Stainless exhaust pictures.

Who are they reb? Do you have a link? Thanks

Here is HFHs original post. http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=31256

Rather than start a new one, i added comments on mine to the end of that one. The pics of Niges exhaust show the quality of the work. I was well pleased with mine :)

The company is http://www.powerspeed.co.uk/ (unfortunately a little way from you).

Ok ! every one likes the thought of a stainless exhaust, but £303!! Let's look at this objectively ££££££. A straight thro (non cat ) downpipe, in MS should last for yEARS, as there is no restriction, no box, and no reason for it to rust. mines been on 3 years, and no rust. It replaced a 'cat' version , and replace for no other reason than I only paid £17 for it and had read that the cat one was restrictive.. the centre box was replaced when I bought the truck, in April '06, and still going strong, the rear pipe and box was also replaced when bought, and I'm now on my third in 7 years (cheapys) @ £25 a pop. £303 is a big chunk of cash. The only bit that really get's it is the rear pipe to rear box joint, where it passes over the axle and gets covered in stuff. Now a stainless rear bit might be worth it if it was cheap. but otherwise, a lot of dosh.

Personally I would give that exhaust back to them.

The TD exhaust is 2" not sure what the 200tdi is as standard. I made my own exhaust for mine (200 with 300turbo) in mandrel bent 2.5" pipe using bolt together fittings...cost alot less than £300, will never hit the ground, is totally free-flowing and has a anti-vibration unit. You could probably do it cheaper still

Ok ! every one likes the thought of a stainless exhaust, but £303!! Let's look at this objectively ££££££. A straight thro (non cat ) downpipe, in MS should last for yEARS, as there is no restriction, no box, and no reason for it to rust. mines been on 3 years, and no rust. It replaced a 'cat' version , and replace for no other reason than I only paid £17 for it and had read that the cat one was restrictive.. the centre box was replaced when I bought the truck, in April '06, and still going strong, the rear pipe and box was also replaced when bought, and I'm now on my third in 7 years (cheapys) @ £25 a pop. £303 is a big chunk of cash. The only bit that really get's it is the rear pipe to rear box joint, where it passes over the axle and gets covered in stuff. Now a stainless rear bit might be worth it if it was cheap. but otherwise, a lot of dosh.

Interesting interpretation however my rear section never failed at the bend over the axle, it did fail by dropping the entire box out of the rear section, once that had been replaced by a section of pipe the next failure was the rear most hanger detached followed by the end of the pipe falling off.

The mid box failed by cracking off at one end of the box next to the weld and then several months after that was rewelded it then cracked the other end of the box. That was then rewelded, however perforations were appearing around the other exhaust hangers and the seam along the pipe on the front section is starting to perforate.

Whilst it is probably a fools errand rewelding an exhaust it does show where the exhaust fails next.

I'm willing to agree that a stainless exhaust is not a great decision based purely on the economics.

Ok ! every one likes the thought of a stainless exhaust, but £303!! Let's look at this objectively ££££££.

I think if you look at it objectively in financial terms, the Defender is a poor choice of vehicle unless you have a highly specialized application such as a utility company off-road light truck. Fortunately we're not accountants so we don't. But as you mention it - 3 in 7 years at £25 a pop = £75. And that's just one component. And that's assuming labour to fit it is free. For you it might be, for an accountant, it isn't. Starts to make a £303 exhaust system more appealing.

No reason for it to rust.

I think you're assuming that trapped water is the only reason exhausts corrode. It isn't.

At the end of the day, a mild steel exhaust system must be seen as a wear item. A stainless exhaust system, provided it is made of the correct grade material isn't. Keep in mind too that if a 'custom' system is required, the material cost pales into insignificance compared to the labour cost.

You pays your money, etc.

Matt

£303 is not expensive for a stainless exhaust. If you priced up a same spec mild steel system I expect you would be paying nearly as much, if not more. The Double S comes with a lifetime warranty. Obviously the value of this may depend on how long you plan keeping the vehicle concerned.

When I bought my V8 Ninety some 19 years ago it needed a full system. In mild steel from a random exhaust supplier was around £200, the Double S system was £165! No brainer really. That system was in fine shape when I removed it a good 12 years later to fit a larger bore system (due to fitting larger engine). I sold that system for £50!

As for the comment about why an exhaust pipe should rust - well road salt on our roads for one. Tail pipes invariably rot where the rear wheel throws the muck up.

