Loosing coolant

jimmy86

Hi all

I noticed that my freelander has lost quite a bit of coolant since I checked the levels a few hundred miles ago. It has not been overheating though according to the temp gauge. Is this still likely to be hgf? There doesn't appear to be any obvious leaks anywhere. What else can I check to confirm or rule out hgf? There doesn't appear to be any other running issues at present. Have topped up the coolant for the meantime and will check it every journey.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers

Head Gasket failure has a few signs... Lots of white steam/smoke indicating coolant being burnt is one. Coffee coloured oil is another.

Take the cap off the rad and start the car. If the gasket is blowing into the coolant system it will bubble out of the top. Plus poor running/lack of power. When my series blew its gasket i had all these signs which made it easier to diagnose

I would just keep an eye on it.

I remember someone once telling me that coolant expands when warm and this can lead to the system spitting it out, but when cold again will read lower again. Have you checked anywhere for leaks or even weeps? Glycol based coolant has a high searching attribute which means its very good at finding even the smallest gaps in a pressurised system.

I don't know much at all about freelanders being a series lover myself, but Coolant issues are not vehicle specific google is your friend on this one too.

Thanks again. Just noticed that since I topped up the coolant a few days ago the level doesn't appear to have dropped noticeably. Its been a few hundred miles is that normal with hgf? I would have expected it to be a consistent loss.

Yeah, if the hg was gone and was blowing into the cooling system you would notice it going down pretty quick, and the change in running characteristics would be very hard to miss. I have a Mazda familia with 70,000kms as my daily driver and I top up the coolant every once in a while, I don't know where it goes but the car is running just fine haha

Thanks again. Just noticed that since I topped up the coolant a few days ago the level doesn't appear to have dropped noticeably. Its been a few hundred miles is that normal with hgf? I would have expected it to be a consistent loss.

Remember that the heater matrix is part of the coolant circuit. You could be losing coolant slowly into the carpet in the passenger side footwell and not realising it. I have this issue now and have bypassed the heater matrix while I build up the gumption to pull the whole dash out and replace the matrix... Not looking forward to that job...

• 2 months later...
Just an update. There are no signs of water in the passenger footwell.

Any other suggestions?

Yes,get a garage to pressure test the cooling system when the engine is cold.The amount of coolant you have lost was probably lost as steam with a hot engine over that distance.Testing it cold will often show up a very slight loss as a drip after 10 mins or so. My record is 7 different leaks on an LPG powered Range Rover,most of which were where the LPG vaporiser hoses had been teed into the heater hoses....

• 6 years later...

HI, have a Freelander HSE 4 TD, I changed my radiator, small accident, the hose popped of , lost all coolant and went into red. I fixed it, but now I am loosing 1,5 l of water on every stop, I am on a trip and covered 1500km. Car runs perfect with a little pressure when I open expansion tank. Where could my water be going, water and oil is clean.