Stainless exhaust pictures.

It was direct from the factory (Double 'S') and they are cheap for a stainless exhaust at 303 pounds including vat and delivery.

It is a slightly smaller diameter and the over axle bend does look better in the picture than in real life!

wow, some good photos there, definitely something to munch on. :i-m_so_happy: but if you dont mind, i have some questions and opinions on the exhaust. :)

Q, it certainly looks good. but it doesn't have a center silencer. does this make it much louder? and your old one has no end silencer, which one is louder/sounds better?

your point about higher boosting, are you sure? as i understood (happy to be corrected :) ) but removing the mid box allows it to spool up faster rather that increase boost pressure?

the bends.. they look rather constricting? epically over the axle! can you get a diameter measurement on the over axle bend please and of the rest of the exhaust please as it looks like it has a smaller diameter than your old one.

and last but not least. where did you get if from and how much? :)

wow, some good photos there, definitely something to munch on. :i-m_so_happy: but if you dont mind, i have some questions and opinions on the exhaust. :)

Q, it certainly looks good. but it doesn't have a center silencer. does this make it much louder? and your old one has no end silencer, which one is louder/sounds better?

My original used to have a back box ... but it fell off a year ago so I replaced it with a bit of pipe I made from a rolled up bit of computer case (pikey I know) but losing the back box made no noticable difference from standard.

Removing the mid box on the new system has made it ever so slightly louder inside but not unpleasant, sounds quite nice .... not had a chance to rev it while standing behind the car due to short arms and no mates :P

your point about higher boosting, are you sure? as i understood (happy to be corrected :) ) but removing the mid box allows it to spool up faster rather that increase boost pressure?

I agree with what you say as that is what I believed, however I base the comment about a higher boost purely on the fact the boost guage is now showing nearer to 20psi than the 15psi it used to show.

the bends.. they look rather constricting? epically over the axle! can you get a diameter measurement on the over axle bend please and of the rest of the exhaust please as it looks like it has a smaller diameter than your old one.

and last but not least. where did you get if from and how much? :)

I'll get some diameter measurements tomorrow when it's light

My original used to have a back box ... but it fell off a year ago so I replaced it with a bit of pipe I made from a rolled up bit of computer case (pikey I know) but losing the back box made no noticable difference from standard.

good improvisation! :i-m_so_happy: and thanks for the answers, much appreciated. :)

54mm sounds quite small to me for a big turbo diesel engine... Assuming the same wall thickness thats a 20% reduction in area over stock! Not to mention the further restrictions on those bends.

2.5" or 63mm would be the minimum i'd expect, especially given its an aftermarket "upgrade". The factory TD5 system i've fitted to my rebuild is 63mm. I certainly wouldnt accept anything less than the factory 60mm pipe.

Personally if it were my money, i'd be sending it back!

54mm sounds quite small to me for a big turbo diesel engine... Assuming the same wall thickness thats a 20% reduction in area over stock! Not to mention the further restrictions on those bends.

2.5" or 63mm would be the minimum i'd expect, especially given its an aftermarket "upgrade". The factory TD5 system i've fitted to my rebuild is 63mm. I certainly wouldnt accept anything less than the factory 60mm pipe.

Personally if it were my money, i'd be sending it back!

I was concerned about it when it arrived but I had waited a month for it as they had run out of centre pipes and my current exhaust was literally hanging off (the rear section had lost the end pipe and exhaust hanger had detatched, I'd also had to weld the mid box up again) so I needed to get an exhaust on as it is my only vehicle.

After fitting it and going for a drive it does feel more free reving, this can only be down to the lack of mid box or the fact the turbo now seems to be reaching a higher boost pressure (which I'don't fully understand why).

Out of curiosity what diameter is a TD exhaust? I know a number of people are still running those after upgrading their engine to a TDI.

A quick google brought up kewtube.com , a CNC pipe subcontractor , not so far from you , maybe get that one copied in bigger bore then send it back?

It does seem a bit small on bore size and those bends are pretty badly crushed, almost like the wrong die was used?

cheers

Steveb

I have spoken to Double 'S' about the exhaust, specifically the rear section with the bend that goes over the axle. They said that pretty much all the compression bends they do come out like that, they do also do mandrel bending (but not for that part) however due to the restrictions of their tooling it would increase the price considerably as they would have to cut and weld the bends together.

So it does seem to be a case of you get what you pay for.

The person I spoke to did also say that they hadn't had anyone come back to them with any performance problems after fitting one of these exhausts. I would add that so far that would seem to be the case with this system fitted to mine, although I can't help wondering what it would be like if it was a mandrel bent system of the correct diameter.

I had a full stainless system fitted by the same place as Nige. My downpipe was slightly smaller diameter than the rest (determined by the diameter of the turbo outlet), and then it went to a flexi joint by the sump and on through 2.5 inch diameter pipe. I have two free flowing silencers fitted (in the normal places). They also welded the bend over the rear axle, so it wasnt a bent curve. Whole thing cost £500. Lifetime warranty and they have tweaked it for me FOC since fitting to remove a little more of the exhaust drone i had.