RR Classic brakes update `again`

coachman

Hello again ,since my writings of this morning I have since been up to my shed and adopted a method read equally this morning from the forum . TO ASCERTAIN WHETHER THE PUMP IS STUCK THEN STRIKE WITH HAMMER , read the message ,MORE A GOOD TAP I PERSONALLY THOUGHT So not being intimidated by this malfunctioning mechanical device I did indeed `strike it` with my `SMALL` hammer.Wow itdid the trick ,the pump actually slowed down and eventually stopped .

I thought now the brake ON problem would now be cured ,so engine started ,select D and prepare to move ,OH NO YOU DONT , mmm the problem still remains ,but I at least can eliminate the pump as it now energises and shuts down ,so the fault is elsewhere ,I shall now replace tthe PCRV. Any comments PLEASE .I shall attempt some photo`s of car on its new legs .Coachman :unsure:

post-36830-0-25683200-1369767802_thumb.jpg

post-36830-0-26956600-1369767825_thumb.jpg

post-36830-0-35802100-1369767896_thumb.jpg

post-36830-0-68324800-1369767969_thumb.jpg

Looking good in the pictures! Good news about the ABS pump.

Are you sure that it is the rear brakes that are stuck, and not the transmission brake? I would have thought that the car will move even with the rear brakes on. Have you checked that the handbrake is coming off? Or that the callipers are not seized and are free.

Yes I have checked the rear calipers and they are working freely , I have also repadded vand pinned the calipers and made sure of piston movement ,( both front and rear ). The car will `roll` freely ( with a push )untill I start the engine then the pump actuates and the brakes come on leaving no vehicular movement at all even in gear ( auto) the car gives a slight nose down feel when transmission is taken up .When the engine is stopped after several minutes the car can be `rolled ` again .

What significance has the ecu to affect the brakes ,could disconnecting the air suspension affect the brakes ,thankyou .coachman . :wacko:

Your car will have several ecu's for different systems. There is an engine ecu under the drivers seat, on top of that sits the air suspension ecu. The brake system also has an ecu which controls the abs and if fitted to your car the traction control. It takes inputs from the wheel sensors, vehicle speed the system pressure (pressure switch) etc. Disconnecting the air suspension will not make any difference unless you accidentally disconnected one of the wheel sensors.

From memory I think the ABS ecu is under the passenger seat along with the fuses and relays for the brakes. There is also a diagnostic plug which you can use to do a blink test and see if there are any faults. Have you seen that in the LandRover workshop manual?

Maybe it is just simply a faulty PRCV.

Your car will have several ecu's for different systems. There is an engine ecu under the drivers seat, on top of that sits the air suspension ecu. The brake system also has an ecu which controls the abs and if fitted to your car the traction control. It takes inputs from the wheel sensors, vehicle speed the system pressure (pressure switch) etc. Disconnecting the air suspension will not make any difference unless you accidentally disconnected one of the wheel sensors.

From memory I think the ABS ecu is under the passenger seat along with the fuses and relays for the brakes. There is also a diagnostic plug which you can use to do a blink test and see if there are any faults. Have you seen that in the LandRover workshop manual?

Maybe it is just simply a faulty PRCV.

Thankyou , I have onlydisconnected the air pipes at the rubber susp units everything else is still attached . Yes I have seen something re paassenger seat ,it is a case of knowing what to look for .coachman