V8 version. DOH. Fortunately I have another spare stashed in a garage..... Que a trip to said garage to dig it out. Replacement gearbox and original transfer box are now back under the car ready to go back in tomorrow. 

Now ever since I built the car I've had a rattle seemingly suspension related. I've checked everything to no avail. Whilst taking the gearbox out I noticed a witness mark on the cross member from the gearbox and the mount near it is bent. I've relieved the cross member and added a web to the mount.

IMG_20211106_180522.thumb.jpg.ffe149ad51e602e28418deeeddcd51c0.jpg

IMG_20211106_180534.thumb.jpg.c7418d83ae849dd8f538198332eeb0a8.jpg

Mike

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2021 at 7:37 PM, miketomcat said:

Well gearbox is in no major hassle and the cross member mods look to of improved things. We'll see if it solves my rattle when I get to do a longer run.

Mike

I Have a coupleof spare LT77#s if you are caught short. I also have an autobox for a 200tdi and all the associated fittings. Box needs a service and a new sump seal - just in case

Meant to say, I've found a couple of X9 plastic end plates - if you want one

29 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

I Have a coupleof spare LT77#s if you are caught short. I also have an autobox for a 200tdi and all the associated fittings. Box needs a service and a new sump seal - just in case

Meant to say, I've found a couple of X9 plastic end plates - if you want one

Thanks, I'm ok for a gearbox for now just will grab one as a spare at some point. The plate I made for the X9 is fine so no worries.

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Deep joy I've now got an oil pressure issue. Over the last week or so when good and hot the oil pressure light flickers at tick over. This now seems to do it after a run in traffic. I should have a spare switch so I'll try that to start with. I'm also going to replace the radiator as it created the same issue when I built it this was due to restricted oil ports.

On another note the winch line has jammed in the tube so need to look at that to.

Mike

• Sad 1

I wouldn't worry too much if the light only flickers at on hot idle. There aren't too many 200tdis that can be considered in the first flush of youth.

With no gauge on hand, I'd do an oil and filter change to check for diesel, or unexpected bits of piston...

Winch line jammed in the tube is normal for Ibex, it means you didn't spool it out and clean it after the last use. My neighbours used to think it a bit odd when I put a tree strop round a lamp post and then reversed away from it.

If you've been playing in the chalk on the Plain, I wouldn't risk a lamp post, find a big tree :lol:

• Haha 2

Just done an oil and filter change it made no difference and I didn't see anything amiss. The engine is under 170k so whilst not young it's not rocket ship either. I'll try the obvious easy fixes if none work it'll be a case of run it till something gives. I have another engine though that's had different issues in the past but I know what that was know.

The rope jamming was a little odd to I'd just finish using it for a recovery then couldn't free spool it back out for the next one. Tried a tree and nearly pulled it down, especially when it started juddering. Once I managed to get it out I rinsed it off in the lake and winched it back in, still jammed.  I thought the chassis pulley had seized but that's fine. It seems to be jammed towards the back of the tube because there is give at the front. Whilst it's not a clean as it could be I wondered if there's a build up of fibres that have got hot enough to melt into a block. My plan is to take the hook off and winch it out of the tube. Then I can run a drain cleaner up it to see if I can clear it.

Mike

Edited by miketomcat