Mercedes om606 engine

• 1 month later...

Not really much progress at all, i've made a blanking plate for the block so I can use a remote oil filter.

And I've cut some exhaust manifold flanges.

That's about it really, I have though bought a chunk of aluminum to make my pump adapter out of, but I've not even begun to draw it!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Are these all auto ?

I can't see any manuals on auto trader or eBay,

I guess the auto would be electronic and will add a lot of complexity,

The manual would be much easier but it may be too long for a 90 if run divorced / remote,

Dave

Only the early non turbo cars got a manual option with 606.

Lots of options too run the 722.6 electrionic auto box stand alone as there also used in gm Chrysler vehicles on the US.

I bought a stand alone plug and play ecu to run one in a G Wagen from a guy in Denmark for around €500 new, very similar too compushift.

Are these all auto ?

The manual would be much easier but it may be too long for a 90 if run divorced / remote,

Dave

some very early N/A where manual but the gearboxes are gunk and very rare, all turbo models were auto and well most 606s were auto due to torque they kick out as standard 350nm haha

but dont fret there are manual gearbox that bolt up, they come from a C220cdi around 2000+ not sure on cut of date but are 6 speed, they are very strong will stick behind a 400hp and 800nm no problems, also some Sprinter gearboxs fit but are 5 speed when i was looking, they are on cable gear selecters mounted on the side of the box if that would help you, strength is un-known to me

the c220cdi box can be picked up fairly cheap, i payed £300 delivered for my low mileage box off ebay

Two down points are, the c220s are all due mass and im not sure if there clutch, flywheel combo bolt up to the 606 or how strong they are but if you've come this far i think making a flywheel and clutch

combo should be fairly easy, if i remember correctly the in-put spline is 1 on 23 or 24 cant quite remember will look next time im down there, but Quarter master do the right plates

the slave is internal and built into the throw out bearing but failry cheap to pick up or again convert to a quarter master one or something if you fancy, i haven't ran the stock part against a uprated high pressure plate but im sure they would be fine

My 6 speed is 21" from bell-housing to the out put flange i didnt get a max diameter but they are alot smaller than a lt77 so will fit a land rover tunnel no problems

here is one i quickly pulled from ebay pretty expensive but first one i came across

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-C-CLASS-C220-CDI-DIESEL-ONLY-71-000-MILES-6-SPEED-MANUAL-GEARBOX-/350901202628?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item51b3576ec4

and getting the auto box to run out the car would be a night mare i guess unless your are a proper programming geek, as it talks to eveything on the car and i imagine it wouldnt like being on its own

it has been done thou, black smoke racing run the newer merc gearbox's with a manual shifter not sure whos electronic controller it is but reliability has been some what lacking but then they are 500hp plus so swings and round abouts, and are now changing to some big ass manual gearbox to handle the torque

• 3 weeks later...

For the people who want to put the om606 in a landrover/rangerover/disco

Its quite easy.

There is a conversion kit available for about 700 quid. It comes with conversion plate. Engine mounts and exhaust. It's available for Manuel and auto.

If you go Manuel you will need a flywheel from a e300td with om603 engine. clutch pressure plate for a mercedes and Mitsubishi friction plate. I have all part numbers. They go on the v8 gearboxes.

The turbo has to have the turbo actuator changed from vacuum to boost. Or depending on the hp wanted an holset turbo

The fuel pump you need from either a om603 turbo or om606 non turbo both these pumps are mechanical. If you want more power you can have the 6mm elements fitted

From the original pump to your mechanical pump. Or even bigger

And that's about it to get it running

Are these all auto ?

Dave[/quot

Dave, would one of your autoboxes be ok with the hp and torque from this engine in a challenge buggy

The fuel pump you need from either a om603 turbo or om606 non turbo both these pumps are mechanical.

Just to point out for anyone looking for a pump the 606 non turbo only has a mechanical pump in a w124 and these are quite rare having only been produced from 93 to 95 and are also the most desirable pump rs 203 having a bigger camshaft and bearings.

All w210 from 95 on (twin headlight model) non turbo or turbo are ecu controlled.

So based on the information about the adapter plates... I'm guessing that if I wanted to retrofit the OM606 into my 200tdi 110 I'd need to find a V8 gearbox or auto box to do so, or would that adapter kit match up to the existing LT77? I'm aware that the LT77 would be almost at its limit regarding torque and power but I'd be looking at keeping the stock power and torque of the OM606 and hopefully the LT77 might suffice.

Also, are the engine mounts the same for the 200tdi as the V8 or am I looking at chopping and welding the chassis?

Thanks

Mat

Hi not sure on the mounts. You will need a v8 Box. If anyone's interested I have the clutch parts brand New ready. Which . Will sell at what they cost me. I also Work for Mercedes main dealer so can help people out if they need parts

I would very very much doubt at lt77 will last behind a 6 cylinder diesel with over 350nm from very low down, trouble is 6 cylinder diesels and up are very hard on gearboxes due to the amount of power strokes per rotation there like jack Hammers basically,

a R380 stands a better chance but I still wouldn't relax with that combo in my truck

I would be looking for stronger gearboxes, do it right do it once

Like you say... When I do it, I'll do it right once. Autobox from V8 disco and have the car I actually want! The main issue I think I'd have would be the mounts, and whether they'll all line up... I don't fancy chopping and grinding the galvanized chassis. Anyone any wiser on 200 tdi LT77 mount positions vs V8?