on board air all done

SteveG

picked up a viair 100% duty air compressor, 450C complete with onboard air kit.

Fitted it earlier this week. took longer for me to do than expected. More down to finding right location and getting some extra fittings.

The compressor is dust and moisture resistant but not waterproof so I decided to fit it inside. I had an arb compressor in the back of the hybrid and found that it got in the way so this time I fitted it behind the drivers seat.

comp004Medium.jpg

I also fitted the guage and on-off switch there too to keep all power cables as short as possible. The compressor draws max of 19A.

comp001Medium.jpg

I located the tank under the drivers seat as the TD5 has it's fuel tank at the rear. I replaced the standard 6mm compression fitting with right angle push-on types. I find these easier to work on and the right angle put less strain on pipe.

comp010Medium.jpg

It tucks up out of the way well, but I think I'll replace the drain plug with a blanking plug so that it doesn't get ripped off..

comp009Medium.jpg

Having the guage nearby meant that wiring was simple. Unfortunately the lead hose fitted to compressor was not long enough to reach the tank so I got some 8mm push-on fittings and 8mm pipe to extend it..

comp007Medium.jpg

I also fitted the female output fitting here too. This allows easy access via drivers door or I can also pull it through passenger door and reach both nearside tyres.

comp006Medium.jpg

Again, keeping everthing in one place kept plumbing to short runs..

comp008Medium.jpg

When I get a rear locker I'll change out combined pressure switch/relay to an 85-105 psi one. The current one is 150psi and it's a straight swap.

Cheers

Steve

Steve thats looks like a cracking job, well done very mneat and tidy certianyl not a JST affair!

i would consider something for the tank though and as you righly say the drain tap would benefit a change! incase it in some protection folded sheets etc.

whats the CFM on that then will it run an impact wrench?

Steve thats looks like a cracking job, well done very mneat and tidy certianyl not a JST affair!

i would consider something for the tank though and as you righly say the drain tap would benefit a change! incase it in some protection folded sheets etc.

whats the CFM on that then will it run an impact wrench?

CFM is 1.66 at 0psi and 0.72 at 150 psi. Wit the tank I would think that you could run an impact wrench on burst no problem. Personally I have had one of these for the past few years so I've had no need ;) ...

DW055K-2_1.jpg

Cheers

Steve

Well done Steve. When you come to fit lockers - why not leave your pressure switch as is and add a small in line regulator to regulate down to 85psi or so. That way you are getting an effective 50% increase in the capacity of your air tank and the reg will prob cost less than a new switch.

(that's what I've done incidentally)

Si

Well done Steve. When you come to fit lockers - why not leave your pressure switch as is and add a small in line regulator to regulate down to 85psi or so. That way you are getting an effective 50% increase in the capacity of your air tank and the reg will prob cost less than a new switch.

(that's what I've done incidentally)

Si

Good idea Si, i'll source one of those then :)

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

The tank will need draining quite regulary, mine have little push type valve, and its surpising how much condensate sits in the tank, a good eggcup full after a weekends use

not only will it rust your tank (eventually :rolleyes: ) but find its way into your tools/tyres etc

Very nice mate, this is one of my next jobs on the list, where did you get all the gear, it is the same as Matt Savage sells.

The only thing that would worry me a little is the blue air line, it looks a bit small to allow max flow from the tank, especially when you want a high flow rate for blowing tyres etc, the in-side would be fine as it is more than big enough for the supply from the compressor, and for the gauge, but may restrict the flow from the tank.

Very nice mate, this is one of my next jobs on the list, where did you get all the gear, it is the same as Matt Savage sells.

The only thing that would worry me a little is the blue air line, it looks a bit small to allow max flow from the tank, especially when you want a high flow rate for blowing tyres etc, the in-side would be fine as it is more than big enough for the supply from the compressor, and for the gauge, but may restrict the flow from the tank.

Yes it is, for some reason the 1007 100% duty kit is a lot lower in price on website ;) only 24 pounds more than compressor on it's own :)

The 6mm tube should be ok as it's universally used for pneumatic applications, but it's easy to change fittings as I did. Just get 1/4 BSP fittings with either 8mm or 10mm pipes. 8 & 10 are used in workshops/factories to feed airlines around so must be ok for air tool applications.

Tonk yes tank came with kit, it's a 2.5 Gallon (US) tank.

Cheers

Steve

i was just looking for ideas for a bigger reservoir and thought yours looked about the right size. do they do chrome ones? :D

I'm surprised they don't as they do chrome and pewter compressors!! :blink: The low riders in the US like these for their air suspension.

The tanks can be bought on their own and range from 25 pounds up to 67 for the 5 gallon one.

Cheers

Steve