The EBay Christ I fancy that 4x4 + its cheap thread

This has probably gone just about as far as it can, before you would struggle to make it into the vehicle you desire (assuming you wanted a winch challenge truck made from a 90). It even has the step in the foot well for either; Battery/hyd-tank/dry sump tank. And there is a few quids worth of box section, that looks to be close enough to the right place :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Landrover-Winch-Challenge-Chassis-100inch-1-link-Suspension-rose-Jointed-/261595116964?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3ce848b5a4

• 3 months later...

I Always wondered how the chains would stand up to challenge use. I never saw anyone using this setup in a competition.

Daan

The frogs used in ladoga were chain drive but they could only manage about 20-30mph. I guess it would be purely down to chain quality and type.

Mike

..motorcycle chains take some stress with being cycled through stretch and flex as the suspension moves - open to the elements - and returning lots of miles before needing changing.

Thats true. To an extent. As a YZF1000 owner, i can assure you that even the best of chains stretch at an alarming rate if theres decent power going through them..

I reckon with a strong engine those portal chains would be delivering backlash very quickly

Maybe it depends on the chain to some extent?

I had a very well used and abused Dumper which was chain drive , it was ancient and that chain never stretched - now I know it was a low power engine and small rpm but from flat out forward to flat out reverse was how it was used all its life on building sites and with a few tons on board I bet that put a lot of strain on it. I bet it never saw a grease gun from one year to the next and there was no adjustment setup, you had to slide both sprockets and chain onto the shafts. I only know that cost the crank sprocket which was about 9 inch diameter stripped all its teeth and a mate made me a new one. Re fitted with the original chain and it ran perfectly ( probably still does)'til it went to the sale a year later.

Compare that to my Merry Tiller cultivator- that used to need adjusting every time I pointed it to the potato bed and twice during the job till I put some Reynolds chain on it. After that I never have needed to touch it.

• 2 weeks later...