Mercedes om606 engine

• 2 months later...

Bringing this thread back up again, I'm just starting out on putting an om606 into a Range Rover classic. I'm going the R380 route, I don't want an auto. I'm aware of the R380 shortcomings but I'm not going for crazy power, it's a daily driver and I want to keep some economy. I see a few folks have used the SMT adaptor, I was looking at making my own if I can lay my hands on a drawing of the r380 bellhousing to save me drawing it myself. My first question is why do all the adapters seem to use the v8 bellhousing? Is this because it fits better than the 300tdi or is there some other reason? I ask as I have an r380 and lt230 from a disco 300tdi already (I was going 300tdi but can't bring myself to fit something so heavy with so little power!!)

It may be because the OM606 is quite a Rev happy engine.... The valving in the v8 box might suit it better?

Mmmm... Valving in a manual gearbox?? I think you are talking about the gear ratios.. :-)

The V8 version from the R380 is actualy lowerreving than the Tdi version. First & fifth gear have higher ratios on the diesel versions, so with same speed in first and fifth the diesels rev more than the V8's. ;-)

That was my thinking Carloz. I don't mind making my own adaptor but I don't want to reinvent the wheel when there are at least two available off the shelf, but both are for v8 bellhousings. I'm guessing it's more popular to be converting v8 auto vehicles but surely I'm not the only one changing a tdi for the om606?

I don't see why you couldn't make an adapter ring that suited the Tdi box, you could probably make a Tdi flywheel fit the Merc with a little massaging (there's about 2mm difference in PCD, making the holes slightly oval with a mill would sort that) and a Merc ring gear to suit the starter motor.

Ratios aren't that far different between the manual V8 and Tdi boxes, although I can see at least 2 reasons to use the V8 autobox.

First off the Merc lump was designed to work with a petrol type autobox with a decent Redline with a similar torque curve to a petrol V8, whilst the V8 boxes also have a larger torque converter with a bigger lockup clutch.

An adapter made to use the 9.5 inch Tdi clutch and fit the diesel box would be a good fitment.

On the om606 I fitted previously (different vehicle) I used a sprinter dual mass delete flywheel and sprinter clutch, with c220cdi 6 speed box. Don't want to go to the hassle of divorced transfer if I don't have to though. I'm not planning on much over 200hp which I'm guessing will be around 350nm of torque so the r380 should hack it ok if rebuilt.

Re. Auto boxes I'm just not a big fan of them. Probably makes more sense to use one in many ways bug I just don't want one.

I guess the other manual box options are the ML boxes and adapt the lt230 to suit (needs double ended splined shard making so not a cheap option once heat treated etc), or ssangyong bellhousing and Borg Warner t5 or tremec and divorced transfer. I think the R380 ought to work though and is less engineering and very well supported parts wise. (The company that machined most of its internals are only a few miles away from me in coventry!)

Will investigate that very soon! I'm pretty sure the long one will be ok. (That's using disco 1/ rrc soft dash gearbox crossmember) I had a very very rough measure and any further back will put the engine into the bulkhead. Will need a little unboltable section in scuttle part of bulkhead anyway to access oil filter lid, or remote filter but I'm going for the hatch! The bellhousing skirt on the om606 block is very short, doesn't have the adaptor like a tdi, and even allowing for the machined plate added in there will still sit closer than tdi would

Mmmm... Valving in a manual gearbox?? I think you are talking about the gear ratios.. :-)

The V8 version from the R380 is actualy lowerreving than the Tdi version. First & fifth gear have higher ratios on the diesel versions, so with same speed in first and fifth the diesels rev more than the V8's. ;-)

Apologies! I read it as wanting an auto!

I would to do the same eventually. The only problem that has come up is that the tdi r380 bell housing is rather long which might push the engine to far forward. So a stumpy r380 might be better.

If you use a stumpy one cilinder 6 ends up somewhere in the heater! :-D

With the normal length V8 R380 the 606 will be in the same location as it would be with a autobox.

I can imagine when you use adaptorplate from GAZFAB or the like, ment for an V8 autobox, all will bolt together also (belhousing/engine wise). In that case clutch story still needs to be written off course.

Yep. I have just bought a bosch m pump to convert the om606 to mechanical control. The pump to go for is from either the 3.0 or 3.5 litre turbo om603. Downside is they are rare in the uk. The w140 s class used the 3.5 turbo om603 for a while and they sold a fair few on the continent (but almost none in the uk). That's what the pump I have bought is from. The 12v om603 in that form was around 150hp and 310nm torque. The 24v om606 will make more on the same amount of fuel, and the pump has some extra margin on the stock plungers before it needs them changing. Should make a little over 200hp and 350nm on stock pump

If you use a stumpy one cilinder 6 ends up somewhere in the heater! :-D With the normal length V8 R380 the 606 will be in the same location as it would be with a autobox. I can imagine when you use adaptorplate from GAZFAB or the like, ment for an V8 autobox, all will bolt together also (belhousing/engine wise). In that case clutch story still needs to be written off course.

I remembered that we're on about fitting a 606 into a range Rover. I've been looking at fitting one into my defender where a stumpy would be better.

• 1 month later...

I had the sump modified for my W460 G-wagen since the motor came from a 300E W210 sedan.

The OM606A was a factory engine in the later G300 G-wagen with a different sump to the E300.

However the G300 sump is very rare and expensive.

Just wanted to resurrect this and post an FYI:

Below screenshots are for future reference for others planning on swaps - they come from EPC for OM606A and OM648LA

There are 3 sump variants on the 4 OM606 engines ( OM606.910/912, OM606.961/962/964 D30 LA) for OM648LA there are 2 variations, I have only included the rear sump version

Be aware that there are also sumps from OM603, M103 & M104 that can be adapted to fit as well, with some modification.

This provides for an even wider variation of available sumps - including low mount and side pan variations.

The important thing to note for OM648, is that only the engine as fitted to w211 (e class) e320cdi is the rear sump version. If you obtained one from a W220 (S class) then it will be front mount just like the rest of them.

For a Land Rover project, The best candidate is likely to be the OM648 sump and oil pump, along with the modification of the rear bellhousing flange to accept the OM603/606 transmission bolt pattern (which incidentally is the same as M102/3/4/111 and OM602/3/5/6)

post-104901-0-19586700-1471386690_thumb.jpg

post-104901-0-42019600-1471386711_thumb.jpg

post-104901-0-86921000-1471392527_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I think i said this before, but i have reverse engineered the Om648 oil sensor, i can read it with an Arduino processor. I'm happy to share the info and code with anyone who wants it.

Is that just a low level sensor or does it measure the oil? If its the latter, I could potentially do away with the dipstick completely then?

It measures - level, temperature and condition. The e320 does not have a dipstick

The W211 E320 does, because my donor engine came with one! Its on the intake manifold side, towards the rear of the engine.

Nick, The OM648 sump will need modification around the bell housing. My plan is to fill in the webs of the pan with weld where the holes need to be and drill/tap/helicoil them. (Or just drill depending on the access for bolts when it goes together).

• Like 1

mm ok, when i tried to buy one as a backup, the MB stealer told me it didnt.

I will need to do the bell housing mod, will be interested in pics if others have done it. Does it overlap? I thought there were places where i was going to have to weld extensions on...(not in front of it right now)