Mercedes om606 engine

daslandroverman

How about a donation and you can have a copy :)

hector-boy

The guy at SMT is super helpful he made a kit up for me so I got:

The adapter ring to a V8 gearbox

Engine mounts to adapt V8 to OM606 (You still need 2 x rubber mounts part code: 1072410913)

Flywheel

Starter ring

Adapter from OM606 to starter ring and flywheel

I don't have the part code for the clutch plate handy but yes it is from a Mitsubishi L200 I think. I'll find it and post it if your interested.

I am having some concerns about the clutch at the moment, this is the clutch that fits the flywheel and clutch plate: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271811008477?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT however having looked into this it is only suitable for a maximum engine torque of 270NM. I'm a bit worried that as my pump has been tweaked to 260hp the torque is going to be more than a standard OM606 at 180HP and 330NM. But I'm struggling to find a performance clutch that will fit the flywheel.

The issue is the flywheel is only 300mm to clear the nose of the starter motor in the bell housing otherwise I'd just machine the flywheel and put something bigger on it, some people have mentioned using a single mass flywheel for a sprinter but having looked into this it's 380mm diameter so I doubt this will work but I may order one just to check.

I also looked into a customer flywheel from Rakeway but this seemed quite expensive. I may have no choice but will keep looking for a solution.

I have tried asking for solutions on the forum but no one has replied so I guess most people go auto or don't use a Land Rover gearbox.

You may well be right but the R380 will take 380NM (Obviously) but there are people who have run more through them and they've survived, for how long may well be a different matter.

Ashcrofts can make it stronger if necessary!

But hey it's all part of the fun, if it chews R380s in quick time they are at least cheap to replace and are available everywhere.

Defender.

Thanks again for your experience with the om606/r380 setup.

My engine will not be much more than standard. Gearbox and drive shaft being the limiting factor.

More to think about. Every time I think I have covered all the angles in relation to gearbox,a new element to the equation is presented.

All part of the fun.

Thanks.

Hb

Been reading this thread on and off as it has developed over the months/years.....

Bought a rough E300...ran it for a bit...was running a JE 4.6 in my disco aswell that was fantastic, but damn thirsty.

The answer seemed obvious.....combine the two.

V8 sold and pump, gaz fab adapter bought and crack on.

All done myself (it's the line of work I'm in) and after 1000miles I'm happy!

WP_20151024_003.jpg

• Like 1

Been reading this thread on and off as it has developed over the months/years.....

Bought a rough E300...ran it for a bit...was running a JE 4.6 in my disco aswell that was fantastic, but damn thirsty.

The answer seemed obvious.....combine the two.

V8 sold and pump, gaz fab adapter bought and crack on.

All done myself (it's the line of work I'm in) and after 1000miles I'm happy!

WP_20151024_003.jpg

Come on man more info pictures how does it drive what kind of mpg a video something morrrre please

Thanks for the kind words!

Running the standard turbo albeit with a transit actuator, transit intercooler and a dieselmeken/dpuk special 7.5mm pump.... boost set at 1.2bar

It feels similar to the 4.6 in terms of hp (260-270 JE, stage 2 heads, viper cyclone cam, 10.35 compression, tubular manifolds and TVR Chimaera 450 ecu)

but the torque once on boost is superior....Luke at DPUK advised that at 1.4bar on a standard turbo with the pump I have it's a reliable 300bhp/400ft/lbs

Clearly too much for the poor old 4HP22....but the fact is you have control on this both via the setup and right foot!

I see this as an interim setup....I had accumulated many of the bits and had the 'perfect' conversion in mind, but this requires so much more effort as your doing both a transmission and engine conversion. Dwell on all the details; big turbo? will it take the power? etc etc etc and soon your overfaced and overbudget - it's natural I know to want everything bang on first time, but I needed it back on the road! And lets be realistic, given a tdi is say 111hp and td5 130 ish std....even a 'mild' 606 trumps them at a power/torque level that a 4hp22 can live with...so a compromise to prove concept.

I too am working on using an ML270 box, but plan to have an adapter that will suit the 654 6 speed merc manual and 722.6 auto...a few ml270's were manual

so...what else?

err...mpg? early days yet as i've been towing and scaring old people and children....but driven 'normally' mid 20's, I imagine a manual or 722.6 with better lockup/bigger tc would get closer to 30

so more than double the old v8 and the same power/character

problems?

vacuum stop is proving a challenge....having tried three different 3port valves, they keep overheating on long trips and then creeping open = stopped engine. But then the beauty of it then is, just remove and bung the pipe and you're away. I'm going to plumb it the other way and provide a momentary stop button, maybe using a defunct dash button! I have the vac line inside with a clamp on it that I can loosen to stop the engine for now! I'm open and grateful for suggestions for a better solenoid!

O/S engine mount a bit close to the diff....trimmable tho!

Aux belt just a bit close to the top hose....it's a good 15mm off when not running, but occasionally catches (protective rubber for now) I'll look at adding an idler to move that top run down....

I'll bung a few more pics up....probably quicker than my ramblings!

• Like 1

WP_20151009_002.jpg

bit earlier, only tacked on....but show the merc mounts - they're big fluid filled jobbies. After having a series 2a with a 200tdi that shook my teeth out on std 2.25 bobbin mounts I was determined to keep some refinement....

you can see that I can easily trim the O/S chassis mount to acheive acceptable clearance.....I have defender bump stops and it's almost clear now. With a lift/extended bump stops there would be no probs...

WP_20151005_003.jpg

606 dipsticktube hole blanked off...loctited too I might add!

WP_20151005_005.jpg

648 pickup, I had adapted the windage tray from the 606 to fit, but later removed it as so much would be removed to clear ribs in the 648 sump it would've been useless....this is somthing I'd spend some more time on possibly as it does breathe a bit, but having spoke to STD people they say 'they all do that sir' so am sucking it and seeing!

WP_20151005_007.jpg

648 sump - from a W211 e320cdi - NOT s320cdi and w210 e320cdi (also om648, but still from well sump...)