New rear 1/2 Chassis?

Jen

Everyone's always recommended Richards to me, but the chassis was better than I thought and I don't want a hole ( ;):D ) one now.... so do we have any recommendation's as to where to buy a new rear 1/2?

Obviously I could just go out and buy one, but any experiences of those on here would be welcome B)

Thanks!

Jen

Everyone's always recommended Richards to me, but the chassis was better than I thought and I don't want a hole ( ;):D ) one now.... so do we have any recommendation's as to where to buy a new rear 1/2?

Obviously I could just go out and buy one, but any experiences of those on here would be welcome B)

Thanks!

Jen

you are really planning to beat jon to 7s next year then :)

You can try - doubt you'll beat me to it, whether you beat me when we're there or not comes down to driving skill... oh arse :(

Back on topic - I've heard non-gen ones don't always feature the right holes/lugs whre they should be, which can make life hard when you try to refit parts that should bolt straight on...

Thanks Jon, I thought that might be the case :unsure:

I'd like George to be at 7S next time... but my lack of understanding about gearbox's and fear of doing the bulkhead wrong could be a deciding factor! <_<:lol: ..however, there is talk about 'rescuing' a S1 from someone who doesn't want it anymore, so I could be there in a Series! :ph34r:

Jen,

i've no idea who a good supplier for rear half chassis would be or the cost involved, but if u're going to all that trouble and its that bad i'm guessing it will need new dumb irons too?

if u have got to remove the bulkhead for repairs aswell, maybe a good idea to rechassis with a galv one? probably quicker and longer lasting in the long run.

Is there such a thing as a genuine 1/2 chassis?

Possibly not, but there's good ones (EG Richards Chassis have a rep for attention to detail) and cheap ones (Paddocks pattern parts stylee, made from finest dairy milk by someone whose brother once spoke to a man in a pub who'd seen a LR chassis once).

If you're rebuilding the vehicle you may end up using the chassis as a datum point so it's rather helpful to have holes in the right places, not half an inch away from where they should be - or not there at all!

Thanks Mark,

That had been the original plan all along, but to be honest the front almost 3/4 is pretty much perfect, I've found one hole about the size of a 5p and I've been over the whole thing brushing it down/prodding/poking etc. Tbh the rear isn't that bad and would probably be fine for the next 5 years... but it has been repaired and like anything 2nd hand, I'm not sure how well. That and whilst it's all stripped down (it's literally just a bulkhead and chassis atm) I thought I might as well replace it.

... I donno. So many options! Just seems a shame to throw it away when it appears 75% perfect <_<

prices?

About £90 for a 1/4 (which would probably suit me fine)

or £250 for a 1/2

Link here

Compared to the £763 for a Richards whole late IIA Chassis.

The £500 would go a nice way towards paying for some other bits and pieces should I decide to go with the half... Mm, a bit more standing in the garage staring into space first me thinks... :ph34r:;):D

How's your truck Tonk? Did you do any major chassis replacement or is it all lookin' good?

my truck is over 40 yrs old (well the chassis is :D ) , i had to change the rear cross member and the front dumb irons, the rest is in good nick, although i have replaced the rear xmember again since, nothin wrong with wot was on there but i wanted a stronger one :P

with series chassis u tend to find its the ends that rot off and outriggers go, the main chassis tends to survive quite well, maybe thats cos lr's always have oil leaks :rolleyes:

if u go for rear xmember only the get one with extensions on, quicker and easier to weld on, plus if u just chop the rear xmember off there is always more rot at the end of the chassis than u first thought for.

Thanks for the advice Tonk B)

I think that's why the front 1/2 survived so well - oil leaks! :rolleyes::lol:

I've got 1 free day next weekend, so when I've finished wax-oiling the Mini I'll have another look and make a decision :blink: I was thinking of a modified stronger x-member anyway, build in potential for a rear winch etc.

• 2 weeks later...