Engine and Component weights

My info on Volvos is:

Standard Volvo front axle weighs 150kg, the rear 130kg.

I'd guess that going discs shaves a little off.

I weighed a front at 140KG and a rear at 120KG with a portal tech disk conversion.

I think that a rover front axle with ARB, ashcroft shafts etc and a 10mm thick diff pan was 120KG. A rear rover with disk brakes, normal diff pan and ARB was ~ 100 KG.

Adrian

I think that it will also be interesting to know the weight of steel vs alloy wheels, "big" (35" and so on) tyres compared with stock 205s, rear seats (that will be usefull when preparing overlanding vehicles, where rear seats are normally taken away to gain cargo space).

The second row seats and the two rear fold down seats from a Discovery 2 weigh approximately 190 pounds on our bathroom scales - SWMBO was not home that day! This is a figure remembered from some time ago, but I think it is fairly accurate.

I can't remember the exact figures, but I do recall being very surprised that a 5/6mm steel winch bumper was only a mater of a few pounds heavier than the standard item that came off the same car (again according to our bathroom scales - and this time I remembered to wipe them clean).

Peter.

I think your bathroom scale may have just been at its upper limit, no way that a winchbumper is the same weight as a stock bumper. :hysterical:

You would be surprised how much steel reinforcement and fittings the plastic is covering.

Peter.

Well not an engine component, but as I had my Krawler off today I thought I might as well put it on the scale.

Info:

35"x13,5"-15" BFG Krawler on 8"x15" Modulars with beadlocks (somewhat heavy version with a rolled piece of flat-stock to close the bolts off)

Tyres are slightly cut/grooved but not much weight removed, a kilo tops!

post-9137-0-42876500-1367592202_thumb.jpg

Result: 52,5Kg

There heavy!!!!!

LOL, kinda are though but would hopefully keep the wheels pointing down most of the time.

That weight is for the fronts, I think the rears are about 50 Kg's lighter. I would like to weigh them myself somehow just to know.

Same with the GMC 6.2. I've seen weights around the 300Kg mark for it but not sure. It is tiny and it is quite light.

Getting one of these in the post in the next few weeks if all goes according to plan:

NapravazadniIII_zps235f0bff.jpg

You can add a Praga V3s portal axle weighs 332Kg.

Same stud pattern as the TRM which is handy for me.

Found this at Pirate (Nissan H233B rear axle)

Axle housing is the same in size, y61 is stronger at some places.

Y60/Y61 axle weights 136 kilogram

empty axle = 32 kg
diff clock = 40 kg
2x axle shaft + wheel hub = 34kg
Brake disks = 20kg
brake calliper = 10kg

Have weighed a couple more of my wheel combo's:

post-9137-0-93968100-1368285432_thumb.jpg

From the left:

Series 3 wheel heavily lightened with a 205 RRC tyre with no tube: 24,5kgs

Series 1 wheel completely stock with 600x16" tyre AND tube: 24,5kgs

And lastly, 285/80x16" Goodyear on wolfrace alloy with Heavy Duty 900x16" tube: 31,5kgs

Now I've heard so many times that alloys are no lighter than stock steel wheels, and while this may well be the case with LR Alloys, it certainly isn't with my wolfrace's.

Compare 31,5 kgs with the 52,5 kgs of my Krawlers on beadlocks and remember that these measure the same height but is a tad narrower, and you really see a weight difference.

I have also been weighting wheels and tyres at my bro´s place.

109" steel 16x5.5" = 11.5kg

Discovery steel 16x7" = 13.5kg

Discovery alloy NTC7739 16x7" = 10kg

lrwheels.jpg

Tyres:

(Left to right)

Hankook Dynamic RF-04 205/80R16 104 load rating

-725mm diametre

-12kg

Recip Trial remould 205R16

-750mm diametre

-18kg! :o

Insa Turbo T&C remould (50% tread) 7.50R16

-775mm diametre

-17.5kg

lrtyres.jpg

Everything weighted with a 25kg fish scale

From memory my bro said that a 109" Santana six cylinder Station Wagon bare chassis was 240kg

-

• 2 weeks later...
The don't sound right some how 20kg for a pair of discs???

I remembered this earlier whilst fitting an Alcon brake kit to a Land Cruiser, the Alcon discs are marginally larger than stock (5-10mm ish) and have separate bells so there's probably a few hundred grammes in the 20 or so bolts that you wouldn't have on standard discs but the pair of Alcon discs and bells weighed 24kg

The Alcon calipers are larger than stock four piston aluminium calipers and weigh 10kg for the pair. OE Toyota callipers are cast steel and are far heavier, though I didn't get chance to get an exact weight

Dan, are the Nissan brake components similar in scale to Land Cruiser parts? 100 series in this case

Dan, are the Nissan brake components similar in scale to Land Cruiser parts? 100 series in this case

Nothing like mate, patrols are seriously anemic in the brake department,

The brakes on my y60 are about the same size as 60 series,

Y61 discs are nearly the same size as '94 on 80 series, but the patrol is on crappy sliding calipers

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Evening.... not sure if this helps but as my truck is currently in bits... what would you like me to weigh?

LS3 fully dressed

6l90e

atlas case?

bare 44 bogger-v's built up?

bare 40" maxxis sticky?

spidertrax pro series axles casing?

my portal boxes?

rd 99 air locker in alloy case?

what type of scales are you guys using?..