The "pass the bucket" crazy/dumb/idiot ideas/LR creations

o_teunico

what is your real intention? 6x6 disco? 8x8 disco? 4x4 saloon? disco with powered trailer?

what are you trying to make? is your best bet to know what you can build in spain?, then work around that? rather that throwing loads of 'interesting' ideas around and hope for the best? :blink::)

I want a nearly perfect (and road legal) vehicle. That really exists? 100" Tdi Disco chassis is good (and free for me!), 6x6 belly axle (or halftrack arrangement) will give it excellent ramp over/tranch crossing performance, wide Patrol/HDJ axles will make it more stable (and cheaper than HD CV/shafts for Rover axle), Viking winch is awesome, powered trailer will extend it´s carring capacity...but then the car wouldn´t fit under the bridge that is near my house.

A RR roof conversion is not allowed by local regulations :banned: . Full RR body swap could be done, but even with that in will reach the limit with intended suspension setup/tyre combo, so no room for exo cage or roof rack. Saloon car body swap will be road legal and make it 99.9% perfect! :i-m_so_happy:

Tomorrow I will see my brother. Among his fleet there is a red Fiat Uno that he is using as engine donnor for the Autobianchi (Lancia) Y10. Maybe I could add that red Uno body to the Discovery deal...with some make-up it could look quite similar to a Metro 6R4

p2031226pq.jpg

I remember the Jag, buid for dakar. I cant remember how far he got, but I dont think he finished. Still, a great effort. Speaking of great efforts, that saab on a range chassis, entered in a show and shine event is top notch...

Daan

My bro says no problem, I can grab my hands in the red Uno body :moglite:

Chassis rear overhang chopping is common in HGV´s. I hope to be allowed to do it in the Disco chassis as well.

Tomorrow I will go to my brother´s place for taking some measurements to the Uno body and Disco´s chassis. Spanish pedestrian friendly regulations bannes bulges in bonnet or parts of the engine protruding ala US muscle car, so I will lower overall height only if Uno´s top of bonnet to top of roof distance is smaller than Disco´s.

Meanwhile, a picture I took one year ago, where we can see a 135/80R13 tyre on Seat Ronda wheel (used in dad´s trailer), Disco´s 205R16 mud plugga remould and 109" 7.50R16 (32" overall)

p2250104pq.jpg

Not a cheap setup, but if I could modify chassis bent over axles and fit air shocks I will have a saloon car that could be converted to extreme 4x4 just by swapping tyres and touching a suspension switch in the dash :o

There's a chap at Beautiful Days festy every year that has a grey mini on an sj chassis. I think I saw it iin the background of "Kevin McCloud's Man Made Home" at some point. Also, there's a chap I know in Cornwall who has a habit of putting ford Popular bodies on old rangie chassis, although he lost the transfer box on those, and just went rwd. I'll see if I can find a pic of either.

the P5 belonged to the bloke in Buxton who always had a couple of land rovers with mazda SLT enines in them and for sale.

We went up there, for a mate to look at one of the mazda powered thingies and he showed us the P5.

I like the look of the MG[never thought I would say that].

Well, I have been measuring the Uno body...about 200mm lower than the Disco one, and it´s sills are less than one inch longer than those on the Disco body. Uno body will fit between Discos wheels. Problem is that I think that Tdi engine will not clear Uno´s angled bonnet. It will need a 4" lift to clear, but then it will be just as tall as a standard classic Rangie.

Air suspension will be quite troublesome. With a modified chassis, with more curves over axles, axle tube will crash into sump. Moving engine rearwards about 6" will give about 4" more drop. More drop will crash crankshaft pulley into axle. Move engine backwards another 6" and you could lower the car until crashing chassis with ground...but you will end with a very short rear propshaft.

Ideal body will be a short wheel base one, with a flat, or nearly flat bonnet...I have found a good donnor: the SEAT (FIAT) 850.

850e20medidas1.jpg

More than 600.000 were built in Spain between 1966 and 1974. Unfortunately only four hundred were 81" wheelbase four door models. Rest of four door models were built with 87" wheelbase.

It´s body is prepared for rear engine cooling and it has a 60 litre boot between rear seats and engine compartment, plus a shelf below rear window. Could be a nice project, but certainly not a cheap one.

If you want a "low" Discovery, just buy a classic Rangie.

Whenever you see someone using stainless steel in any sort of structural member (in this case suspension mounts) You know they have absolutely no clue what they are doing!

Though I will admit I'm not sure it's stainless, it doesn't say anywhere but sure looks a lot like it!

Furthermore, its just plain ugly.

And I don't get the idea, I like my Jaguar to handle exactly the way it does, but I like equally as much the way my Land Rovers handle, its horses for courses really, don't try to mix everything up just because you can..

Having owned a lot of oleopneumatic Citroens, I always fancied trying mounting coilspring spring platforms onto Citroen hydraulic struts.

Relatively simple to acheive a truck that handles as a standard coilsprung, but with adjustable corner heights to adjust ground pressure in the twisty bits, and/or several inches of (adjustable) very soft travel before the spring motion takes over.

Citroen struts don't really like water much, and I'll never have the time or energy to build one anyway, but I always thought it would be fun to play with.

I´m working in a full mechanical (no hydro/air) suspension idea that will enable 300mm (12") of riding height variation. The idea is to use -15cm setup with 205/65R16 van tyres for city/road, standard height for dry/light off roading along with 205R16 and +15cm for hard offroading, using 9.00R16s.

Photoshopped Discovery with standard size tyres and -15cm setting.

lrlowriderbobtail.jpg