The "pass the bucket" crazy/dumb/idiot ideas/LR creations

o_teunico

The "portal effect" in the Hummer means that the diff sits higher, but you are right, bottom part suspension arm is at same height as a non-portal design.

This ones are called "atomic axles"

SAP1008_PROD-21_rev.jpg

atomic.jpg

And this is a homemade version of it, built in UK for a trialler called "Screamer"http://www.pirate4x4.no/forum/showthread.php?50292-UK-Proto-Screamer

photobucket-1216-1336260448231.jpg

"Atomic" design + portals will give about 10" of extra ground clearance. Add some 36-37" tyres and you will end with 14" more ground clearance!

Only problem of this design is that diffs are all centered. Not good for a landy with offset t-case.

I'm not certain that Humvee portals are all that plentiful even in the US. If they were I'm surprised someone hasn't cast new housings with integral flanges so that they can be easily adapted to common US domestic axles. The standard housings have no real surfaces to bolt brake calipers or banjo housing flanges to, and the king pin lugs probably dont match any of the D44/60/70 etc steering knuckles.

I personally wouldn't aim for more than 5'' extra ground clearance from portals alone. Anyone that has ever bogged a portal axled truck in deep mud to below the hub centres will know what an absolute PITA they can be to recover because even when winching the wheels prefer to burrow deeper rather than lift up out of the holes.

Take your first photo on post 26 with the buggy climbing the retaining wall and the diff almost touching it.

On a tube chassied vehicle, where you are not having to work around existing factory chassis rails, wouldn't it be simpler, cheaper and easier to use a straight axle and offset the differential as close to the right or left hand wheel as you can make it? That way the diff should still clear the concrete.

If my main offroader was a coil sprung LandRover, the first change I would make is to devise some way of getting that stupid steering track rod up out of harms way, instead of hanging down below the axle tubes.

The "portal effect" in the Hummer means that the diff sits higher, but you are right, bottom part suspension arm is at same height as a non-portal design.

This ones are called "atomic axles"

[img=http://noticias4x4.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/SAP1008_PROD-21_rev.jpg]

[img=http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/mikehillis_2006/atomic.jpg]

And this is a homemade version of it, built in UK for a trialler called "Screamer"http://www.pirate4x4.no/forum/showthread.php?50292-UK-Proto-Screamer

[img=http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/Eclipsed4ever/Screamer/photobucket-1216-1336260448231.jpg]

"Atomic" design + portals will give about 10" of extra ground clearance. Add some 36-37" tyres and you will end with 14" more ground clearance!

Only problem of this design is that diffs are all centered. Not good for a landy with offset t-case.

That homemade axle looks like it weighs more than the moon and has more mud traps than a discovery - and almost as ugly.

Good concept though.

My thoughts are the hummer portal is a real portal due to the fact that the imput is higher than the output. Even with its independant suspension top and bottom links, the wheel center is lower than that of a normal independant suspesion driven axle. Also it allows the imput shaft to be at a flatter angle for a given ride height, which inturn is less angle at cvs = more better (thats the tech bit)

Take your first photo on post 26 with the buggy climbing the retaining wall and the diff almost touching it.

On a tube chassied vehicle, where you are not having to work around existing factory chassis rails, wouldn't it be simpler, cheaper and easier to use a straight axle and offset the differential as close to the right or left hand wheel as you can make it? That way the diff should still clear the concrete.

That´s the route that many rock-crawlers are following for avoiding the expense of a portal conversion.

I'm not certain that Humvee portals are all that plentiful even in the US. If they were I'm surprised someone hasn't cast new housings with integral flanges so that they can be easily adapted to common US domestic axles.

They did a portal kit with Hummer parts, but have discontinued it in favour of a new design.

http://stazworks.com/axels.htm

pwe_right_90_062210.jpg

That´s the route that many rock-crawlers are following for avoiding the expense of a portal conversion.

They did a portal kit with Hummer parts, but have discontinued it in favour of a new design.

http://stazworks.com/axels.htm

Looks like a 4-gear design to avoid having to flip the diffs, I think I saw a prototype of those a few years ago, strong but damn heavy. Probably not such an issue on a US rig.

