Chassis Issues getting better

Simon_CSK

"I bought a Land Rover to make/save money"...... said nobody ever :P

CW

That is not strictly true......I have run Range Rovers and Land Rovers for the last 20 years. I have bought two brand new Freelanders an 05 model and an 57 model both HSE's. I do not know how much money I lost on the first bit the second cost me £35k and three years later I got £18k so I lost £17k in 3 years which is very nearly £6k per year and nothing to show for it.

The only advantage was that I knew if it broke down Land Rover would supply a replacement vehicle within an hour. Very useful when you drive a Land Rover!! :hysterical:

If I spend £6k on my vehicle this year and I get 3 years out of it I have saved £12k and I still have the car to sell at the end. What then if it breaks down well there is a further opportunity. I am looking for a P38 as a second car :hysterical:

Simon, that sounds like the sort of logic that I would use to try and persuade my wife something is a good idea! :hysterical:

CW when you are divorced :i-m_so_happy: and the wife wants child maintenance :o it is a good way to hide your income as she cannot see what went into the car. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Simon, that sounds like the sort of logic that I would use to try and persuade my wife something is a good idea! :hysterical:

CW

I have now gone and done it. Bought a P38 :o today in need of a new block :hysterical: which is fortunate as I have a great one in my old P38. Just need to get my Disco back so I can collect it.

You are just like me, if I had 3 non running cars I would go out and buy another broken one rather than a running one :) It's so easy to say .... I just have to swap the engine over, it won't take long :P

Yes that sounds about right!! Got it for a song even with the cost of hiring the trailer and the drive of 400 miles it is still a good price :hysterical:

Yes that sounds about right!! Got it for a song even with the cost of hiring the trailer and the drive of 400 miles it is still a good price :hysterical:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Stop joking about you two :glare:

I had a little look through the web pages for Discoveries this afternoon and then a quick tally up of spends so far and let me just say I could have bought a tidy late 300Tdi Discovery with lots of toys and current MOT for what I have spent on my project so far :(

But hey, it is much more fun to build it mend it and do it all your self :D:D:D

So when do you think it will be completed? Or is that not a priority :ph34r:

Having spent the last few hours flat on my back painting the underside of the Disco (not to mention most of my hair, the garage floor and numerous flies and spiders) with black chassis paint I am beginning to wonder if , just perhaps, my sanity is exiting stage left. But, I know that when I get up in the morning to give it all a second coat I will have an inane grin all over my smug mush!

My wife is getting extremely worried as in the not too distant future I will have all three land rovers and her Mini back on the road, Why is she worried I quote "just what the bloody hell are you gonna do with your spare time? more importantly how many wheels will it have and how much is it gonna cost?"

I fear she may have a point as I have recently been told of a Stalwart that may be looking for a good home......

Having spent the last few hours flat on my back painting the underside of the Disco (not to mention most of my hair, the garage floor and numerous flies and spiders) with black chassis paint I am beginning to wonder if , just perhaps, my sanity is exiting stage left. But, I know that when I get up in the morning to give it all a second coat I will have an inane grin all over my smug mush!

My wife is getting extremely worried as in the not too distant future I will have all three land rovers and her Mini back on the road, Why is she worried I quote "just what the bloody hell are you gonna do with your spare time? more importantly how many wheels will it have and how much is it gonna cost?"

I fear she may have a point as I have recently been told of a Stalwart that may be looking for a good home......

Jeff

You can always have a go at my CSK that just needs a new body shell. :hysterical:

Jeff

You can always have a go at my CSK that just needs a new body shell. :hysterical:

The amount of fabrication that my Disco has taken to get back together, i reckon building a shell from scratch wouldn't actually......no no I don't want to go there, nurse I've run out of medication.

You CAN make money out of land rivers, my first disco was a 300, paid 250 as a non runner, spent 600 on it and sold for 1300, current disco is a 300 bought for 250 with a knackard head, found a good 2nd hand one on here for 100 quid, with new bolts, gasket set etc, total cost of car was 410, and the chassis is solid! Shame the same can't be said about the boot floor though.........

