Slightly OT: What gets oil off carpets

FridgeFreezer

The blood of said lodger I think would work well or at least make you feel better... (although you have to do it 'cos he's scary! ;):D ).

...sorry, no sensible suggestions, as you can probably tell by the state of my lounge carpet :(

The best and easiest thing I have found so far is hair shampoo …………. Rub into carpet then sponge off ……….. bingo …….works every time........................ ordinary fairy washing up liquid comes in as a colse second.

I’ve lost count of the rollickings that I have had off of the boss for that offence. :rolleyes:

Ian

I accidentally got diesel engine oil on my blingy 'peach' (shut yer face Mr Cordell! :rtfm:) velour sofa, and thought that it wouldn't come out, but that 'Vanish' stain remover for upholstery, carpets, etc, did the perfect job. In fact - did it so well, the rest of the suite now looks grubby :(

Les :)

rather than disconnect the SAFTEY EARTH!!!

use a wet/dry vacuum..

Will you are capt'n dangerous

Yes, this is probably a more sensible idea :P However, a friend of mine discovered ordinary hoovers worked pretty well at picking up liquids with the earth removed but really didn't like it otherwise.

I accidentally got diesel engine oil on my blingy 'pink' (shut yer face Mr Cordell! :rtfm:) velour sofa, and thought that it wouldn't come out, but that 'Vanish' stain remover for upholstery, carpets, etc, did the perfect job. In fact - did it so well, the rest of the suite now looks grubby :(

Les :)

Corrected your obvious mistake

I accidentally got diesel engine oil on my slightly suspect pink ' (shut yer face Mr Cordell! :rtfm:) velour sofa and matching poufe, and thought that it wouldn't come out, but that 'Vanish' stain remover for upholstery, carpets, etc, did the perfect job. In fact - did it so well, I cannot find it now :(

:blink:

Carburettor cleaner works like magic! You don't even need to rub at the carpet because the oil just vanishes straight into the underlay.

It's also very effective at removing emulsion paint - as I once discovered whilst attempting to remove oil from the sitting room wall :(

what type of carpet is it?

synthetic? wool? tufted? wilton? mix? shag?

if it is a wool then you will get colour bleed with just about anything.

If you really really want to be clever then you could go down to a dry cleaners and ask if you can buy some of their spotting chemicals. These remove just about any stain from very very delicate Dry Clean only items. You will have to tell them what sort of stain it is (ie oganic oil, car oil etc etc) and it will probably cost you a tenner but they are the most likely to get them out. I don't which spotting chemicals they will use as there's at least a dozen makes(we use Seitz which have around 8 different chemicals for different jobs).

Aply sparingly (pre-test first though) with the back of a smooth implement (we use bone batons but i doubt you would have one of these just lying around), a spoon should do the job. gently agitate the chemical on the spots of stain- ask your dry cleaner whether their chemicals can be used with steam (some can't)- if so then use a steam iron (or even better a steam cleaner) to lift the chemical out of the carpet and sponge away- then use bog standard carpet shampoo and wash the carpet- then give a good hoover.

If you want to get really anal then you could do the following:

Apply dry-cleaning solvent, blot

Repeat dry-cleaning solvent, blotting frequently.

Apply detergent solution, blot.

Apply ammonia solution, blot. (teaspoon household ammonia with 1/2 cup of water)

Apply vinegar solution, blot. (to neutralise the ammonia- use a colourless strong vinegar- white wine or something cheap. Acetic acid Dil. would also work)

Rinse with water, blot until dry

if this doesn't get it out then you either need to get a professinoal (who will do the above with more agressive chemicals and truck mounted carpet cleaners), or write your carpet off!

Jon

Cleaning carpets there are a few rules. First never scrubb a carpet , you should dab it . Scrubbing will cause the pile to Bust and then you will have a bigger problem of a bit of the carpet looking differant to the rest. This will make you wish you had left it as the satin would look better than that.

Best suff for cleaning is carbon techurecloride (or how ever you spell it) which unfgortunatly is now baned(this is what they used to use in Dry cleaning) It was great stuff, after cleaning the carpet with this stuff you did not care if there was a stain as you were floating on the ceiling anyway :)

The stuff most people in the trade us now is Ambercil, (which Halfords sell as Grome).

In the trade 1001 and all those products are the work of the devil and will knacker carpets

Along with Vax cleaners which are carp and ruin carpets more than they clean them. Ask anyoine who has one and they will admit that they started cleaning their carpet onece a year then once a month and then once a week, because somthing is up with the carpet and it gets dirter quicker. The reason for this is the Vax pumps detergent and water into the carpet , but does not have the power to get it back out and then leaves it there where it gets sticky and attracks dust and dirt. Also the water you pumped in sits under the carpet on top on the rubber under and rots the carpet form the backing.

As pugwash said, what type of carpet is it , wool, Nylon , solution dyded Nylon,Poloypropaelyne, Polyester,Anton , zeylon, (and other maufactures name for basically nylon)

If it is wool then wool is a natural fiber and can get most stains out. With just a tiny amount of detergent. (biggest mistake people do is to put loads and loads of detergent on and then they never got it out and this makes the carpet sticky and then you end up with a stain than you had in the first place, This happens will all sort of carpets.)

If nylon (or the rest of the Man Mades except soulution dyed)

These have to have a stain guard type on them , as they will stain as easy as any thing in there natural state. So you will be guarrentied that they will have it.

The soulution dyed Nylon you can clean with bleach , but make sure you have one of thoses before you do it as it will ruin any other type of carpet

Jon is it your carpet or your parents carpet. If it is your parents carpet then it was Victoria's Tudor Twist 40oz (10th Gauge) 80% wool 20% Nylon. Twist pile carpet, Colour Lancaster Straw. If my memory serves me right

Jon is it your carpet or your parents carpet. If it is your parents carpet then it was Victoria's Tudor Twist 40oz (10th Gauge) 80% wool 20% Nylon. Twist pile carpet, Colour Lancaster Straw. If my memory serves me right

Ok scrap that just read your first post correctly this time :)