Secondly, moisture from the exhaust gasses. If you do a lot of short runs the system doesn't get a chance to warm up, and the pipes get a lot of condensation inside. So this depends on use.

If like me you run LPG, there is a lot more moisture in the gasses anyway. My RRC has a mild steel system; I've been through two rear boxes in the 7 years or so I've owned it!

Aftermarket exhausts don't last anywhere near as long as factory fitted items - that's a fact. My V8 Ninety (LPG) has a genuine (it has the oval embossed in it) rear section from a Td5, the metal is so thick it will take some time to rot through. Just think how long ago a Td5 engined Defender left the factory!

The aftermarket/factory thing is a good point. My parents Audi is 17 years old and is still fitted with the original factory exhaust, barring a new flexi which i fitted about 3 years ago. The replacement flexi section has just failed again this last week and they had a new one fitted today.

I've always wondered if they use a low grade stainless steel to ensure they last longer? They do rust, but not anywhere near the way you'd expect.

Also, the new-take-off TDCi rear box i bought last month is all shiney, bar the three bolt flange which is brown/rust colored, so i'd assume from that the pipe work is stainless of some description? Or maybe zinc plated?

I have just bough a Griffin exhaust, Made in 76mm to 63mm 304 aircraft grade stainless tube , it only has a center silencer. Life time warrenty.

I can not post any pictures yet as I an waiting on delivery, if it turnes up before Tuesday I will post pictures, I am going away on Tuesday for two weeks.

Cost me £425 but if it lasts I will be happy and any boost in performance will be a boost.

I do lots pf short runs and my pipe never gets that hot most of the time.

I put a stainless setup on my truck when I got it 14 or 15 years ago. About 4 years ago I discovered a tiny hole in the middle box. I sent it back (rimmers I think) and they replaced it immediately, for free. Lifetime warranty is not to be sniffed at!

That aside, it's in fine condition, and it'll be going onto the truck when it's rebuilt (hopefully this summer). That was about £300 for everything south of the manifolds.

When the proper engine goes in, this one'll go onto dad's truck, and I'll be asking powerspeed (thanks reb) for a quote.

I have just bough a Griffin exhaust, Made in 76mm to 63mm 304 aircraft grade stainless tube , it only has a center silencer. Life time warrenty.

I can not post any pictures yet as I an waiting on delivery, if it turnes up before Tuesday I will post pictures, I am going away on Tuesday for two weeks.

Cost me £425 but if it lasts I will be happy and any boost in performance will be a boost.

I do lots pf short runs and my pipe never gets that hot most of the time.

Thats what I fitted, the owner James IIRC even called in on his way on holiday with the wife and kids for over an hour with addtional pipe and mounts as mine was a slightly odd ball fitment all at no extra cost, asbolute A1 service !

Does anyone know where I would stand with the distance selling regulations if I did decide to return the exhaust considering it has been fitted and used on a half hour test drive? I'm still within the 7 day window from delivery.

I took a couple of extra measurements earlier.

The wall thickness of the pipe seems to be 1.8mm (is that a standard size?)

On the over axle bend the diameter has been squashed to 40mm.

So as I see it the various cross sectional areas are:-

Standard pipe (60mm diameter) CSA = 2826mm2

Double 'S' pipe (54mm diameter) CSA = 2123mm2

Over axle bend (54mm x 40mm) CSA = 1633mm2

Does anyone know where I would stand with the distance selling regulations if I did decide to return the exhaust considering it has been fitted and used on a half hour test drive? I'm still within the 7 day window from delivery.

I don't know the answer, but how obvious is it its been fitted? you could always remove it, pressure wash it (inside and out) and blow hot air through it to dry.....its never been fitted sir....

I don't know the answer, but how obvious is it its been fitted? you could always remove it, pressure wash it (inside and out) and blow hot air through it to dry.....its never been fitted sir....

To be fair I doubt you'd ever get it to look like it hadn't been used, especially the front pipe that's bolted to the turbo (I took it for a half hour trash after I fitted it).

I made my own by buying custom bits and sections from http://www.jetex.co.uk/website/jetexcustomexhaustparts.php. Took a bit of a punt, tape measure out, stuck thumb in air and ordered a few bits and a silencer. Exhaust now exits through body behind passenger door. Sounds excellent.

And what did that cost in parts, if you don't mind my asking? SS or mild?