Converting a series to auto AND the difference between a 200tdi and 30

EFILandRover

Hi,

Ive heard that you can convert series rovers to automatics by using a 200tdi box, and the bellhousing will bolt up. So... is this true? what do you do for the torque converter, and where does the transfer case lever end up being?

Also, I know of where I can get a box and transfer case but the guy doesnt know what they came out of. The only thing he can tell me is that it came out of a 1995 tdi :blink:

So whats the difference between the 300 and the 200 bellhousing?

Cheers

TDi Autos are rare as rocking horse poo. Good luck finding one for even vaguely sensible money - TDi Autos are soup of the day with the lockers'n'winches'n'simex boys, and their chequebooks are stronger than most people's.

Not sure about the bellhousing difference but the removable tail-casting is swappable with the movement of one dowel I think, potentially the same applies to the earlier 4-pots but not really my field of expertise. In fact my field of expertise is more of a grass verge of ignorance :unsure:

TDi Autos are rare as rocking horse poo. Good luck finding one for even vaguely sensible money - TDi Autos are soup of the day with the lockers'n'winches'n'simex boys, and their chequebooks are stronger than most people's.

Im in NZ so it may make a bit of a difference.

assuming the auto engines have the same block as the manuals & i cant imagine they'd be different the only difference is one or two studs dont quite line up. my 200tdi is bolted to a r380 out of a 300tdi & i seem to remember having two studs left over.

OK, basically, the gearbox you've got will work and the shift points should suit a series engine OK. Your big problem is the backplate. You'll need a 200Tdi auto backplate which has the rear main seal housing as part of the case as opposed to the 300 one where its a separarate housing. IIRC the 200 backplate should bolt onto the 2.5 TD, 2.5 and 2.25 N/A diesels and the 2.25 and 2.5 petrols. The problem is the 200Tdi backplates are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOO rare you could spend a lifetime looking and not find one! The other problem is that it'll be horrible to drive as it will be VERY short of power. The other problem will be mating it to a series t.box, it'll be easier to convert an LT230 to selectable 2/4 wheel drive. If its a SWB also remember that the ZF4 is a much longer box than the standard and you might run into issues.

My advice if you want auto is get a V8 and autobox complete and fit it.

Guest diesel_jim
The problem is the 200Tdi backplates are SO rare you could spend a lifetime looking and not find one! The other problem is

I know that Ashcrofts did have one... my old one, as i swapped it for a 300 one.

I've also got a complete 300 flex plate, starter ring gear and the little spacer shim things if anyone needs one.

Further comment on putting an autobox behind a 2.25 is not required.

Is that an 88" or a 109"? Putting an auto in an 88" will be [understatement] challenging [/understatement]. Not impossible, but they are all a bit long. I believe Martin Lewis has put a Dodge/727/LT230 into an 88" but the rear propshaft must have been something to see!

If it's a 109, you have many more options.