Mercedes om606 engine

It is, but there's an after-market standalone controller available for it.

What is wrong by transplanting the om606 and transmision with all the electronic trying to clean most the unwanted stuf from the doner car and adapting it to an LT230

Other than the electrical chalenge that most people hate (i have no problem with that ;)

Is there anything that is not reliable?

From what I've read it's an absolute electronic nightmare as it is a canbus wiring system, so litterary everything is connected to each other and it throws a hissy fit when something is not hooked up. I've read of one guy who made his own ecu or controller for the engine but it was a ton of work. The general opinion was to not bother trying to keep the electronics.

From what I've read it's an absolute electronic nightmare as it is a canbus wiring system, so litterary everything is connected to each other and it throws a hissy fit when something is not hooked up. I've read of one guy who made his own ecu or controller for the engine but it was a ton of work. The general opinion was to not bother trying to keep the electronics.

Canbus oh what a piece off sh@&&$$

What is wrong by transplanting the om606 and transmision with all the electronic trying to clean most the unwanted stuf from the doner car and adapting it to an LT230

Other than the electrical chalenge that most people hate (i have no problem with that ;)

Is there anything that is not reliable?

Using the engine ECU and some of the wiring is possible, but the standard gearbox controller needs to have the wheel speed sensors and everything at the right speed, so that needs to go.

Not at all i have it done. I'm using the standard ECU, it needs to be chipped to remove the immobilser key, but thats a 30 quid job.

Using the engine ECU and some of the wiring is possible, but the standard gearbox controller needs to have the wheel speed sensors and everything at the right speed, so that needs to go.

Not at all i have it done. I'm using the standard ECU, it needs to be chipped to remove the immobilser key, but thats a 30 quid job.

Does it read speed from abs sensors? If yes it is possible to take the 4 of them put them on a single bracket and install them after the transmission on a single toothed wheel . I saw that on a sprinter engine transplant

Hoss,

Would you have the length from fwd on engine to aft of gearbox. I know very little about auto gearbox and ecu's. So was discounting them from the very beginning. If I can make the unit fit with a remote transfer box, what exactly would be needed to get the auto box from the merc working.

Currently stripping the rrc 2door to the chassis. So decision time in terms of transmission. ...

cheers hb

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Bump - Any updates please? Watching this with interest as the power to weight ratio is amazing I should imagine it'll push a Landy along nicely.

I'm just wondering if you left the engine as it is from the car what would you have to transplant to the Land Rover to get it running without a rare/expensive mechanical pump? Is it simple enough to do for someone with very little electronics knowledge?

I haven't made much progress apart from getting the om606 and it even came with the rite pump that's needed a very lucky find.

Have spoke to someone about fitting bigger elements in the pump and giving it an overhaul but that's £695 so can wait a while.

He can. Also supply me a clutch and flywheel package at £450 unsure of what flywheel it is.

Gearbox wise it looks like I'm going to try a sprinter box as they look short and I can hopefully have a small prop made to join it to the transfer box.

I haven't made much progress apart from getting the om606 and it even came with the rite pump that's needed a very lucky find.

Have spoke to someone about fitting bigger elements in the pump and giving it an overhaul but that's £695 so can wait a while.

He can. Also supply me a clutch and flywheel package at £450 unsure of what flywheel it is.

Gearbox wise it looks like I'm going to try a sprinter box as they look short and I can hopefully have a small prop made to join it to the transfer box.

Clutches can be had for much cheaper than £450!

£189 will get you a flywheel and clutch, here's the link to the one we've fitted.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390548444875?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Does anyone know what clutch plate you would need to mate an OM606 to a LT95?

I see the sprinter single mass above sorts out the flywheel and pressure plate but I don't think the standard clutch plate will fit because it's a 10 spline plate.

I think Boyt mentioned it should be from a Mitsubishi but I'm struggling to find the right one.

Well in the link above, they seem to have had an adapter for the spline made. On the retro rides build, the guy used the merc clutch and flywheel but with the female splined insert from the landy clutch pressed and welded in to the merc fly wheel. It just happened to fit apparently!

• 2 weeks later...

I have sent a message to the company that don't the om606 in the series 3 want to see if they have drawing or will make more of the adapters.

Also been looking about since I saw that they used the 6 speed box mt 82 I'm guessing... Saw that this company say about a mt 85 dose any one know much info about it as I can't seem to find anything.

http://www.defendericon.com/land-rover-defender-performance/34/defender-icon---engine-conversions/

Also looking at the pics of the series 3 the gear stick is a long way back is this just because it all has to sit back a bit more because of the recess at the front...?