Mercedes om606 engine

• 1 month later...

I wonder how long the autobox will live with the torque of the 606

As long as you keep the OM606 standard it has a bit les power and torque than a standard 3.9/4.0 V8... A standard 4hp22 would live well behind a OM606 in standard shape so far I can see...

Awesome thread and a lot of info. I am currently trying to squeeze in a M111 Mercedes petrol engine in my series 150Hp & 220Nm (not so impressive number with regards to a diesel but enough for my series with an LT77). The reason why I am replying is it uses the same bell housing patter as the OM603 and derivates. I already have an adapter plate to a LT77, so if anyone needs one I could try and let it copy in auto cad so you can have it fabbed up locally.

Cheers,

Bowy

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone on the forum running an OM606 with a mechanical OM603 pump that hasn't been modified? What's the performance like?

I was going to upgrade the pump to 6mm elements but the UK supplier now says he can only supply 7.5mm at a whopping £895 so I'm having second thoughts. This is way more power than I need for my application and I don't want to blow the gearbox apart or start buying modified clutches at £900.

Also what has to be done to the turbo if you are running it as mechanical?

Thanks,

Is anyone on the forum running an OM606 with a mechanical OM603 pump that hasn't been modified? What's the performance like?

I was going to upgrade the pump to 6mm elements but the UK supplier now says he can only supply 7.5mm at a whopping £895 so I'm having second thoughts. This is way more power than I need for my application and I don't want to blow the gearbox apart or start buying modified clutches at £900.

Also what has to be done to the turbo if you are running it as mechanical?

Thanks,

I will be using 6mm elements out the EDC pump fitted to a mechanical om606 pump. Apparently with this setup with standard turbo youre good for 250bhp... i think.

I'm going to be running the GazFab conversion plate to zf4hp22 autobox, so i dont really want any more than 250bhp for the time being.

My conversion kit should arrive this week, engine can be fitted any time soon, mechanical pump and locking tool has arrived. Just need to have the elements swapped and can start to get it all bolted up.

An OM606 with a 603 pump not modified will only give between 185nm to 310nm depending on the pump purchased.

An R380 is so named because it will take 380nm of torque before it gives up, an LT95 will take 400nm+ so there are manuals that will work well behind even a tweaked OM606.

Yep Gaz Fab is intending to do a manual conversion but hasn't done one yet, I ordered mine from SMT.

DirtyNinety who's doing your element swap and how much? Any chance of borrowing your timing tool when your done please :) ?

Does anyone know what needs to be done to the turbo or what actuator to buy?

Does anyone know the timing tool part code as well? I think it should be 0 986 612 174 but I'm struggling to find one :(