Oil in intercooler pipe-Good or bad

jpk

Evening all

While faffing around on the car today (200tdi), I found traces of oil in the top intercooler pipe. Not a lot but I was just wondering if this is normal. I'm not quite sure how the airflow works through a turbo so I'm not quite sure where the oil comes from. Should I be terrified, mildly concerned or just go sit in the corner?

thank you

JP

Technically I suppose you could say this is very bad but in the real world it is quite normal........ there is no supposed to be oil in there but it gets there anyway.

Have you got any oil in the aur filter assembly as well?

The oil will either be getting into the intercooler via the turbo itself ( worn bearings ) or it could be coming from the breather off the crankcase going into the airfilter and passing through the whole turbo / intercooler plumbing.

Unless you have a lot ( like runny oil rather than black sooty muck ) then do not be too worried. As it starts to get more start to worry more and when it is actually dripping out of the joints in the intercooler plumbing it is time to cry :D

Hope that has put your mind at rest rather than sent you into a flurry of woe!

David

LLAMA 4x4

New online stotre

• 1 year later...

dont know where to start. Bought my defender 200 tdi about 4 months ago. Noticed there was no air filter so promptly fitted one. about a month later oil started leaking out of intercooler pipes. I noticed an oil catch tank in the engine bay(not plumbed in) asked the bloke about it and he told me it wasnt needed as a recon turbo, head and new breather had been fitted. so i hoped he had just forgotten to clean out the intercooler. i did this and all the pipes thoroughly. about a month later same problem. a boost gauge is fitted and its running up to 0.8 bar. Smoke screw seems to have been correctly adjusted as i get black smoke on full throttle. I really want to get this engine sorted cos it drives really well. incidently when you take off oil filler cap there seems to be a fair bit of pressure, same at the dipstick.

:unsure:

help appreciated

cheers

Robbo

Technically I suppose you could say this is very bad but in the real world it is quite normal........ there is no supposed to be oil in there but it gets there anyway.

Have you got any oil in the aur filter assembly as well?

The oil will either be getting into the intercooler via the turbo itself ( worn bearings ) or it could be coming from the breather off the crankcase going into the airfilter and passing through the whole turbo / intercooler plumbing.

Unless you have a lot ( like runny oil rather than black sooty muck ) then do not be too worried. As it starts to get more start to worry more and when it is actually dripping out of the joints in the intercooler plumbing it is time to cry :D

Hope that has put your mind at rest rather than sent you into a flurry of woe!

David

LLAMA 4x4

New online stotre

robbo,

Black smoke on full throttle is unburnt fuel, so your Fuel injection pump has been tinkered with.

The pressurisation of the crankcase can be caused by a breached head gasket allowing combustion gases into the crankcase.

First, however, check that the crankcase breather pipe and the cyclonic separator on the rocker cover are clear. Check the oil level too, to make sure that it's not overfilled (There was a chap on here a while ago who had the wrong dipstick fitted to his! ).

Oil leaking from the turbo can also put plenty of oil into the system downstream of the turbo.

HTH

Mo

First, however, check that the crankcase breather pipe and the cyclonic separator on the rocker cover are clear. Check the oil level too, to make sure that it's not overfilled (There was a chap on here a while ago who had the wrong dipstick fitted to his! ).

HTH

Mo

Hi all sorry to highjack thread but is there any difference in the dipstick form the 300tdi and the 200tdi apart from the color of the top .

cheers Iain

thanks western

am i right that the green top is 300 and yellow 200

Cheers Iain

Nope, Cos I've seen Discovery 200Tdi engines with a plastic ring in either colour, Defender type 200Tdi has a metal ring top to it's dipstick, no plastic T handle, but every 300Tdi I've seen has a yellow plastic T top handle

thanks guys i have a 200 disco engine in my 110 and it has a yellow cap and a green dipstick but as it has bits off different land rovers thought i would check . going to do an oil change and measure the oil and see were it goes to on the stick .

Thanks again

Iain

Yep :) well mines a 200 and its yellow

thats cos yours is a Discovery 200Tdi from a later vehicle, early ones had a green oil fill cap & dipstick handle.

the yellow colour came in so all fluid top up points were easily recognisable for garages & owners, more than likely to comply with some stupid Euro Directive from all the sprouts in brussels.

right done a bit of google searching

Defender 200Tdi with yellow oil cap & metal ring end dipstick [wonder if the owner can identify his own engine]

Discovery 200Tdi with green oil cap & green dipstick plastic ring end

Defender 200TDi with green oil cap

post-20-1215380333_thumb.jpg

post-20-1215380463_thumb.jpg

post-20-1215380669_thumb.jpg

The pressurisation of the crankcase can be caused by a breached head gasket allowing combustion gases into the crankcase.

HTH

Mo

Pressurisation also obviously commonly caused by worn bores and/or valves - you'd be able to check all this though if head was off.....