Mercedes om606 engine

I have a non-turbo OM606 and have added a small Garret turbo (TB25) which it needed. This was off ebay as specified for a Ssangyong Musso OM602 motor. I used an exhaust manifold from a factory OM606 turbo motor.

But it also needed the 6mm elements.

I had my pump modified with the larger elements by dieselmeken in Sweden - made a huge difference (not just the elements - he is a wizard)

Very happy with the power now.

The non-turbo motor has the required piston oil squirters but the piston rods are not as heavy duty.

I am assuming its strong enough for a low boost (12PSI) turbo.

I am having some dramas getting the piping between the turbo and crossover pipe to seal well, without any boost loss.

I am not using an intercooler.

Ashcroft states that the "big" torque converter is soon needed, i.e. for the 2,8TGV engine.

The OM606 has much more potential so I guess the big TC is mandatory... the big one needs 15mm extra space in the bellhousing... The 3.9 autobox has the "medium"-size TC so I am wondering it will do. Also because the lock-up clutch from the "medium" one is not that strong.

So far I can see one need a 15mm thicker adapterplate to have enough space in a standard ZF-bellhousing (or a difficult to obtain early 4,6 bellhousing).

But still.. if the OM606 stays quite standard I expect the 3.9 autobox wil do :-)

I had the sump modified for my W460 G-wagen since the motor came from a 300E W210 sedan.

The OM606A was a factory engine in the later G300 G-wagen with a different sump to the E300.

However the G300 sump is very rare and expensive.

• Like 1

Yes... I understand.. but how about my question.. :-)

Dry sump?

It is perfectly possible to cut and weld a sump and it be leak free, ok, I have not yet managed one and farmed the last one out after 3 failed attempts but others succeeded ;)

Endless possibilities my friend :D

thinking out loud....

Maybe cutting off the bulge en moving it backwards will do the job:

the oil pickup pipe has possibly to be extended (or maybe not :blink:, would be nice) and in the oil pump area the sump has only to cover and just clear the pump. This gives some extra room underneath...

In the end this possibly gives the enough clearance and there is no need to search and pay(!) for extra hard to obtain parts. :)

Depends what you're doing with the vehicle really?

I can't see a rear sump being that hard to alter an adapter ring for (drill some extra holes in the appropriate places) and it probably helps make things look a bit neater? It hinges on how much money you have to spend I suppose.

@ Soren: I agree.

The vertical parts from the mounts has to cover the whole hight of the chassis beam: now the vertical wall off the mainbeam is going to flex under the load during driving (and for sure while off-roading!!).