The "pass the bucket" crazy/dumb/idiot ideas/LR creations

o_teunico

Have seen this in one of the cars from Tornado Motorport...

558201_426845604024396_86397249_n.jpg

...and I was guessing if this kind of arrangement could be used as an option instead of traditional portal axles.

They seem light and could be made 100% Rover with diffs, shafts, hubs, etc. from scrap/secondhand parts from L322 Rangies, Disco 3/4 or RRS.

Parts from a 500HP RR in a Tdi Disco 1 will certainly become bombproof.

looking at the photo, it's basically a diff from and independent suspension setup, welded into a frame to make a solid axle, using 4 cv joints? i can see it working well at the rear, but at the front the outer CV joint may restrict the amount of lock possible

...and I was guessing if this kind of arrangement could be used as an option instead of traditional portal axles.

They seem light and could be made 100% Rover with diffs, shafts, hubs, etc. from scrap/secondhand parts from L322 Rangies, Disco 3/4 or RRS.

Parts from a 500HP RR in a Tdi Disco 1 will certainly become bombproof.

I have to admit, I like it a lot!!!

looking at the photo, it's basically a diff from and independent suspension setup, welded into a frame to make a solid axle, using 4 cv joints? i can see it working well at the rear, but at the front the outer CV joint may restrict the amount of lock possible

True :blush: But do they have an offering for the front at all? If so it would be nice to see it!!!

as the portals have so many extra seals bearings and gears.

Portals don't have that much extra than a regular axle... really just an extra stub axle with a gear & bearings on it. I've never found myself thinking "oh damn all these extra complications" when working on my portals.

Portals don't have that much extra than a regular axle... really just an extra stub axle with a gear & bearings on it. I've never found myself thinking "oh damn all these extra complications" when working on my portals.

Me neither per se.. But I must admit that after having messed with any other axle out there, when I get to my stock Series axle I laugh at how easy it is to service. And no matter how you put it, one more bearing = one more thing to service.

On regards to the axle shown, I've seen plenty people do the similar to the IFS on Pajero. Basically making a cradle to fix everything, and then make links and suspension. I nice way to get a solid axle with the benefits of independent but without the offroad disadvantages

Saw this on a buggy someone made but they kept the independent suspension for smoothing the bumps at speed and had them connected like a beam axle for greater flex. They used shogun parts as apparently they are relatively cheap, strong and available with factory fit lockers.

Its Matt Lee, owner of Matt Lee MACH 5's that build these axles. I think there is only one in existence on the back of his Tornado.

Tornado Motorsport is owned by his cousin, Dave Billings.

Apparently they're not cousins, I was wrong lol, don't know where I made that up from!

Still a couple of disadvantages compared to portals. 1/ no gear reduction to reduce the strain on the diffs.

2/ whilst clearance under differential is improved by about 3'', the clearance under axle tubes isn't.

3/ This design is more suited to axles with centred differentials. On vehicles such as LandRovers with offcentre differentials, the halfshaft CV/U joints would be operating at a constant severe angle, particularly the very short right hand front.

I prefer oil lubricated CV's and hub bearings.This design would require both being grease lubed.

Unimog portals may be difficult to work on and maintain ,with their enormous press fit tolerances, but Volvo, Maxidrive, and my own full floater portals are a piece of cake.

Hummers are independent+portal. Also have CTIS and double beadlocks. Early ones are more than 20 years old now. If the parts could be cheaply sourced and posted from US...

This pic is from pirate4x4. Uses Hummer parts, but they have left halfshafts laying horizontaly. With halfshafts in "suspension drop" position it could be a super-portal with maybe +8" extra clearance.

Only problem in Europe will be sourcing tyres for Hummer´s 16.5" rim.

112176d1077770724-hummer-portal-hybred-r

Yes but you really don't need anymore lift than Volvo's and Mog's offer, because with stock soft RRC springs allround to keep the cog low, the lowest point suddently becomes transfer box, exhaust, handbrake etc.. And if you should desire more lift what about some portals off of an Ursus tractor? Bevel drive and very high! We have a Toyota hybrid running these in Denmark

The question is; what does it gain you?

Is it cheaper, simpler, stronger, more reliable...?

I don't know if it would be any better to have some custom-made thing like that using bits of Hummers and whatever under my truck instead of the Volvos.

Now can´t take the Hummer hub image out of my head!

Maybe the hub could be converted to Rover wheel stud pattern, in a similar way as was made in the Spidetrax 90 from pirate4x4.

Anothe advantage of the Hummer design is that brakes are out of the harms way in the diff, and not in the hub.

torison_lsd.jpg583469d1300147717-d90-spidertrax-9-609-b