Mercedes om606 engine

Mmmmm...interesting this engine...if I go the OM606 route with my bros broken engine Discovery Tdi I could use some badges from a SEAT/FIAT 131 wich were equipped with MB diesel engine

6028769.jpg

Will look like factory fitted :hysterical:

I what car are you planning to use it? It´s for the Jeep?

If you can make a diesel drive like a petrol I will convert. I drive diesels every day of all types and it doesn't matter what the figures are on paper none are enjoyable to drive. You just spend your time either waiting for the turbo or snatching for the next gear. OK the twin turbos are better but not in my scope :)

Out of interest has anyone ever supercharged one?

Nice to see how you finance your builds :) That engine is looking a positive bargain!

I try to make my hobbies self financing.

With a bit of patience and research most second hand component can be bought in a similar way.

And I still have a few of the ancilliaries to sell off the merc enginge.

If you can make a diesel drive like a petrol I will convert. I drive diesels every day of all types and it doesn't matter what the figures are on paper none are enjoyable to drive. You just spend your time either waiting for the turbo or snatching for the next gear. OK the twin turbos are better but not in my scope :)

Out of interest has anyone ever supercharged one?

I have 2 x V8 petrol Land Rovers and a 320d BMW and a 118 before that. The 1 Series BMW used to hang the back out on bends even at an equivalent of an 1800 engine. Both of them drive exactly like petrols unless you get caught off turbo.

I used to hate Diesels until now. Trouble is with the videos is I could not live with all the black smoke.

Marc.

I am a committed petrol head, owner of multiple V8-engined vehicles, and love 'em.

I had occasion to have a rental car last week for a work trip, a 62 reg Golf 2 litre Tdi. Now I don't drive a diesel very often, but I must say that I was mighty impressed with the ooomph the Golf has, even from very low rpm. Cabin noise levels at motorway speeds were very subdued, partly down to good insulation I suppose, but also due to the engine speeds in 6th gear being very low <2000 rpm.

Illegal speeds could have been easily exceeded VERY quickly ;)

Waiting with interest to see what Dan does to this Merc lump

I had a blat in an Alfa 147 1.9JTD, and that went like the clappers, and were I a less responsible individual, I'm sure I'd have found myself doing 120 with very little trouble ;)

I thrashed it up and down somerset's highways, byways and motorways, and it did 55mpg!!! If it was a little prettier, I'd be tempted by one.

A fiend of mine re-engined a stacked-headlight merc with a lightly tweeked 606, and that was really rather rapid. This thing sounds like it'll tear your doors off!

I have 2 x V8 petrol Land Rovers and a 320d BMW and a 118 before that. The 1 Series BMW used to hang the back out on bends even at an equivalent of an 1800 engine. Both of them drive exactly like petrols unless you get caught off turbo.

I used to hate Diesels until now. Trouble is with the videos is I could not live with all the black smoke.

Marc.

118d/320d is (I believe) the M47 engine from the TD4 FL, but minus the VNT. The TD4's are very lovely as diseasals go, I have a vapour-project on my mind to put one in an Elise or MGF as a commuter hack - but all the time the Freebie is running there's no point.

Interesting comment about lack of dyno info below 2000rpm, I had this experience when I looked at RB26DETT lumps for the 109, it turned out that despite making spanking numbers from ~1750rpm upwards they made naff all off idle, and trundling round lugging a LR about off-road would probably kick the ar$e out of the big ends in short order. The Skyline Owners forum actually voted that the RV8 was quite hard to beat in that respect despite being a dinosaur with quite low numbers by modern standards.

I am going a similar route with a M57 , still driving the 530D at the moment , but have the V8 out of the 110 now . Torque from go is the one thing that is a bit of a concern . although some figures for the M57 show max torque from as little as 1500rpm in some applications . The RV8 was always nice as you could engage the

clutch and then bring in the torque , with the diesels you needed to get torque building and bring in the clutch after , not good for clutch life !!

The version is the simpler one with 1 turbo , but will be staying with the electronics to try and get a reasonable fuel economy , its averaging 45 to 51 at the moment depending on usage . Its about the same length as the 606 and supposed to be a tad lighter than a 300tdi !

I am going a similar route with a M57 , still driving the 530D at the moment , but have the V8 out of the 110 now . Torque from go is the one thing that is a bit of a concern . although some figures for the M57 show max torque from as little as 1500rpm in some applications . The RV8 was always nice as you could engage the

clutch and then bring in the torque , with the diesels you needed to get torque building and bring in the clutch after , not good for clutch life !!

The version is the simpler one with 1 turbo , but will be staying with the electronics to try and get a reasonable fuel economy , its averaging 45 to 51 at the moment depending on usage . Its about the same length as the 606 and supposed to be a tad lighter than a 300tdi !

I weighed my M57 as the same (within 5KG) as a 200 TDI. Just need to finish the blooody project........

Marc.

They are running the antique Bosch P pump and at the fueling they are running at they don't de-fuel off boost overly well, this combined with the large singles and their inherent lag gives the smoke.

I have fully stripped mine today, amongst other things I found the reason for its slightly poor running the second hand injection pump had been fitted 8° advanced over where it should have been.

I've got a couple of snapped studs for the exhaust manifold and one of the glow plugs is very tight.

I've offered up a Ve pump off a Cummins 6bt and its doable,

first things on the to do list are a remote oil filter adapter and a exhaust manifold flange.

Dan, why not use the proven 603 pump, its freelyish available and is direct fitment?

Get elements out an old transit 2.5 and your good for a fair amount of power.

Or so I gather!

A few reasons,

when have I ever followed the well trodden path?

And I think the Ve will allow a better tune with less fuel off boost, simply fitting larger elements to the 603 pump is not an easy fix, the majority of the power upgrades to be had are from rack modification, delivery valves and other internal mods, a sorted 500hp pump runs at around €1200 my solution should cut in around the £800 mark

One encouraging thing is that reading what guys in the states are doing with the 6bt, they say that when they upgrade to a p pump to exceed 600hp they notice a significant decrease in throttle response.

This I nice from two perspectives 1) the 6bt Ve will support 600hp (super cheap off eBay) 2) the throttle response from the 606 fitted as standard with a p pump is very good, how sharp will it be on a Ve?

A bit OT but a merc like that here will fetch and sell top euros, and imported from the UK!! Its just sad that we cannot have opportunities like the ones you guys get in the UK. I am off to sob in a corner..................

Carry on, very intrigued with the conversion, i just love powerful diesels! would love to put one instead of the 200...........

G

A bit OT but a merc like that here will fetch and sell top euros, and imported from the UK!! Its just sad that we cannot have opportunities like the ones you guys get in the UK. I am off to sob in a corner..................

Carry on, very intrigued with the conversion, i just love powerful diesels! would love to put one instead of the 200...........

G

You can have our opportunities if we can have your weather ;)

interesting reading gents!
14mm VE pump will support 650hp in a 12v 5.9 cummins so it should be plenty for a merc lump!

the one youve got will be a 12mm pump and somewhere between 130-180hp rating (on the 6BT)
would be interesting so see this in standard tune running a 606 with a set of injectors and a meaty VNT/VGT!

couple of pointers... the pump will be governed at 2500rpm therefore you need a spring kit in the pump to bring the revs up.
if you want it to rev up to similar speeds that a TDi does then a cheap fix would be to put TDi springs in the Cummins pump.

also id recommend a fuel pin to anybody running a VE pump, it drops the on-boost fuelling on nicely and allows more fueling to be reached, complimenting a set of injectors nicely!