The "pass the bucket" crazy/dumb/idiot ideas/LR creations

o_teunico

My idea is to use some Patrol Y60/61 axles. Rear one is 4 link. Will use LR´s A frame and the not used two Nissan upper links will go to front axle, along with moddified Disco II radious arms to create something similar to this.

1527A3AF-BB53-4785-858D-931DF0580458-599

I´m waiting for the engineer´s answer to see if chassis/suspension could be modified under the new road going car regulations.

I´m working in a full mechanical (no hydro/air) suspension idea that will enable 300mm (12") of riding height variation. The idea is to use -15cm setup with 205/65R16 van tyres for city/road, standard height for dry/light off roading along with 205R16 and +15cm for hard offroading, using 9.00R16s.

Photoshopped Discovery with standard size tyres and -15cm setting.

lrlowriderbobtail.jpg

As I am trying to get through the monumental red tape of my particular EU county that has the same hard line as yours and similarly does allow modifications as by means of an SVA type thing and I am almost 100% sure you could get approval on air suspension on a Disco 1 without the need to destruction test it!!

Now if your build could be built based on a model from an SVA(Portuguese equivalent?) What could your engineer recommend to get the bobtailing through? I think I am right in saying that body shell and chassis modifications may require a crash test, but it could depend on your local regs more than anything?

Personally I think by using as much original type equipment you stand the greatest chance to get through the scrutineering process, although you would not be able to use a complete front axle from a P38 the front mounts for the air bags and shocks would be genuine parts and the rear axle is not so different and could easily be adapted to air, this I think would be your easiest route, too heavily modified and you won't get road going approval without crash testing, which means you will be risking your only car on the modifications you make, keep it simple and you stand a chance!!

Without a doubt the chassis with the upside down "U" in it for the axle to go up into would deffo need crash test!! Not worth the risk of the complete car as once modded in that way and request approval it then may not be allowed to be reversed as it (in their eyes) will have significantly reduced structural integrity!

Have you access to any other scrap motors to see how far you could go before needing crash testing in your province?

For a "simple" air suspension, with no chassis moddifications, no crash-test is needed. You will need to provide the following data to the engineering company:

-Make and model

-Max operating pressure

-Max axle weight

-Piston size

-Air volume of the entire system

-Shock type

-Anti roll bar type

-Air line type

-Air bag description

-Drawing, pics and other relevant data.

Regulations say that the system MUST have some kind of mechanical or electronic self leveling device, that is, you cannot just fit some valves to the bags and pump them by hand. At least that was what regulations said back in 2004.

With plenty of P38 at scrapyards it could be possible to adpapt it´s suspension to the Disco, but it will be less reliable than coils.

The Discovery we have broke the timing in it´s original engine (four years ago). My brother saw some cracks in the head while overhauling. He bought a secondhand head. Then a friend told him that there was a good 200tdi complete engine in good condition in a garage in Portugal and he traded some cash and the seconhand head for that engine. After fitting engine in car, it refused to start. He started overhauling this second engine, but then he said he was fed up and left it as it is today. Some of the engine parts have dissapeared, like a new camshaft he bought.

Once I have a job my budget for the Disco will be something between 4000 to 6000 Eur. Despite beeing free, I have thought many times that it could be cheaper to buy a running Discovery (about 1500 Eur) than repairing my brother´s one (no engine, rotten body and lots of seized parts). If I go this route I could use my bros Disco as a test mule, and once I get crash test approval, addapt it´s moddifications to the running Discovery.

This is my bros Discovery. With sagging rear coils, some load and slightly aired down tyres, it´s pefectly leveled. Max height with this setup is exactly 1.9m.

p4161410pq.jpg

Rear axle to bump stop distance is 80mm. Without those inverted "U" in chassis I think that -50mm will be the maximum safe suspension drop I could get.

p4161442pq.jpg

Since I want an exocage+roof rack, a Rangie (nearly 150mm lower overal) will not solve anything.

This is the exocage (light bar) that I will fit. It´s from Tornado Motorsport. Cheap and very well made. Engineer said it´s OK because it´s rounded and stays close to body=pedestrian friendly. I could add a small roof rack over it while maintaining the same height as a standard Disco.

$T2eC16J,!)sE9swm(yUTBQdcvGnMZQ~~60_35.J

With some 205/65R16 tyres the whole car will lower another 30mm. Only the older parkings have less than 1.9m height limitation. Today most of them are arround 2.1m, so I think that I could live with a total -80mm if I´m not allowed to fit those "U". I will also save the engine relocation needed for the -150mm suspension.

My idea of mechanical height adjustable suspension is this

regulacionmecanica.jpg

This is the pic/drawing I have sent for evaluation to the engineering company. Original pic is from an aussie GQ with hidraulic bump stops.

The ram will enable extreme suspension drop, and the pin will set the riding height. You will need to jack the car for adjusting it, but since each position is related to one tyre size, and you jack the care for changing tyres, there will be no problem with this setup.

-City/Road: lowest position and 205/65R16

-Mild offroad: standard position and 205R16

-Extreme offroad: +150mm position and 9.00R16

I´m still waiting for the engineer´s response to see if this suspension, chassis and body (bobtail) mods will be possible to make road legal.

There is a much more discreet way of acheiving height adjustable suspension that involves very little in the way of chassis/axle modification.

A RangeRover/Disco coil spring measures some 6-7'' long when fully compressed. This is sufficient to fit most of a 6'' stroke hydraulic ram to the coil bucket ,concentric within the spring. The piston rod of the ram would push down on the spring via a specially made 'TopHat' shaped spring saddle. The front shock absorbers would need to bee relocated either for or aft of the springs as on air suspended Range Rovers. To keep things simple you could run a single hose to each ram via a single on /off valve so that the rams would be either fully extended for offroad travel or fully compressed for road work.You could even link the valve to the centre difflock control so the rams are fully compressed when CDL is disengaged.

More sophisticated valving would be required for variable height control and prevent cross linking fluid flow, which would upset handling.

Yes Bill, that´s my idea, but using a simple pin instead of hydraulic. I posted the picture of the GQ chassis because it was the closest thingto my idea that I have managed to take from the www.

I have at home some tubular double shock turrets (from Padddock) that will do the trick.

Some years ago I saw a Discovery (I think) in a LRE magazine that used some hydraulic rams to achieve a 8" lift. It could be lifted wheel by wheel.

There is an off-the-shelf system from KW, but it´s aimed for super low sprts cars and it will eat all my budget.

At 1min 20sec you see how it works

On my last truck but one, I used Electric Linear Actuators in a similar manor to what Bill describes to move the top spring hanger up & down. The height was controlled by simple switches & relays. It was not particularly fast at about 0.5mm / second - but it meant that the vehicle would fit in my garage!

turret1.jpg