200 / 300 Tdi hybrid engine

o_teunico

Hi all!

I have came to the conclusión that the 200 Tdi Discovery that my brother gave me (rotten and with broken engine) is beyond repair. I will buy my own Discovery.

Secondhand late 200 and early 300 are in the same price range.

The preparation of the 300 will be cheaper, because I save the 10 to 24 spline conversion (I could use a 200 and 10 spline lockers and HD shafts, but they are more expensive than 24 spline ones).

In the 300 I can fit a EGR blanking kit but, what about electronics? A friend bought the "spider" bypass loom AMR4956 for the immobilizer, but was unable to locate where to plug it (suposedly the connector is located at the back of the ICE).

I have two spare 200Tdi engines. The big question is: can I fit the non-immobilizer injection pump from the 200 as a direct replacement for the 300 one? What about the injectors? That will create an absolutely electronic free 300.

As some of you will know, one of my "vapour build" projects is a 20 speed Mitsibishi-Rover gearbox. The 300 is suposed to be located further front into the engine bay, something desirable when fitting a longer gearbox. I have tried to tell the 200 vs 300 engine location difference by looking to propshaft lengths, but they are the same. Seems that R380 is longer than LT77. How much? LT77 is 94cm long drum brake to belhousing/flywheel housing joint.

Disco lt77 and def/disco r380 are near enough the same length it's only the def lt77 and stubby r380 (def retro fit in place of lt77) that are about 4" shorter.

Mike

I thought they were different Mike? The R380 is the same length as the HP22 auto, whereas the engine needs to be moved to get the auto behind a 200 tdi?

I thought they were different Mike? The R380 is the same length as the HP22 auto, whereas the engine needs to be moved to get the auto behind a 200 tdi?
In a disco the 200 and 300 engine are in near enough the same place the defender on the other hand has the engine about 4" futher back in n/a td and 200tdi.

Mike

The 300tdi is a easy to "de-immobilise" Spider bypass circuits are posted on these forums.

The stop solenoid immobiliser is also easily worked round. I don't think posting quite how is a good idea, but it takes around 2 minutes to do.

The 200 is considered a more simple and robust engine, however the 300 is easiler to get parts for.

IMHO Id have a 300tdi - just because there so common.

What about flywheel cover? After seeing this pictures it seems that theyr locating points are the same. That´s good for me because I could use a 200 spare engine as a test mule for the Mitsubishi gearbox adaptor and then transfer it to the running 300 in just one weekend.

200vs300.jpg

the20winchester20club20.jpg

mitsubishiflywheel.jpg