Getting Disco back tomorrow if the handbrake cable arrives. The garage are saying the brakes are not great and will need bedding in what views? It is new pads, calipers and discs.

I,ve had both and would not want one again, gone back to a classic with a 300tdi, simple and good mpg. Which can,t be said for the TD5 or the P38.

Best of luck anyway and nice work but I think I would have just broke the td5 and got rid off off one.

I,ve had both and would not want one again, gone back to a classic with a 300tdi, simple and good mpg. Which can,t be said for the TD5 or the P38.

Best of luck anyway and nice work but I think I would have just broke the td5 and got rid off off one.

I have had Freelander 1 & 2, Classic RR's. P38's and this Disco. I still have my CSK and my Disco and am getting the P38. Love all three when they go properly.

Just bought a DII after months of searching for one that my car keys didn't go straight through the chassis of when inspecting with a view to buying.. Why on earth they didn't just build them on a galv chassis I can't even start to think. This one off is ok & will have the Royal waxoyl treatment as soon as the monsoon season is over..bits of bodywork need some tlc too..but for £3k I'm a happy ted! Off to Harrogate this weekend to look for shiny toys! :-)

I bought a Defender 300tdi 2 years ago for £1500 off a local farmer..& sold it as an MOT failure in December last year..it was in need of some chassis welding & steering box..I put it on flea-bay with an honest ad & watched in astonishment as it was bid up to over £3k! Just re-invested the £3k in a Disco TD5 to keep my other half happy..something about comfort..??..I didn't really understand..??..;-)

I bought a Defender 300tdi 2 years ago for £1500 off a local farmer..& sold it as an MOT failure in December last year..it was in need of some chassis welding & steering box..I put it on flea-bay with an honest ad & watched in astonishment as it was bid up to over £3k! Just re-invested the £3k in a Disco TD5 to keep my other half happy..something about comfort..??..I didn't really understand..??..;-)

As much as I like the utility of a Defender I do like my home comforts and love the P38 it was a real luxury motor and am looking forward to collecting it next week. The Disco as you can see from this tread has a nice new galvie chassis and lot and lots of other nice new bits. Have added front and rear HD power points for the winch receiver hitch front and rear and spot lights. Am really looking forward to play time. :hysterical:

I will keep the Range Rover as a back up for when the Disco breaks down and to use when I go out. :i-m_so_happy:

It is very punishing particularly on the wallet certainly not worth it on a value basis but everything on the chassis will be virtually new.

I see it another way. While replacing the chassis and all the associated other parts and labour involved will not make the car worth on resale what you spend on it, it will give you a car which will last you a very long time indeed. £10k would provide for a pretty thorough rebuild, including the new chassis, a full overhaul of engine and transmission, a sound tidy up of the body and interior and of all the vehicle subsystems. What would you get for £10k if you were shopping around? Nothing that will last you another 30 years, and nothing that doesn't already have problems... In my books, that makes expensive rebuilds very worthwhile and good value. The important thing is to get an agreed value insurance, just in case it gets stolen or wrecked.

I see it another way. While replacing the chassis and all the associated other parts and labour involved will not make the car worth on resale what you spend on it, it will give you a car which will last you a very long time indeed. £10k would provide for a pretty thorough rebuild, including the new chassis, a full overhaul of engine and transmission, a sound tidy up of the body and interior and of all the vehicle subsystems. What would you get for £10k if you were shopping around? Nothing that will last you another 30 years, and nothing that doesn't already have problems... In my books, that makes expensive rebuilds very worthwhile and good value. The important thing is to get an agreed value insurance, just in case it gets stolen or wrecked.

Snaggers

Yes I get your point and certainly £10k spent would do a detailed job. Have spent about half of that and only replaced the chassis with new brakes and suspension. At the end of the day most people will only pay a certain range for any vehicle. There is a top end and a bottom end no matter what you do to it. In my case it is a 2001 Discovery. To me the work is valuable and means I can keep the car for 3 to 5 years but that does not make it worth the value I have invested in it if I was to sell it on.