TD5 - uprated intercooler, worth it?

Sorry if this has been answered before but here it goes.

I have removed the EGR, cat and center box already. Looking for more upgrades.

Intercooler seems to be the next thing on the list but is it worth it? what type of performance does it provide?

I only have a standard turbo and I don't have a remap.

This may be a silly question but, do you get what you pay for or will cheap and cheerful do?

Without a remap you wont see much difference really.

For the money spent, remap will see far larger gains than an intercooler will, so if you only plan to do one thing, do the remap. IF you want to get the maximum out of the truck, which means big remap and increased boost, then the intercooler upgrade will help, as the turbos working harder and producing more heat.

You sort of get what you pay for, in that an expensive one will bolt in and connect up as per factory in about 10 minutes. A big ebay universal one will likely do just as good a job in terms of cooling, but its going to require fabrication, tweaking, pipework, adjustment etc etc.

I think that was about wht I was thinking alright.

I will get a remap at some point just that you should probably get the intercooler before the remap so that can be taken into consideration when the truck is mapped. Otherwise you'd have to have it mapped twice.

yeh exactly, if you plan to have a basic "stage1" type map, then it wont really matter if you do it before or after the intercooler, as typically stage1 tunes are just generic software and designed to be used on a stock engine.

If you plan to have stage 2>, then these are typically tuned to the modifications present on the car, and in these situations the additional cooling from the larger cooler will be a benefit.

• 2 weeks later...