The "pass the bucket" crazy/dumb/idiot ideas/LR creations

o_teunico

So, do they cut all the gear teeth by hand with a hacksaw? And instead of ending up with a gear with say 40 teeth, they occasionally come out with 39 .5 teeth, or 40 teeth all different sizes? :blink:

Not quite, but I think the machines in the factory are quite knackered, so the hole they machine for a bearing or seal might be so loose it rattles round, or so tight you never get it in...

You guys cant seriously be comparing that cheap bow and arrow bender with the Stazworks type are you???

No, I was comparing the Stazworks thing with the Pro-tools/JMR type things, as $800 (plus import etc. obviously. And I suppose accounting for the plummeting pound) for a hydraulic bender of that kind is quite competitive. You'd have to make a few alterations and a stand etc. to make it directly comparable, but I'd rather that than shell out the £1200 for the alternative.

Anyway, probably best left for a different thread, when they send me more info.

Not quite, but I think the machines in the factory are quite knackered, so the hole they machine for a bearing or seal might be so loose it rattles round, or so tight you never get it in...

Sounds like Britpart ;)

Don't ask what goes on in my head but I just had a vision of a diff housing with two swivels and housings forming some sort of random independent type suspension complete with coilovers. I will now go and have a long lay down in a dark room!!!

Don't ask what goes on in my head but I just had a vision of a diff housing with two swivels and housings forming some sort of random independent type suspension complete with coilovers. I will now go and have a long lay down in a dark room!!!

My head is equally screwed up sometimes, waking up in the middle of the night with some brilliant idea, getting dressed to go out into the shed to play with bits of LandRover only to find that concepts that work perfectly well in dreams don't actually make it in the physical dimension.

The idea with swivel housings could probably work if the king pin axis was perpendicular with the axles. Unfortunately they usually have around 7 degrees inclination, which I'd imagine would produce some strange handling on an independant susp .

Well not necessarily, I suppose it could make climbing obstacles a lot easier?

My head is equally screwed up sometimes, waking up in the middle of the night with some brilliant idea, getting dressed to go out into the shed to play with bits of LandRover only to find that concepts that work perfectly well in dreams don't actually make it in the physical dimension.

The idea with swivel housings could probably work if the king pin axis was perpendicular with the axles. Unfortunately they usually have around 7 degrees inclination, which I'd imagine would produce some strange handling on an independant susp .

Not directly related, but maybe this is the thread to ask in, why do you not see Tracta joints in our gear? Being in the process of replacing one on our Daf 4x4 I've been forcibly introduced to it, and it seems like a candidate for a Lee-type axle. Seems like a wide-angle, high strength alternative to CVs or UJs. I'm sure there's a good reason, but I can't think of it, or anyone more likely than you lot to be able to enlighten me.

Haha, well clearly not ideal for your 100mph+ pocket rocket. But on a dedicated offroader maybe. But then again if you don't go high speed, why mess with independent suspension ;)

No, what I'm getting at is that with swivel housings having king pin inclinatation, the half axles wouldn't wouldn't sweep up and down in a vertical plane, but would sweep up and forward, or down and backwards which would have the vehicle steering all over the place.

Maybe the spherical joints of Unimog torque tubes could be used in a similar way?

Why choose betwen independent and live axle? Have both!

Just imagine a Land Rover coiler.

1-Throw away axle

2-In place of axle fit a straigth frame, with coils-shocks as standard axle

3-Attach independent suspension (with coils/shocks) to our newly made frame.

Shocks will be lockable (as seen in MoD Rovers used as weapon launching base to avoid recoiling).

On Road: lock frame´s shocks: will behave like a independent suspension.

Off Road: lock independent suspension´s shock: will behave line an "Atomic Axle".

A rubish photoshop picture of a pajero/shogun/montero rear subframe mounted to a 1Link setup

independentrigidcombo.jpg

Mitsubishi diff looks good because it has some flanges where adapting LR brakes or a custom made hlafshaft will be very easy to attach

8291ifj20.jpg

Hummer portal hubs will be used for steering and extra clearance.

Not directly related, but maybe this is the thread to ask in, why do you not see Tracta joints in our gear? Being in the process of replacing one on our Daf 4x4 I've been forcibly introduced to it, and it seems like a candidate for a Lee-type axle. Seems like a wide-angle, high strength alternative to CVs or UJs. I'm sure there's a good reason, but I can't think of it, or anyone more likely than you lot to be able to enlighten me.

I think cost and complexity of manufacture was the reason that LandRover stopped using Tracta joints around 1952. Also I think Tracta joints need to be supprted on either end of the joint and accurately aligned with the king pin axis, wheras birfields and UJ's don't necessarily.

Perhaps with modern CNC machinary that may no longer be a factor providing that the design is in fact superior to Birfield/Rzeppa type joints.

They seem to be standard in all the daf/fodden military gear's driven steering axles, so they must have some fair merit. I see how they'd be expensive in the machining. Seems a good solution if you can find them second hand though, only 4 parts, no bearings, mating surfaces are fairly big so distribute the force well.

That said, one seemed to fall apart with the truck parked in the yard...

They seem to be standard in all the daf/fodden military gear's driven steering axles, so they must have some fair merit. I see how they'd be expensive in the machining. Seems a good solution if you can find them second hand though, only 4 parts, no bearings, mating surfaces are fairly big so distribute the force well. That said, one seemed to fall apart with the truck parked in the yard...

On my old 6x6 I used LR 80''wb tracta joint axles made from cut down long side inner halfshafts, resplined to 24 spline. They were far stronger and were made from much better quality steel than the later U jointed shafts. As usual with Rover stuff, they have a few sharp edges and corners that should be dressed with a die grinder to prevent the propogation of cracks.

bloody hell i cant leave them for 5 mins before more pictures are taken...... :ph34r: they are at Milners for some shaft sized loveliness....mmm shiny Dan.

Soren.. they do you the main gears but with vastly improved internals, bearings etc. Fingers crossed they will be spot on !!!

Anybody have any info on CTIS for mog axles please??

Back in 2007 I was working in a bus/coach workshop at the parts dept. We were authorised Mercedes-Benz and SETRA service centre, and as such, had access to MB electronic parts catalogue. Unfortunately the CTIS was not covered in the UNIMOG section. Maybe it was not offered for civilian market.