Think the engine is dead

Mark Adams

The existing gasket is not the standard factory fitted one, it is a solid metal gasket with orange silicon around all the holes

aftermarket gaskets are never as good quality as genuine ones, it does sound like the last repair was done as cheaply as possible, never a good idea with the K series.

and 36 quid for a full gasket kit including head bolts??? i would be paying that for the head bolts alone

Hi Mark,

By stand down I guess you mean the depth of the valve face below the port face. The manual does not give a value for this on petrol engines, only for diesels. So I would think this is not an issue providing the following values are not exceeded during a head regrind:-

The manual states

Overall cylinder head height = 118.95 to 119.05mm

Reface limit = 0.2mm

Max acceptable head face distortion = 0.05mm

There is also a value given for the amount that the end of the valve stem protrudes above the face it protrudes from.

When new = 38.93 to 39.84mm

Service limit = 40.10mm (assume this means after lapping in, or recutting the seat & lapping)

Cheers - John N

Well after waiting a while for my friend to find the money I decided I need it out of the way so I have paid for the work myself, I have just had it pressure tested (hot and cold) and had it skimmed.

The pressure testing showed no leaks so the head was not the problem.

They are also going to re-seat the valves as they were leaking and even after lapping some of them still leaked.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I have been away so have not managed to do any work on the freelander, got back any started to get it back together, I have not replaced the head and cams but when reattaching the belts I had the marks perfectly in-line and then found that the belt will not go on unless the exhaust sprocket is about 1mm higher than the inlet mark. I cant adjust it as then the belt will not line up with the teeth.

It is only a fraction out but I am not happy with it, does not any know what is causing this?

Mark.