3.5 Efi Running Trouble,,ideas Please (copy)

TJ101

Sorry guys,, if i have messed this up,, but copy of the question i asked on the dark side !, wanted to kept it going ,, just in case it goes walkie overnight,, and "NO" its not cured as yet,,,

(hope i dod not get deleted by the mods !! :rolleyes: )

Regards Tim

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All,

Have a RR 3.5 efi in a series, before I start pulling to bits, have a running problem,

Start & runs really well,but within a minute or so,will misfire and start to be reluctant to pick up on the revs, until after 2-3 mins will refuse to pick up at all,then after 3-4 mins will be a so & so to even start,

Leave for a couple of hours to cool??, will then will do all again, start fine etc

Any ideas when to start looking would be appreciated

Regards Tim

Post Extras:

fridgefreezer

(Secret Chav!!)

08/05/05 01:14 AM

Re: 3.5 EFi Running trouble,,ideas please [re: TJ101] Reply

It could be... anything! More info required if you have it.

Are you still using the ignition amplifier module?

Does it seem excessively rich or lean when the problem ocurrs?

Have you changed anything recently?

You know the little Squirt's right!

Post Extras:

TJ101

(enthusiast)

08/05/05 09:13 AM

Re: 3.5 EFi Running trouble,,ideas please [re: fridgefreezer] Edit Reply

Hi Fridge

Thanks for the reply,,it a 1958 series body, with RR running gear, took it in px for my Defender Tdi, as a non runner, so do not know what has been done to it, and not looked at yet, so not a lot of info re amp module etc,

All I know , is go to it now, and will start fine, not rich/lean etc, pick up on the throttle ok,,then as soon as she warms ( minute or so), will lose throttle response and start spluttering, getting worst until no throttle at all (3 mins)

Think I will start with the basis's first (cap/leads/timing) before the airflow/ ecu etc

Regards Tim

Post Extras:

Hybrid_from_Hell

(Cat Waxoyler Extraordinaire)

08/05/05 07:18 PM

Fuel pressure (should be 28-30psi when running or stationary), Coil, amplifier and fuel filter blockage, earths from ECU Harness, PRV are the 1st ports of call

Nige

If I say anything, and there's 2 ways of taking it, if one way annoys you then I meant the other

Post Extras:

fridgefreezer

(Secret Chav!!)

08/06/05 01:45 AM

Re: 3.5 EFi Running trouble,,ideas please [re: Hybrid_from_Hell] Reply

My #1 suspect would be the coolant temperature sensor.

You know the little Squirt's right!

Post Extras:

jwriyadh

(Member)

08/06/05 01:49 AM

Re: 3.5 EFi Running trouble,,ideas please [re: Hybrid_from_Hell] Reply

Define the EFi a bit more, flapper or Hotwire.

Don't look for problems anywhere, cut down the suspect area.

Run from cold for 3/4 mins and it won't start. Easiest check is have you got a big fat spark? No, check ignition items.

Check fuel pressure with an old oil gauge. Pressure at right level, 35-36 psi engine still, drops to 31-32 if engine idling.

Fuel pressure OK, if still not starting check the plugs, wet or dry?

The checks above have narrowed down the search area.

jw

1978 2.25 Lightweight

1997 V8 Defender

1998 V8 Discovery

Post Extras:

TJ101

(enthusiast)

08/06/05 11:54 PM

Re: 3.5 EFi Running trouble,,ideas please [re: jwriyadh] Edit Reply

Thanks all, Tried the temp switch, seams to improve it a wee bit ? maybe, tried it down the road, got 50 yards,then died !!, will have another look Monday,,

When you say flapper, presume you mean the airflow meter flap ??,,(if so,, yes ,, Flapper) spark is good cold & hot,, fuel pressure next to check

Regards Tim

Post Extras:

jwriyadh

(Member)

08/07/05 01:18 AM

Magic, you're halfway there.

Good fat spark at any time whether it will start or not means ignition can be ignored for the moment.

Flapper system, remove fuel feed to the ninth injector on OS of the plenum, fit oil pressure gauge.

Start from cold and run until it dies or seriously messes about.

If the fuel pressure dies (drops below 32ish) during this period you need to be looking at fuel pump/pump power supply/filter/ anything that stops fuel arriving at the injectors.

If fuel pressure does not droop , stays constant around 32-37 then you should be looking at whether injectors are working,are plugs wet at this point or dry? Too much fuel or not enough.

A dwell meter across the two wires to an injector will show whether ECU is driving injectors, voltmeter will show injectors getting power.

jw

jw

1978 2.25 Lightweight

1997 V8 Defender

1998 V8 Discovery

Post Extras:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Nige,, will forward to Mark, the new owner of the hybrid,, sure he will find it good bedtime reading !! :D

surpose we could send Les a couple of squirts ,, help him with his smelly diesel head, next time it has to come off!!! :P

Blimey Nige,

I did'nt know you could send WD by broadband....you learn something new on these forums everyday      :ph34r:

Not helping am I ? :rolleyes:

You having a laff Lesmond....? :blink:

I seem to remember you need a little more than WD40 to kepp your motor moving..... :lol::lol::lol::lol: