Freelander smoking!!

cadser

My 05 freelander has started to smoke - Worse than Woodbines! TD4 2litre

At constant revs whilst travelling the power will drop off and the car lurches as if i have pressed the brake - and smoke comes from the exhaust - black. Sometimes the power will came back and then off again and more smoke.

If i let it idle whilst not travelling it seems ok!

Just occatioanlly whilst idling there is a kind of deep roaring like air been dragged through some thing that is not open correctly and is making some thing resonate.

Any help please before i take it to a garage will be appreciated. (or we buy any car).

Brian

As above^^^^

The intercooler hose to the front left of the engine bay as you look at it is often the culprit. Its a stupid design as it runs unprotected past one of the mounts for the engine cover and it rubs on the screw head there as the engine vibrates.

Hi

Have very similar problem, any advise will be really appreceated.

Car: Freelander TD4 2001

Symptoms:

- car starts and idle absolutely perfect

- as soon as it drives below turbo limit everything looks just fine.

- pushing gas pedal slowly from around 1.5-1.7 RPM makes car accelerate really really slow.. to explain, it's feels very similar to turbo lag..

- with gas pedal pushed harder car accelerates better, but with slight noise from compressor.. couple of days ago it starts to smoke a bit while accelerating...

Question - am I on the right track thinking to dismount and inspect turbo compressor... with repair kit as a best case and replacement as a worst case scenario?

Yuri

P.S. sorry for weird technical English, I am not a native speaker =)

Made an inspection today, actually everything seems to be much simpler.. an air pipe which goes to intake manifold dont have (or its gone) a lock (sorry no idea how it calls properly).. so it partially went out from plastic part of manifold making a hole.. I think it's a reason, so it sucks an extra air, more fuel with slight black smoke as a result...