Looks like a 4-gear design to avoid having to flip the diffs, I think I saw a prototype of those a few years ago, strong but damn heavy. Probably not such an issue on a US rig.

They look massive, that's a dana60 kingpin knuckle. It looks lost on them

As a slight diversion, stazworks tube benders sound quite good.

The size of that frame could seriously limit some 3D bending

The Hummer portal doesn't add a huge amount of ground clearance in it's original application, persay. The two main advantages are that despite the steep angle of the suspension arms, the drive shaft angles are much less. And secondly the gear reduction in the portal reduces the loads inboard meaning the diff is actually a GM '10 bolt' centre, well know for being weedy in a live axle.

At $800 it seemed worth asking for some more info

In ebay there are tube benders from less that 140Eur. http://www.ebay.es/itm/PRENSA-HIDRAULICA-CURVADORA-DE-TUBOS-16T-H-/230941492834?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_186&hash=item35c52f8662

http://www.ebay.es/itm/PRENSA-HIDRAULICA-CURVADORA-DE-TUBOS-16T-DOBLADORA-/230941490335?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_186&hash=item35c52f7c9f

$(KGrHqZ,!h4FEzdNQ,4)BRN6YlyTCQ~~60_12.J

Bill, I will have a look to that UAZ...

I have been also searching info about Shogun/Pajero/Montero, as used in Screamer Eurotrialler. Lockers are only avalible for the V6 non-autobox units, with 28 spline halfshafts that are the size of the Rover 10 spline. Beeing a front diff I supose it will be reverse cut, as rear diff uses different r&p. So, not good for rear axle. Scrap parts + making frame + lockers will be close to Unimog 404 axle price, and will be not as beef. Lightness vs strenght, that´s the question. I certainly preffer strength.

Those UAZ were marketed in Spain as UAZ Martorelli in the late 80´s. I was then a nine years old child, so, can´t remember if they had portals like propper russian variant.

Searching for pics they don´t look like portals.

I have been also searching info about Shogun/Pajero/Montero, as used in Screamer Eurotrialler. Lockers are only avalible for the V6 non-autobox units, with 28 spline halfshafts that are the size of the Rover 10 spline. Beeing a front diff I supose it will be reverse cut, as rear diff uses different r&p. So, not good for rear axle. Scrap parts + making frame + lockers will be close to Unimog 404 axle price, and will be not as beef. Lightness vs strenght, that´s the question. I certainly preffer strength.

The diffs used in the screamer look like rear diffs from the Mk3 pajero/shogun, everyone i've seen has a locker and everything about them is massive 9.5" r&p

most about all of the Mk2 pajero imports have lockers in them as well, the rear Mk2 locking diff looks like a direct copy of an arb.

Maybe because of the little 3" drop they didn´t look like portals in pics I have seen.

UAZ3172_13.jpg

The UAZ469A portalled vehicles I saw in Vietnam had the same body/chassis as the regular 469's, were on leaf springs, and the front diffs were offset to the right hand side,and had bolt on swivel balls like a Landrover. The hub pinion gear and internally toothed ring gear weren't particularly large, but there appeared to be more teeth in mesh than on a typical 2 gear portal arrangement, so they are probably stronger than they appear at first glance.

The Russians we spoke to said they weren't particularly strong ("OK for swamp" was one verdict). A friend looked at importing a few as they are cheap, but they're not particularly well made and in Russian style you have to go through the parts bin to find a replacement part that is out of tolerance in sympathy with your axle's manufacturing defects.

Doesn't stop the Rusky 4x4's being as cool as a cucumber though, would love to import one as a toy but would probably have to throw the drivetrain away & replace with something locally grown.

This guy is running the mini-portals:

2007-06-02-06h24m27.jpg

And these are just cool:

2007-05-31-14h09m13.jpg

The Russians we spoke to said they weren't particularly strong ("OK for swamp" was one verdict). A friend looked at importing a few as they are cheap, but they're not particularly well made and in Russian style you have to go through the parts bin to find a replacement part that is out of tolerance in sympathy with your axle's manufacturing defects.

So, do they cut all the gear teeth by hand with a hacksaw? And instead of ending up with a gear with say 40 teeth, they occasionally come out with 39 .5 teeth, or 40 teeth all different sizes? :blink: