noise control - dynamat xtreme on the underside of the bonnet

I have a 2002 TD5.

I have put dynamat in the footwells & doors & it is definitely better.

I still have some areas on the inside to do but I was thinking about the bonnet.

The bonnet has no insulation at all unlike my mates two Tdis.

So I was wondering if anyone has put dynamat xtreme on the underside of the bonnet.

I am sure it will stick on fine but will it be OK when I sit in a traffic jam in the south of france ?

There are plenty of youtube videos of people doing it in the good old USofA so I am guessing it should be OK,

but I do not want melting bitumen all over my engine.

Rather than spending silly-money on pimp-my-ride audio-grade damping, go and visit your nearest commercial/industrial air-conditioning-system supplier/installer.

They use a range of self-adhesive mats and claddings to damp out very-low-frequency rumbles/throbs in air-conditioning plenums and ducts.

Most of these are fire-retardant/high-temperature-rated (to comply with building-regulations) and are _much_ cheaper than dynamat etc. If you're lucky they may give you a few offcuts (enough to do a Land-Rover) for the price of a beer.

Dynamat xtreme is only good for stopping vibrations in panels and reflecting heat. It does next to nothing when it comes to stoping airborn low/mid feq noise!

If the panel of you bonnet is wobbling and creating a noise then dynamat will help, but if you want to block engine noise passing through then you need a thick hoodliner. It would be cheaper and more effective to rip hood sound proofing out of a scrap cars to use under your bonnet.

I have dynamat xtreme and dynamt hoodliner under my bonnet - result is very very minor noise attenuation... In a defener most of the uncomfortable noise comes from wind, vibration and a cold bare interior that amplifies it all.

Hunt out and seal all gaps and holes, dampen all large surface interior panels with dynamat type stuff (you do not have to cover everything - just enough to stop the wobble), stick down a layer of closed cell foam wherever you can, this will help reduce the amount of sound that bounces around inside. Just getting the doors to seal properly makes a huge difference to noise levels on the moterway!