Engine and Component weights

Evening.... not sure if this helps but as my truck is currently in bits... what would you like me to weigh?

LS3 fully dressed

6l90e

atlas case?

bare 44 bogger-v's built up?

bare 40" maxxis sticky?

spidertrax pro series axles casing?

my portal boxes?

rd 99 air locker in alloy case?

what type of scales are you guys using?..

All of it.... And while you are at it: we would love to see a build thread of your truck on here!

Daan

Evening.... not sure if this helps but as my truck is currently in bits... what would you like me to weigh?

LS3 fully dressed

6l90e

atlas case?

bare 44 bogger-v's built up?

bare 40" maxxis sticky?

spidertrax pro series axles casing?

my portal boxes?

rd 99 air locker in alloy case?

what type of scales are you guys using?..

I have been using a 500kg digital hanging scale, you could borrow it if you wanted Nathan,

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

As topic says, I'm obsessed with weight on different components on our dear Landys, so I thought why not make an official thread about it that myself and all others can contribute too along the way?

Now If I could get the Admin to pin it, it would be even better! :i-m_so_happy:

2,5TD engine complete: 250kgs

WP_20171217_15_28_34_Pro.thumb.jpg.e1d90e2861c9d852d7d33aaacfed6e89.jpg

3,5V8 with LT95 Complete: 320kgs

WP_20171217_15_02_26_Pro.thumb.jpg.47794206098c9f28ea77b7189656076c.jpg

Stripped but driving RRC 3,5 with LT95: ~950kgs

WP_20171105_10_36_43_Pro.thumb.jpg.38caca5078924274bebb6ba1bb18f6e7.jpg

There's a little something to start with, I'll add as I go along with my projects :) 

Wow and I even contributed myself.. But that's what you get when threads just slide into oblivion, which is why I would like it pinned. Could even just be the other one, then I could move my info over there.

Much the same with the Propshaft length thread that I think FF started, I needed it a while back and couldn't for the life of me find it again! I can't remember what the title was so finding it was far from easy.. Searching for 'propshaft length' on here gives like a billion hits :D 

49 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Is this the prop lengths thread if so it was mine. 

mike

it just might be :) Sure looks like the one I recall, just thought it was FF

13 minutes ago, Daan said:

Now Merged with the other weights thread. Shall I pin it to the top?

Daan

I would love so :) 

• Daan pinned this topic

Got another one today, as my old man is in the process of swapping his 5MB 2,25D for a 2,5TD I was able to weigh both. And honestly I expected them to be very similar. but the 2,5TD a bit heavier. But how wrong was I! The 2,25 was 20kgs heavier! Granted the clutch is fitted to it still and so is the alternator, none of that was on the 2,5TD, but it had the downpipe on. So I would say a maximum of 10kgs in those components, so that still leaves the 2,25 10kgs heavier.

WP_20171219_19_18_02_Pro.thumb.jpg.1620e37673636e9cac46498793c1342e.jpg

4 hours ago, elbekko said:

Stands to reason the 2.25 would have a bit more metal around the bores than the 2.5 (if it's a bore difference, that is), but if that's worth 20kg... doubtful.

Yes a good point, but I think its only stroke. Anyways its incredible that not even the turbo is enough to make the weights more similar. I was thinking that perhaps the timing belt setup is lighter than the all steel chain setup? Must several things that add up..

Clutch covers and alternators are relatively heavy, and I suspect the aluminium timing case and Kevlar belt are a lot lighter than the steel case and chain of the 2.25.  The heads, blocks and pistons, cam shaft and rocker gear would be the same, but the 2.5 crank is probably a little heavier. 

5 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Both had oil in? There's 7KG there ish...

Yup, though to be fair some of it from the 2,5 had drained as it had been tipped over, but not more than a couple of liters max

5 hours ago, Snagger said:

Clutch covers and alternators are relatively heavy, and I suspect the aluminium timing case and Kevlar belt are a lot lighter than the steel case and chain of the 2.25.  The heads, blocks and pistons, cam shaft and rocker gear would be the same, but the 2.5 crank is probably a little heavier. 

Yes I think you're quite right, but I'm still amazed that the 2,25 is actually heavier. Just look at the two fuel pumps and its much larger on the 2,5.. I'm getting a spare 2,25P 3MB in the near future, interesting to see what that weighs. Should be lighter with only 3MB. And it'll give me a good indication how much weight I can loose on the 80" if I choose another engine

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

A few weights for the the thread.

A sumb front axle complete with brakes is 324Kg. add some 16.00x20 Michelins with Daf wheels (why would you?) was 752Kg.

A cummins 6Bt is 480kg with ve pump and SAE3 flywheel housing. A 6Bt with P pump and SAE2 flywheel housing is 520Kg.

An LT230 without handbrake or oil is 48Kg

An Eaton 6 speed with hydraulic PTO is 202Kg

A weight I stole from the Bader site for one of their 404 axle builds at 205Kg

An LT95 with 101 bellhousing plus winch pto at 142Kg

A front of a C304 Volvo with no rear body on it at 986Kg

An A4 Audi quattro gearbox at 78Kg. 

I can update a TRM2000 rear axle at 335Kg and not the four hundred and something as quoted by a website somewhere.

IMG_7322.jpg

IMG_7321.jpg

IMG_7477.jpg

IMG_20160927_232954.jpg

IMG_1608.jpg

IMG_2384.jpg

IMG_5862.jpg

IMG_5606.jpg

IMG_1092.jpg