sargejnr

90 vibration trouble

my dad has a 90 that hes built, he had trouble with the vibration being too much for him to handle at 40mph, (2 different sets of wheels) he took 1 set in and had them balanced and they filled nearly half the rim with wieghts so i think they were a bit out and we went up the road and his face lit up as we hit 50mph with no vibration but when he let off to slow down the vibration hit back, serious issues holding the 90 on the road, just wondering if any of you kind landy lovers could point us in the direction we need to go to sort this vibration out, forgot to mention he fitted a brand new steering damper aswell

Firstly is this a vibration or is this steering wobble?

There are quite a few places that could be causing a vibration, and prop shafts would be my first thought. Check the UJ's for play and have a look at the props themselves to see if they have any weights on them, or see if any may have fallen off. If they are out of balance they would cause a vibration, but usually the vibration comes in at a speed (say 40-50mph but would go if you slowed down or sped up.

Does the 90 have a lift on the suspension? This can cause bump steer because the front axle is rotated too far forward, which will make the steering wobble left to right under certain circumstances, such as hitting a pothole or going around a corner. This can be very worrying and sometimes the only way to stop it is to slow right down, almost to a stop. Other things that can cause this are worn bushes in the castor arms and the panard rod, preload not high enough on the steering swivels and worn or lose wheel bearings.

If your Dad is having trouble keeping it on the road I suspect you have the bump steer problem.

I hope this helps.

Sounds like steering wobble if he cant keep the thing in a streight line.

I'd be looking at the swivel preload.

I rebuilt my 90, and had a similar problem; also changed wheels, had them rebalanced twice. Had tracking checked 3 times, adjusted wheel bearings checked and adjusted pre tension etc etc.

Turned out the radius arm bolts were loose!!!! so I would check those along with the bushs.

Took a year to find that, by the guy who did the MOT.

I have a similar problem with my 110,that's been going on now for over a year.

A vibration felt through the steering wheel at around 50mph,that is most noticeable when on the power going up a slight incline.

I have checked or replaced everything.

All bushes and ball joints are new,polybush red's in the radius arms,new bushes in the A frame,new uj's.etc,etc.

The only thing that has stopped it completely is to take the front prop off,and run in diff lock.

So you would think that would point to a problem with the prop???I have tried 3 different props and the vibration persists.

I am now looking at,trying a brand new prop,then if that makes no difference,(as I expect it won't)I'm going to swap the diff.

It seems to be a common problem,that lots of people have.

We are rebuilding the 90 today, when we stripped the front down we found a fair amount of play in the ralco bush, hopefully when we rebuild it today with new ralco it will sort the issue, will keep you posted

Hi, We have the same issue with the Land Rover. Changed literally everything (changed front and back bushes, cardan shaft, A frame bushes, wheel alignment, and others) but we still haven't figured out the problem.

When it is at 1st gear and start to drive, a loud thud will come from the back and at like 40/50mph the land rover starts to vibrate alot.

The steering does not wobble though it just vibrates with the whole body. Did a wheel balance but when braking it goes to the drivers side (right hand side).

Also, recently we noticed that there is a noise like a pulley or something.... Can someone help us please because we are coming to a dead end? 

Edited by cinyy
Wrote bushed instead of bushes.

A fellow belgian club member went through a lot of trouble to finally find the cause in a defective damper on a brand new 110 2.2Td4.